Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times

Advertisements

To me, Denver is better than SLC.

MSA Population:
Denver: 2.6 million
SLC: 1.1 million

CSA Population:
Denver: 3.1 million
SLC: 2.3 million

Pro Sports:
Denver-6
SLC-2

Better Downtown:
Denver (clearly) > SLC

Schools/Universities:
-Denver wins this as far as I know.

Shopping:
-Does SLC even have an upscale mall like Cherry Creek?

Diversity:
-Denver by a lot

Transportation:
I don't see how SLC has a better lightrail system than Denver. Denver's goes to more important destinations in the city. SLC is Coming along faster than Denver, but it is not ahead at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
SLC's TRAX is 35 miles total, and it's another two years before any extension is completed! I know!
You don't know anything. Please get your facts straight. TRAX has three lines opening this year, not two years. The Airport line opens on April 14, the Draper line opens on August 7, and Sugar House Streetcar will be open in December. I believe that will give them more miles of light rail then what RTD has. Even if they do come up a few miles short, so what? They have less then half the population and almost same amount of light rail.

http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/Airpo...eet1042012.pdf

Quote:
Denver's RTD light Rail is 39 miles total soon to be 51 in only 4 months! Iin 5 years it will be ALOT MORE!!! Currently RTD's longest line is 22 miles, So how is SLC just now getting a similar line put it ahead of Denver? And how does SLC's Light rail cover more miles than Denver! Do some RESEARCH!!!!!

Again, how is SLC's light rail more extensive????
Again you are the one why has to do some research. See what I wrote above, then add to that 89 miles of currently operating FrontRunner commuter rail. Which is way longer then RTDs Airport and Gold lines combined.

Quote:
Besides you are referring to future additions how does this apply to current light rail? If we're playing the future and past game here, Denver had light rail 5 years before SLC did, so Denver would be ahead here.
Funny you use the rolling eyes symbol after mentioning the boutique hotel, you're admitting your jealousy!

Unless someone is constantly telling you SLC people that you're perfect, you get offended. Yet you bash others non stop! Classy!.
I am not a SLC person, and I'm not jealous of RTDs boutique hotel. I couldn't even afford to stay at a place like that, if I wanted to, which I don't.

By your own logic RTD started 5 years before SLC, so they should be ahead. But instead SLC with less then half the population is way ahead of RTD in total miles of rail. If you can't see what a FAIL that is for RTD, then I feel sorry for you.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You don't know anything. Please get your facts straight. TRAX has three lines opening this year, not two years. The Airport line opens on April 14, the Draper line opens on August 7, and Sugar House Streetcar will be open in December. I believe that will give them more miles of light rail then what RTD has. Even if they do come up a few miles short, so what? They have less then half the population and almost same amount of light rail.

http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/Airpo...eet1042012.pdf

Again you are the one why has to do some research. See what I wrote above, then add to that 89 miles of currently operating FrontRunner commuter rail. Which is way longer then RTDs Airport and Gold lines combined.

I am not a SLC person, and I'm not jealous of RTDs boutique hotel. I couldn't even afford to stay at a place like that, if I wanted to, which I don't.

By your own logic RTD started 5 years before SLC, so they should be ahead. But instead SLC with less then half the population is way ahead of RTD in total miles of rail. If you can't see what a FAIL that is for RTD, then I feel sorry for you.
Lightrail is probably the only thing SLC has that can be compared to Denver on the same level as far as transportation goes. Well other than skiing and scenery.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I just looked it up and Denver actually has the more extensive lightrail. And Denver has a higher ridership to.

Denver: 39.4 mi (63.4 km)

SLC: 35.3 mi (56.8 km)[
SLC also has 89 miles of commuter rail currently operating. Which brings UTA's total to 124 miles. Which makes it a much more extensive system. Plus three light rail extensions opening this year. Pretty much the entire Wasatch Front will be served by light rail and commuter rail by the end of the year. RTD can't even build one 41 mile line to Boulder County.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
SLC also has 89 miles of commuter rail currently operating. Which brings UTA's total to 124 miles. Which makes it a much more extensive system. Plus three light rail extensions opening this year. Pretty much the entire Wasatch Front will be served by light rail and commuter rail by the end of the year. RTD can't even build one 41 mile line to Boulder County.
What does that matter when Denver currently has more ridership? Denver is also Aiming to have 119 miles of track in the near future, so I don't see how SLC is that far ahead

Denver's potential lightrail line...

SLC might be ahead by a small portion by the end of 2013, but if these plans fall together for Denver, it will probably have a better system (imo).

Last edited by Mezter; 01-17-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Who gives a crap about light rail? Since when is light-rail a criteria for 'coolness' of your city?

L.A. has ****ty mass transit but the city is awesome. Same for New Orleans.

I bet Beijing has a pretty extensive light rail system. Does that make it cool?

Cities like Paris or Tokyo wouldn't suddenly become 'uncool' if they took out the light rail.

WTF?

Denver is cool. SLC is cool. We both have access to recreation that most other American cities dream of.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
What does that matter when Denver currently has more ridership? Denver is also Aiming to have 119 miles of track in the near future, so I don't see how SLC is that far ahead

Denver's potential lightrail line...

SLC might be ahead by a small portion by the end of 2013, but if these plans fall together for Denver, it will probably have a better system (imo).
RTD is aiming to have that many miles of track by 2042, with current funding. UTA has already got more then that up and running at this time. No matter how you look at it SLC will be ahead of Denver for then next 30 years.

Unless Colorado voters aprove even more tax money for RTD. Which in my opinion would be crazy considering RTDs track record at this time. You are already paying 1% sales tax and some of the highest fares in the country.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Someone from 94040 has an unhealthy obsession with Denver

At Kaboom,
Please spend more time at //www.city-data.com/forum/san-jose/ and less here.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
RTD is aiming to have that many miles of track by 2042, with current funding. UTA has already got more then that up and running at this time. No matter how you look at it SLC will be ahead of Denver for then next 30 years.

Unless Colorado voters aprove even more tax money for RTD. Which in my opinion would be crazy considering RTDs track record at this time. You are already paying 1% sales tax and some of the highest fares in the country.
Atleast do some research. It may not be done exactly on time, but they have actually started working on a few of those lines. 2042 my a**.

Now that's out the way, please, tell me what other public transit SLC "is ahead" in. I'm dieing to know...

Last edited by Mezter; 01-17-2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Atleast do some research. It may not be done exactly on time, but they have actually started working on a few of those lines. 2042 my a**.

Now that's out the way, please, tell me what other public transit SLC "is ahead" in...
Sorry my mistake. I forgot, they pushed it back another two years. I should have said 2044. But it's your right to live your life in denial, if you choose.

KUSA - RTD's Fastracks project won't be complete until 2044
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver