Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:38 PM

47 posts, read 94,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay - I think the removal of our gun protections, and banning most guns, would pretty much be good for crime.

Yet thats not the issue here. . .it really isn't. This is not a drug violence or turf or whatever. This is some guy who wanted to kill lots of people, and acted on that urge. This event is tragic - sure. Yet it happens. People's brains breakdown, and crap can happen. I think the solution is more akin to better healthcare, support, genetic identification of issues, etc.. .some of it future.

Until we get to that point, I think you will always have a possibility of a random crackpot event. One year ago this sunday that guy in Norway went nuts. . .and did a lot of horrific damage. Its like a lighting strike, or a shark attack. . .precautions sure, but the randomness of the event will get someone someday. . .and there isn't a lot you can do about it. The good news is, it is unlikely to happen. . .

I find it funny that people worry about crap like the above . . .when they are far more likely to crack open their skull by not wearing a helmet, or walking home drunk. People just can't prioritize risk.

So no, don't change legislation based on this. Have a real reason. If there wasn't a gun, a crackpot could of always done something creative. . .I mean a few bottles of gasoline on fire at the various exits would of been just/more effective than a gun.
I agree. The second amendment is at best the tip of the issue-iceberg this tragedy and others like it unpack. Unfortunately, as with every other instance, absolutely nothing will be done except for some inane political bickering and finger-pointing that'll go on for about a week.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxsnap View Post
My thoughts go out to the families who are affected by this senseless tragedy.
Don't forget about the family of the suspect. It seems they are very well liked by all in their neighborhood; this is apparent as neighbors have been bringing food, cards, flowers, etc by their home all day.

This is a tragedy for them, too.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,965 times
With 71 victims it is now the largest mass shooting in US history. This guy meant business!

Colorado Movie Theater Shooting: 71 Victims The Largest Mass Shooting - Yahoo!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default You're kidding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
enemy country & calipoppy are busily searching the various news outlets to see if a black person was one of the victims, so they can start a thread declaring that it was racially motivated....and therefore a hate crime.

Things always revolve around race in our country even when it shouldn't. I wouldn't just point out Enemy Country or Calipoppy as culprits, either. Just think how the comments from many posters would read had the shooter not been White but Black, Asian, or Spanish-speaking instead? There would be countless comments about Black people being natural violent, criminally minded N-word, negative talk about Asians and how they can't be trusted, or we all know the talk would be nonstop about illegal immigrants from Mexico regardless of what nationality or country the Spanish-speaking shooter was from. As horrible as this tragedy is and how angry it makes me that this evil monster would do this to people, if the shooter had been from a Middle Eastern Islamic country, I seriously think all hell would be about to break loose all over the nation right now.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 14,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
This could have happened anywhere....Colorado is a beautiful state and makes me even more homesick
Yes, I do realize that that unfortunate event could have happened anywhere. I'm just feeling uneasy about that and the previous tragic events that happened in Colorado. It is indeed a beautiful state; I'm still thinking about moving there.

Also, I apologize if my comment came off as ignorant in my previous comment, I didn't mean to make it sound that way.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
wow, the comments on yahoo articles are equally disturbing. People use this tragedy as an opportunity for their political (anti-obama) soapbox. Sick. Take this comment for example-

"If Obama had a son, he would look like this guy".

It goes both ways. There is a he**uva lot of folks on the internet blaming Rush Limbaugh for this shooting.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,132,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It goes both ways. There is a he**uva lot of folks on the internet blaming Rush Limbaugh for this shooting.
I'm no fan of rush but this guy had been planning this thing for months.

On another note though there has to be away to prevent these people with mental disorders from purchasing firearms.

It's just ridiculous how well armed this man was.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post

On another note though there has to be away to prevent these people with mental disorders from purchasing firearms.

so far they aren't coming up with evidence of mental illness that could have kept him from buying those guns (like medical records that could be used at the time of purchase) but who knows what may come out

Old 07-20-2012, 07:00 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post

There's little to nothing that can be done to prevent criminals and insane from getting weapons. However, if average citizens exercised their right to bear arms, some one with a conceal carry and a 9 mm might have shot this lunatic and saved some lives.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
There's little to nothing that can be done to prevent criminals and insane from getting weapons. However, if average citizens exercised their right to bear arms, some one with a conceal carry and a 9 mm might have shot this lunatic and saved some lives.
In other instances, I would have agreed, but not in this case.

There were lachrymatory agents taking up not only oxygen, but visibility. There were people running everywhere. Hiding everywhere. Not to mention...he was well armed. Your 40 cal would have little effect even in the slight chance you were able to get a shot to the vest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver