Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Unless you are planning on going back, I would pack what winter garments you have. If you don't have any, you will find them in every clothing store in the metro. Yes, you need a winter coat. I wore one to the Broncos game Sunday night. I usually wear one to work in the winter. Yes, you need gloves. Maybe not a scarf. I have a few from my days in Illinois, but hardly ever use them here. You need a hat if you are going to be outside for any length of time. We do get some "real" winter weather here. It's only October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:35 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mostly summer, but year round we urge you to bring sunglasses, sunscreen, water, lip balm, hats for sunshade. Lots of water, especially first few days, else you may feel some effects or dizziness. But 99% of people do just fine.

Sun is VERY warming at this elevation. Even at 45 degrees, sun is warm, short sleeves are fine for most folks. After sundown, or if windy, long sleeves or light jacket.
Thank you for the water & lip balm suggestion, I wouldn't have thought about that. I've never lived in a high elevation area before. I hear it takes 2-3 weeks to adjust. Hopefully I won't be drowsy all of that time, as some report feeling. I want to be able to explore everything right away!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Unless you are planning on going back, I would pack what winter garments you have. If you don't have any, you will find them in every clothing store in the metro. Yes, you need a winter coat. I wore one to the Broncos game Sunday night. I usually wear one to work in the winter. Yes, you need gloves. Maybe not a scarf. I have a few from my days in Illinois, but hardly ever use them here. You need a hat if you are going to be outside for any length of time. We do get some "real" winter weather here. It's only October.
Okay, so this weekend I'm going to buy socks AND a heavier winter coat. I have a feeling that, used to FL's 85 degree Oct. wather, that I may a feel a wee bit chillier than The Natives.

I'd bring all of the winter garments I have, but my only "winter" items consist of a few cardigan sweaters and jeans. But who can complain about shopping?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
Okay, so this weekend I'm going to buy socks AND a heavier winter coat. I have a feeling that, used to FL's 85 degree Oct. wather, that I may a feel a wee bit chillier than The Natives.

I'd bring all of the winter garments I have, but my only "winter" items consist of a few cardigan sweaters and jeans. But who can complain about shopping?
Exactly! Try Park Meadows and FlatIron Crossing Malls, for starts.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 PM

I've already written down directions on how to get to FlatIron - it looks absolutely beautiful! I've never seen a mall like it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:26 PM

287 posts, read 503,639 times
The most important thing to remember about Denver is the plentiful sunshine, and the
elevation. Most days in the winter are sunny and pleasant. You can usually get away with just wearing a long sleeve shirt or sweater. But once night falls in the winter, it
gets colder than hell, which is a factor of our elevation. When it
does storm in the winter, it can be quite beautiful; the way the storms form over the
mountains and sweep over the plains. Winters come and go with hardly a notice.
I grew up in the midwest, Northern Illinois, where winters were brutal and long.
Cabin fever was a real affliction. Before you know it in Colorado winter has already passed, and you feel
like you have been cheated out of long, deep winter. At least that is how I have felt the past
five winters I have lived here.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 AM

346 posts, read 1,566,875 times
[quote=patrickmich;1842587] But once night falls in the winter, it
gets colder than hell, which is a factor of our elevation.

It wouldn't take much to be colder than hell. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM

355 posts, read 1,404,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
Whereabouts? I'm in the Jacksonville area and we've had abnormally high temps for this time of year, and horrible humidity. The Red Tide has finally gone away, however, and that's something to be thankful for.

What route are you taking to get to Denver? I-40 seems the best way. I'm leaving on Friday afternoon, everyone tells me that getting past Tenneessee by the end of the weekend is imperative. Memphis & Nashville are the toughest spots in terms of traffic congestion and getting potentially "off course", according to a former Denverite who's made the trip before.

Have you made this trip before? I haven't, my longest road trip had been, to date, 45 minutes long!
Down in palm beach county....yeah humidity sucks here ...im heading up there next sunday..... not set of the route im taking yet i haven't done it yet .....i haven't seen many of the southeren states so im thinking of making my own route onto 10 then just venture into through texas,then up through either new mexico or oklahoma .....it will definitly be longer trip then going on I-40 but im not in a huge rush or anything
haha at 45 mins being your longest ride....you are in for a long one......i drove from FL to MA 24hrs was my longest trip ....it sucked but i rushed here thats why i'm going to take my time on this one

Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times
Averie,

I live in Georgia now, but I'm a native Wisconsinite as well. The weather in Denver is very underrated and is the city's best kept secret. It does get cold here, but it doesn't stay like it does in WI, nor does it get as gloomy and obscenely cold. The days of brilliant sunshine at a high altitude with no humidity makes going outside very comfortable. The weather here makes you want to be active all of the time.

I just had a job interview in Denver yesterday. Everybody please keep their fingers crossed and say a little prayer for me! At first, I thought my gf was out of her damn mind for wanting me to give up for mild Atlanta for Denver. After visiting Denver several times over the past year, I can't wait to get out west.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Before you know it in Colorado winter has already passed, and you feel like you have been cheated out of long, deep winter.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver