Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM

371 posts, read 494,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Denver less pretentious? I think NOT.

Denver is the only city ever to reject an Olympic Games (1976) AFTER they had won it based on "environmental concerns" and because the locals did not want to be "inconvenienced" by all the evil outsiders (a.k.a. non-Coloradoans) coming in and bringing hundreds of millions of dollars with them, thus spending it locally. The increased traffic and restaurant waiting lines would have been just too much to handle.

You don't get more pretentious than that.
You say this as though Denver in 1976 has so much in common with the Denver of today.

I mean, in 1976 people wore white leather pants and feathered their hair and listened to Rush and watched M*A*S*H. Talk about pretentious!

And I also do not want the Olympics to EVER come here, BECAUSE of the exact reasons you laid out. Why do we need increased traffic and crime and massive cost outlays and (likely) abuse of eminent domain so we can erect tons of huge buildings that nobody will ever use again, all so we can have a what basically ends up being nothing but something for people to brag about at parties (DENVER IS COOL, WE HOSTED THE 2022 WINTER OLYMPICS EVERYBODY!)? That's the definition of pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
You say this as though Denver in 1976 has so much in common with the Denver of today.

I mean, in 1976 people wore white leather pants and feathered their hair and listened to Rush and watched M*A*S*H. Talk about pretentious!

And I also do not want the Olympics to EVER come here, BECAUSE of the exact reasons you laid out. Why do we need increased traffic and crime and massive cost outlays and (likely) abuse of eminent domain so we can erect tons of huge buildings that nobody will ever use again, all so we can have a what basically ends up being nothing but something for people to brag about at parties (DENVER IS COOL, WE HOSTED THE 2022 WINTER OLYMPICS EVERYBODY!)? That's the definition of pretentious.
People still listen to Rush today. Not much has changed.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 AM

356 posts, read 624,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Sorry, I'm just sick of hearing people say these things about Colorado. I hear it everyday from people, and I always bite my tongue about it in the real world. It's a two way situation and no transplants seem to want to admit they are wrong, yet if someone brings this up such as me, I'm always the "bad" guy.
Frankly, I'm with you JMM64. I'm a native and I hear this spoken ad nauseum! Coloradans can't/aren't/don't ________(fill in the blank *drive, courteous, respectful, have good pizza*). And I hear this from the transplants.

It gets old and yes; when you do speak up to defend locals, our State or show our pride with local stickers we get labeled xenophobic. Yes- the hypocrisy on this topic runs deep.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 PM

20 posts, read 26,977 times
This thread has had me laughing, and I'm not sure of the relevancy of it still, but I can say that what has really turned me off about this place is the people. I can give many benefits of the doubt here, but the best way to sum up the attitude of this place is by looking at the drivers. No one is more themself than when they're in the secluded privacy of their car. The drivers here are the most inconsiderate aggressive people, but refuse to make eye contact with you when they're tailgating you or as they go flying past you in a left turn lane. This translates into their personalities as well. Putting all of the blame on transplants doesn't remedy the situation, it only shows that you are unwilling to accept the criticisms or address them in any hopes of making these claims go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver