Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times

Advertisements

Let me tell you 3 examples of how unpretentious Denver and Colorado really is

Now maybe I am different due to never living outside of Colorado, but the fact is I grew up right outside of Denver, and as a mortgage banker my job is 80% marketing which brings me across people of all types. I see and hear way to much, and as part of my job I understand what really drives the Colorado economy.

1st example
I was at a leads group meeting, talking to a couple of people one of which was an investment adviser. As part of the conversation i brought up whether he would be interested in working with young new investors who were mostly in their 20s, had high incomes, and happened to work in the oilfield. Without a single question on exactly what I was talking about he made the statement immediately that he does not work with people who were dumb, he has standards and one of those was an IQ over 60. Funny thing is one of the people I was discussing happens to be 2 of my cousins,l both of whom have masters degrees, and both of whom went to work in the oil field making well over $100,000 a year, which pays much better then either could find in the fields they got their degrees in.

2nd example was at a lunch set up by a friend of mine to meet a new Insurance agent that was looking for a mortgage guy, over lunch we discussed many things and then at the end of the meeting I asked him if he happens to work with farmers as I know several that may need to look at their insurance. The next comment out of his mouth was of course he would work with Farmers, "even white trash have to have insurance". Now as I said I was born and raised in Colorado, and grew up in farm land, and many of them may enjoy life more then the average person, but most of the white trash I have met call themselves professionals.

the 3rd example I saw this week happened when talking to a Realtor, over a discussion on where most of her and I's clients come from, she mentioned that she does not work with people in Thornton, Brighton, Northglenn, and Commerce City, as she only works with educated people.

Now I understand that 3 stories does not make the whole city, but reality is there are plenty of pretentious people around Denver, these just happened in the last week, and having grown up here I know for a fact both Farmers and Oil men are what built this state, now many feel they are too good to even discuss doing business with them? Maybe if you think thre are no pretentious people around here you either do not get out enough, or you are one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 PM

122 posts, read 209,178 times
Having lived in the Denver area since Aug. '11 (from North Metro Atlanta,) I would say that the Denver area in general is less pretentious than Atlanta, particularly areas such as Midtown and Buckhead.

That being said, people from every city/area that has been denounced as pretentious in this topic (i.e., SoCal, ATL, Miami, etc.) are moving here in droves - a rather unfortunate side effect of rising real estate prices, as it lures in the speculators and others of the mindset who believe that the true measure of anything and anyone is their net worth in dollars. Enjoy the friendly, non-judgmental people here now, while they're still in the majority.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:14 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
Denver less pretentious? I think NOT.

Denver is the only city ever to reject an Olympic Games (1976) AFTER they had won it based on "environmental concerns" and because the locals did not want to be "inconvenienced" by all the evil outsiders (a.k.a. non-Coloradoans) coming in and bringing hundreds of millions of dollars with them, thus spending it locally. The increased traffic and restaurant waiting lines would have been just too much to handle.

You don't get more pretentious than that.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post

Denver is the only city ever to reject an Olympic Games (1976) AFTER they had won it based on "environmental concerns" and because the locals did not want to be "inconvenienced" by all the evil outsiders (a.k.a. non-Coloradoans) coming in and bringing hundreds of millions of dollars with them, thus spending it locally. The increased traffic and restaurant waiting lines would have been just too much to handle.

5 Things They Don't Want You to Know About the Olympics (warning: foul language)

Granted, Cracked is a humor site, but the sources they cite throughout the article are legit (The Economist, BBC, etc.) Sounds like Denver made a good decision to me. Basically the only positive things Atlanta got out of hosting the Olympics in 1996 was a new stadium for the Braves and Centennial Park (the latter being located in a very high crime area.)

I'll concede that you have a point about the curmudgeons who don't want anyone moving here, and a fair number of them probably didn't even grow up in this state! However, I've noticed that the CO natives of this mindset don't really broadcast their opinions much further beyond this message board, local town hall meetings, and "CO NATIVE" license plates - why would they ever associate themselves with out-of-state scum like me?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
Lol.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
Quote:

Classic "Pass the bucket, and I'm perfect" attitude. WOW!

Get over yourself, Please!

Last edited by JMM64; 03-17-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
5 Things They Don't Want You to Know About the Olympics (warning: foul language)

Granted, Cracked is a humor site, but the sources they cite throughout the article are legit (The Economist, BBC, etc.) Sounds like Denver made a good decision to me. Basically the only positive things Atlanta got out of hosting the Olympics in 1996 was a new stadium for the Braves and Centennial Park (the latter being located in a very high crime area.)

I'll concede that you have a point about the curmudgeons who don't want anyone moving here, and a fair number of them probably didn't even grow up in this state! However, I've noticed that the CO natives of this mindset don't really broadcast their opinions much further beyond this message board, local town hall meetings, and "CO NATIVE" license plates - why would they ever associate themselves with out-of-state scum like me?
You're right, no one ever does anything wrong unless they're from Colorado. I forgot that none of the transplants ever play a part in this mindset, and it's all Colorado's fault. Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default One of the smartest moves made

Quote:
Denver is the only city ever to reject an Olympic Games (1976)
Smart. Not pretentious. The Olympics are always a financial disaster for the host.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
You're right, no one ever does anything wrong unless they're from Colorado. I forgot that none of the transplants ever play a part in this mindset, and it's all Colorado's fault. Good Luck!

Did you miss the earlier post I made on this page that contradicts everything you just said? I didn't even single out people who grew up here in the post to which you responded.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post

Did you miss the earlier post I made on this page that contradicts everything you just said? I didn't even single out people who grew up here in the post to which you responded.
I did not see it, I was just reading your last post. I apologize

Sorry, I'm just sick of hearing people say these things about Colorado. I hear it everyday from people, and I always bite my tongue about it in the real world. It's a two way situation and no transplants seem to want to admit they are wrong, yet if someone brings this up such as me, I'm always the "bad" guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver