Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times

Advertisements

Delaware has changed in many ways, including the landscape, the influx of new people, and lifestyles. Along with that, other changes are coming, as with automobile inspection procedures, and Yes, taxes will be going up. With roads in such poor condition from being overloaded with many more cars, how could taxes not go up? Delaware's face is changing, and rapidly, in my opinion.

doctorjef brought up a good point in regard to contacting state representatives and senators. That is such an easy task in this small state, and so few citizens take the time to do so. Politicians are known on a first name basis in most of Delaware, and our V.P. is still just "Joe". Once warm weather settles in, we'll be seeing lots of them in parades, community events, and even shopping areas. They are very approachable. Since I'm in Kent County, when the Legislature is in session, I visit there often to keep abreast of what's going on in our State, but unfortunately, there are less than a handful of interested parties in the balcony, and usually the same faces. And, the legislators even know us on a first name basis now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
I think even with the inevitable rise in taxes, Delaware will still be cheaper than most other states, certainly as far as real estate property tax and the absence of a sales tax; the latter is a sacred cow that it would be unthinkable to change. I suspect we'll see modest rises in real estate and income taxes. At present I would consider the state income tax pretty modest, although it's at about the median relative to other states that have an income tax.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
Great thread. Thanks for returning to the topic of advantages of retiring in DE. We are thinking of doing the same. We really want to be within a mile or two of a beach, and we also want a town where there will be a fair number of year round residents (ideally, mostly residents age 50+, but that's not a big issue).

Does anyone have a suggestion of a town that meets this criteria? Right now we're in love with Rehoboth but are nervous about something we heard that many (maybe all) of the homes are on land that can only be leased, not bought.

So far, that seems to be the one big disadvantage to retiring in DE, as well as the fact that we would be an hour or two from the nearest major airport. But.... I'm hoping that perhaps I'm wrong and somebody on this forum knows things we don't know. (We've only just begun our search so it's likely there's a lot I don't know.)

Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 PM

If you are talking about the town of Rehoboth proper, within its city limits, the properties are fiercely expensive! There is an area of Dewey called "Rehoboth by the Sea" where it's all land rents that expire in a rather short amount of time (often 12 to 16 years). I wasn't aware that this is the case, however, with most of the homes in Rehoboth itself -- I don't think it is, but someone else here will be able to tell you better than I can. The bigger problem is how much homes in town actually cost. If you are happy, on the other hand, to live west of Rt 1, you can get something much less costly. As to the age demographic you are looking for, I would think that Lewes is a better match; again, homes in town are expensive, though not necessarily as outrageous as ones in Rehoboth. What's your price range?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Right now we're in love with Rehoboth but are nervous about something we heard that many (maybe all) of the homes are on land that can only be leased, not bought.
That's not true. A portion are Leasehold along the water in Dewey Beach, and also in Lewes east of the canal. In South Rehoboth, there are properties improved by older homes on the ocean block, and 1, 2, 3, 4, blocks (or more) from the ocean in Fee Simple, and also in other parts of Rehoboth. In South Rehoboth, and North Rehoboth, expect to pay $700,000 and up for a property. Others in pristine condition are over a million.

Waterfront condos seem cheap, but when you add on the ground rent and condo/homeowners fees, they are not. It seems to me that most condos in Rehoboth and Dewey are owned by investors and are utilized as income producing properties.

Last edited by rdlr; 07-02-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Waterfront condos seem cheap, but when you add on the ground rent and condo/homeowners fees, they are not. It seems to me that most condos in Rehoboth and Dewey are owned by investors and are utilized as income producing properties.
Yeah, I agree that if we could live inland a little more it would be a much better buy. The thing is my husband is insistent that we live no more than walking distance from a beach. It can be a beach on the bayside but it has to be a beach.

Our vacation is over, and as we drove back to VA I tried to point out a few communities that looked cute to me. He was adamant--there has to be a beach. So.... guess I'll just have to find the best buy I can, even though I know it's going to be difficult.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:46 PM

728 posts, read 1,783,380 times
Spamming this pic, love it so much. This is one benefit...

Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM

215 posts, read 312,346 times
Default Newbie for Delaware Retirement

Hello, everybody! This is an older thread, but I hope there are still people out there who could advise concerning the benefits of retiring to Delaware. There is no question the state has so many advantages for seniors. (including what is shown in that beautiful photo in the post above mine.)

I guess, for me, personally, I am looking for more of a university environment, some history, and being close to MD where I grew up. I understand the more northern part of Delaware would fill the bill nicely, but I have no experience with it other than to visit, visualize myself eventually visiting Winterthur, and enjoying the Air Transport Command restaurant back in the day.

I love Delaware and would be more inclined to retire there than MD because of its tax advantages. Could anyone please share some insight as to where I might find what I'm looking for? Weather is not a concern since I will be moving back down from New England and can adjust to things in DE quite nicely in that regard.

I appreciate any thoughts. Thank you!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 AM

A lot depends on what price range of home you can afford. Leaving that aside, if you want a college town environment, Newark - home of the University of Delaware - would seem to fit the bill. There are many nice areas surrounding the City of Wilmington proper, varying pretty widely in home values from one neighborhood and area to another. One has plenty of amenities up here, including easy proximity to things and points of interest in SE PA.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,982,812 times
I probably should not even bring this up, but when I was working, maybe fifteen years ago, I did do some retirement research and found that the bottom two of the three counties in Delaware had some additional advantage to seniors. It may have just been the property tax school exemption, which is offered in all three now. It may be that I found out that the tax rates varied a lot.

Sorry that I could not be of more help, but you might want to do more research.

I would rather pay a bit more and be in a college town, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware