U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM
 
27 posts, read 83,276 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
The immediate dentures are so you do not have to walk around without teeth. They are not a replacement for teeth....they are a replacement for not having teeth. They are serving their purpose. I do believe many dentists should do a better job educating patients who think they will be able to bite into apples and chew a sandwich with their denture. It's just a piece of plastic to chomp on.
Are you a dentist? If not, show me a link to a dentist website that says the nonsense you just did.

Post a quote from a website then a link just like this:
Quote:
What is an immediate denture? An immediate denture is a complete denture or partial denture inserted on the same day, immediately following the removal of natural teeth.

What are the advantages of an immediate denture?
There are several advantages of an immediate denture. The most important factor is that you will never need to appear in public without teeth. It is also easier to duplicate the shape, color and arrangement of your natural teeth while some are still present in your mouth. When an immediate denture is inserted at the time of extraction, it will act as a Band-Aid to protect the tissues and reduce bleeding. An immediate denture will allow you to establish your speech patterns early. You will not have to learn to speak without a denture in place and then later relearn to speak with a new denture. An immediate denture will also allow you to chew better than without any teeth and minimize facial distortion that may occur when teeth are removed.
https://www.dentistry.uiowa.edu/pati...diate-dentures

Last edited by sleeplesstoo; 07-07-2015 at 06:17 PM..

 
Old 07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
 
27 posts, read 83,276 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
According to the dentist I went to, this was a common conversation in his treatment chair:
Patient: "The first thing I'm gonna do when I get those new teeth is go get a big thick STEAK!!"
Dentist: "NO, you won't. Those new teeth won't fit well enough for that! After the swelling goes down, and we get your dentures well fitted, THEN you can get that steak!"

Patient (a week later): "Boy, doc, you were right! I tried that steak, and I just couldn't chew it!"

As the saying goes; "WELL, DUHHH!"
Yeah, I agree, that's like real dumb. However, I am talking about not being able to chew even mashed potatoes without getting sore gums...
 
Old 07-07-2015, 06:51 PM
 
1,552 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesstoo View Post
Are you a dentist? If not, show me a link to a dentist website that says the nonsense you just did.

Post a quote from a website then a link just like this:
https://www.dentistry.uiowa.edu/pati...diate-dentures
Yes I am a dentist. But I do not do dentures for several reasons, but mainly because so many of the patients have unrealistic expectations. They cannot understand why boots on a rooster don't work. Go figure. I completely agree with your above explanation from that other website.
 
Old 07-08-2015, 05:31 AM
 
27 posts, read 83,276 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Yes I am a dentist. But I do not do dentures for several reasons, but mainly because so many of the patients have unrealistic expectations. They cannot understand why boots on a rooster don't work. Go figure.
You think you're so smart because you went to dental school and managed to graduate, don't you? How dare you assume one is stupid because they don't realize that dentures that are ill fitting (which is apparently the large majority of the immediate denture cases) can simply not function as regular teeth? How dare you mock someone who puts his hopes on people like you, the so called "experts", to give them the correct advice, not some false expectations?


Do you think I would have been a real idiot to agree to pay almost $4000 for a set of dentures just to smile? Do you actually think that doctors tell their patients: "you won't be able to eat with them, but hey, at least you'll be able to smile again... " ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Yes I am a dentist. But I do not do dentures for several reasons...
Maybe the main reason you should not do dentures is because you are not a prothodontist??

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I completely agree with your above explanation from that other website.
Ah, so now you agree because you know it's an accurate definition.

Very different explanation from your original first reply, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32
Immediate dentures are temporary dentures. The price you pay for having teeth (dentures) placed immediately is that they do not fit

Last edited by sleeplesstoo; 07-08-2015 at 05:50 AM..
 
Old 07-09-2015, 09:51 AM
 
611 posts, read 517,874 times
Reputation: 1030
You are the classic dental patient who refuses to accept responsibility for their own choices. The title of this thread says it all - "FORCED to buy Immediate Dentures". No one forced you. In fact, several dentists advised you NOT to get immediate dentures. You went around until you finally found a dentist who told you what you wanted to hear. Even then, explain how they FORCED you to agree to the treatment? Did they hold a gun to your head? You had the option to do dentures the traditional way, you just didn't want to. Stop saying that you were forced to do anything.
 
Old 07-09-2015, 03:13 PM
 
27 posts, read 83,276 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
You are the classic dental patient who refuses to accept responsibility for their own choices. The title of this thread says it all - "FORCED to buy Immediate Dentures". No one forced you. In fact, several dentists advised you NOT to get immediate dentures. You went around until you finally found a dentist who told you what you wanted to hear. Even then, explain how they FORCED you to agree to the treatment? Did they hold a gun to your head? You had the option to do dentures the traditional way, you just didn't want to. Stop saying that you were forced to do anything.
Haha, either you are a complete fool, or a nut who should have his/her head examined. Are you trying to find an excuse to exculpate the one who advised going with immediate dentures as opposed to permanent, using the fact that I wrote the word "Forced" here in my thread's title? LOL!

"Forced" Yes, by circumstances! I was forced to make a decision one way or the other (immediate or permanent). I did that because I wanted to stop procrastinating on this issue and because I was told that immediate dentures were routine work, usually with very acceptable or good results.

That's the context I used the word "forced". It has nothing to do with your moronic question or assumption, and it doesn't preclude that liar and cheating manager sitting in that dental office of any responsibility, or from facing a judge!!
 
Old 07-09-2015, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Billings, MT
9,798 posts, read 8,531,079 times
Reputation: 13803
" I was told that immediate dentures were routine work, usually with very acceptable or good results."

"USUALLY with very acceptable or good results." That would seem to indicate that there are and will be some who do NOT have "acceptable or good results".
You are apparently one of the exceptions.
I wasn't. My immediate dentures have been doing "acceptably" for several years. As I previously stated, I really should go get a new set, or at least get these relined. I haven't done the reline because I don't want to be eating cream of wheat, oatmeal, and mashed potatoes for 2 or 3 days.
This is my last word on this thread. I am fed up with your attitude and name calling.
IMO, it is immature and ridiculous!
 
Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM
 
611 posts, read 517,874 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesstoo View Post
Haha, either you are a complete fool, or a nut who should have his/her head examined. Are you trying to find an excuse to exculpate the one who advised going with immediate dentures as opposed to permanent, using the fact that I wrote the word "Forced" here in my thread's title? LOL!

"Forced" Yes, by circumstances! I was forced to make a decision one way or the other (immediate or permanent). I did that because I wanted to stop procrastinating on this issue and because I was told that immediate dentures were routine work, usually with very acceptable or good results.

That's the context I used the word "forced". It has nothing to do with your moronic question or assumption, and it doesn't preclude that liar and cheating manager sitting in that dental office of any responsibility, or from facing a judge!!

Haha, whatever you say. Make sure you tell your next dentist exactly what you have said on this thread. I'm sure they'll be lining up to treat you. Hope you have a blender at home.
 
Old 07-09-2015, 04:02 PM
 
27 posts, read 83,276 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

This is my last word on this thread.
Glad to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am fed up with your attitude and name calling.
IMO, it is immature and ridiculous!
Read your comments quoted below. Do you mean more ridiculous than your position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
That would seem to indicate that there are and will be some who do NOT have "acceptable or good results".
That doesn't preclude a dental office from liability!
And, it's just like saying, if you buy something new from a store and it doesn't work, well then you are out of luck!

Stop posting nonsense.
 
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Stuck on the East Coast, hoping to head West
4,236 posts, read 9,840,057 times
Reputation: 8786
I'm closing this thread because it has gone so far off-topic and there are several violations. Reminder to all: NO name calling, No personal attacks. Consider this a warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top