Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times

Advertisements

Is Denver less pretentious than other comparable cities such as

Dallas
Miami
Houston

It appears Dallas, Miami, and Houston has more employment opportunities in the Accounting,Financial,and Banking sector, what good is that, if people there are more pretentious and conspicous consumption is more prevalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I can't comment on those 3 cities, but Denver is far less pretentious than LA/OC, the SF BayArea and most other area's I have lived in.

It's just not a big deal here to act like you have more money or stuff, than you really do. People aren't that impressed by it here IMO.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Black BMWs not really that popular here, if you know what I'm sayin.

That said, Subarus and North Face are pretty ubiquitous. Then again, people actually seem to use those rather than just have them to show off...

Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I would say Johnson County, KS is more pretentious than many parts of the Denver metro with the possible exception of portions of Douglas County.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I've never lived in any of those areas, but I don't find this to be a very flashy place at all, and I like that. This is not a very fashion oriented place, not a lot of flashy sports cars, etc. A lot of the things people like to do here don't necessarily require much money--hiking, biking etc. Skiing/snowboarding would be the exception to that. I work in accounting and I'm getting calls all the time about job opportunities...but not in finance/banking (although I don't mind, not too interested in working in that industry).

Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
what's wrong with black bmw's (i have one)?

::dunno::

Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Is Denver less pretentious than other comparable cities such as

Dallas
Miami
Houston

It appears Dallas, Miami, and Houston has more employment opportunities in the Accounting,Financial,and Banking sector, what good is that, if people there are more pretentious and conspicous consumption is more prevalent?
Yes there are plenty of pretentious people in Denver and throughout the front range, however it is a different pretension. Instead of BMWs and top of the line clothing, it is what sports you are participating in, how much hiking/skiing/biking you are involved in, your zip code, what school your kids go to, and what kind of car you drive that many try to define others by. I don't know if it is as bad as Dallas, Miami, or Houston as I have only visited those areas but quit honestly I have never run into it near as much as other say it exists in those areas.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
One of the things I like most about Denver and Boulder is even in the most expensive restaurants you will see people in shorts, sandals, and/or fleece depending on season (you will see shorts, even in winter LOL). People strike me as very casual here which I personally like. I've only met a handful of people in Colorado in the 14 years I've lived here I would consider pretentious, one couple from the DC area, and one from Scottsdale, AZ. Both those are moving back to where they came from.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
Shoot. I'm contemplating a relo to Denver, but I drive a black BMW, used to live in DC (Northern VA suburbs) and now reside just outside of Snottsdale. I sure hope I'm not pretentious.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
If you have even a shred of concern you might be pretentious, you aren't LOL.

I lived in Scottsdale for quite a long time and it had its charms no question. Overall my impression was people there were in general more shallow and more concerned with how they looked and how much money they had than I've ever encountered in Colorado. However, this is probably an unfair generalization as people of that bent can come from anywhere really. I have quite a few awesome and very non pretentious friends from the DC area, one of whom drives a black BMW.

I wonder if there is any way to quantify the "pretentious quotient" of an area that would in anyway be reliable? Boob jobs per capita?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver