Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 AM

310 posts, read 778,189 times

Advertisements

There's nothing to do, so look at all the money you save!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:20 AM

903 posts, read 3,506,592 times
I must beg to differ with itdontcare... there is plenty to do in DE! Even for retired folks, as has been mentioned, are somewhat catered to in this state. While we are not retirement age yet, I have met lots of people that have retired to DE and love it. About the only ones I have met so far that aren't happy in their decision are those that retired here to be close to adult children, and have not found their own niche outside of the children/grandkids. But that would be an issue no matter where one retired.

My parents moved to DE a year ago, with the intention of retiring (officially, they are in their 70's) and being close to me and my kids. They have found a church, and dad loves having access to the base since he is retired military as well. Slowly, they are exploring the surrounding area, and we are already finding that THEY are not easy to catch up with... they are too busy with their new life! A lot truly depends on how much you yearn for where you move from, and whether you embrace the new place, people, etc.

On a practical note, my folks are VERY happy with the medical community they have become involved in. As patients, not professionals. Frankly, that was their biggest concern, as both have health issues that we all know need to be pretty high on a priority list.

As far as the financial aspect, I can't speak there. My parents chose to rent, primarily due to their age and physical health. The difference in rent compared to where they moved from (central NC) was a hard nut to crack, as their rent was ridiculously cheap in NC. But then again, the public services (police, fire dept, etc) left a lot to be desired there. I believe I can say they are very happy with their choice to spend their twilight years here in DE.

Mary

Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 AM

392 posts, read 991,368 times
Agreed! Mary..........hubby & I are your parents age and we have our place here and in process of moving permanently very soon. There is plenty to do and we will never be bored. We like to do a variety of things like, ocean & beach days, fishing, crabing, shows, gardening, etc. etc. etc....we love Delaware.
CaroleM

Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 32,413 times
Default Didn't Think I'd Ever Have to Explain All-American Values

Appears I stepped on someone's sensitivities when I used the term All American values. I never thought that term would need explaining but in today's society there are some folks who are looking for hidden meanings in everything I guess. It's simple. I grew up in New England in a diverse community, attended a diverse public school systerm, sermed in the most diverse group in the US, the US military, and served the public as a shopping center president and owner of a retail outlet, then as a non-profit exec for more than 20 years serving the same military service members I served with professioally for 22 years. If I have something to say, I say it as I believe it without hidden meanings. All-American means love of country, family, friends, the flag, our government and the willingness to stand up and be counted for what you say or do.
Smiling at strangers, welcoming new folks into your neighborhood without pre-conceived notions or opinions. Apple pie, the American flag, mom, etc. Hope that clears up what I meant. I live now at Heritage Shores Active Adult Community in Bridgeville which is typical small town East Coast America as I have always known it. The community of 400 homes is diverse and open and as friendly a place as I've ever been. There's more to do for most retirees here than there is time to do it, but at your option, no programming no requirements. We don't care where you come from or what you look like just that you're a good neighbor and friendly. Not too much to ask. But the flag flies throughout the community with pride and we participate in our local community, government and greater Sussex county. If you wish to retire to that kind of place, check us out. You'll find All-American values are the same ones you were taught in school in the 50's before the Left Coast changed American education forever.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzt View Post
Appears I stepped on someone's sensitivities when I used the term All American values. I never thought that term would need explaining but in today's society there are some folks who are looking for hidden meanings in everything I guess.
You really didn't step on most people's sensitivities. Most knew what you meant. But there's always someone who wants to take something and turn it into a negative. I know that wasn't your intent.

What you described is what most of us seek. Congratulations for finding it. I hope to be as lucky when I relocate.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,983,409 times
Unfortunately I'm in a bind here because to respond meaningfully will probably invite the moderator to delete my post as tangential and "unnecessary". So I'm happy you found a community that apparently largely practices the pretty universal human values that most people hold dear. It isn't necessary to hold a belief in American exceptionalism in order to uphold standards of human decency and to support the Constitution and representative democracy.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 AM

6 posts, read 18,487 times
Right on Doc Jef!

I like that phrase "universal human values". Right on! I think your statement is a very positive. I agree people the world over have the same needs and desires.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Of course most people all over the world have the same needs and desires, however, like tazzt and Charley I see nothing wrong w/ the term all-American values, sheesh, it's posts like this that make a lot of people lurk and think twice before posting. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, hopefully we can get back on topic.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 18,487 times
Honeycrisp,
Your entitled to your view of the world. Thank God I am not intimated by your posting as I think you would discourage anyone from joining.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,229 times
No posts here for quite a while- gee, I wonder why? IMHO I look forward to retiring in the USA, most likely in Delaware, and as half of my family being 1st-gen legal immigrants will testify, there may be many universal human values, but most other countries can lack the freedom to express and enjoy these.. even those who perhaps seem a bit intolerant of the phrases 'American exceptionalism' and 'all-American' are free to be so here, it would be interesting to see similar criticism expressed as a retiree and citizen in China or Iran of 'Chinese exceptionalism', or 'all-Iranian' for example..One would be at risk to challenge these ideas as openly over there.
So we will retire here, and would actually be honored to live among those in our military who would voluntarily and proudly risk their lives to defend the rights of our citizens- even those who have a world view that there is not an exceptional quality to the American experience. Suit yourself within the armchair of your freedom to do so. Perhaps in Delaware.
A discussion about taxes and cost of living, crime statistics, and availability of services to retirees may be more useful to the readers of this forum, however.

Last edited by bellavida; 12-29-2009 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware