Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:40 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses do not solicit donations from outsiders.
Nor do they 'pass a plate' at their meetings.
(A box on the wall is for anonymous, voluntary, donations.)

They mostly support themselves and their own ministries. None are payed for their teaching efforts. Fellow JWs voluntarily support the needs of some who volunteer to work 'full time' in the ministry . . . they get no fringes for doing so . . . simple food, clothing, shelter, transportation expenses. They are so busy teaching others that there is no time for a job of any kind, so those who can afford to donate towards their sincere efforts. Not just anyone qualifies for this. Again, this is not required---It is voluntary.
Just because they're not hawking ginsu knives, encyclopedias, girl scout cookies, or popcorn doesn't mean they're not soliciting. They're "selling" their brand of salvation in an attempt to grow the church - which coincidentally needs money from its membership to survive.

The JWs are the only congregation that canvasses our neighborhood multiple times per year. In fact, they're the only ones who've gone door-to-door this year, period, and we're up to THREE TIMES so far so forgive me for getting more than a little ticked off by it.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 09-09-2014 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Both 'Bluescreen73', and, 'Denverian' call the place a 'compound . . . however, the definition of a compound is: "an enclosed area where a particular group of people live".

What it actually is, is an *Assembly Hall* of Jehovah's Witnesses . . . where *groups of congregations* in the area --or from nearby areas-- meet together two weekends per year . . . to receive Bible instruction and encourage one another. (Several of the elders from the various congregations give talks, and, both sisters & brothers share encouraging experiences from their ministries.) Usually no more than 2 to 4 JWs actually live at such structures. However, sometimes they do join together to go out in the ministry together, as a part of the activities.

'Christinerica' said:
"The 'spreading of the Word' has been done to death..."

The truths of Bible teachings have not been spread by the churches,
and, Jehovah's Witnesses are presently finding sincere interest all over the world.

In 2013 alone, in 239 countries, Jehovah's Witnesses were conducting over 9.25 million free & personal Bible studies with newly interested persons. At the annual Memorial of Christ’s death, the total attendence was over 19 million, including just under 8 million who were baptized Witnesses. In other words, there were more Bible studies than there were dedicated, baptized, Jehovah's Witnesses!

'Denverian' said:
"I wouldn't imagine they'd make very fun neighbors. The only JWs I ever know made a big deal about not celebrating anything. I'm guessing a backyard barbeque with beer would be out for them."

Jehovah's Witnesses don't have anything against having gatherings just to enjoy each other's company. They celebrate anniversaries, and births, and just get together for the sake of encouraging each other via social interaction. It is celebrations that are tied to pagan origins, and/or unscriptural practices, which they reject. . . . Also, they hold that the moderate use of alcohol is not prohibited in the Bible . . . immoderate use of it is.

'zenkonami' said: "I do think they are soliciting under the legal definition."
I won't repeat what 'lurtsman' said, however, in response to both I respond by saying . . .

They mostly support themselves and their own ministries. None are payed for their teaching efforts. Fellow JWs voluntarily support the needs of some who volunteer to work 'full time' in the ministry . . . they get no fringes for doing so . . . simple food, clothing, shelter, transportation expenses. They are so busy teaching others that there is no time for a job of any kind, so those who can afford to donate towards their sincere efforts. Not just anyone qualifies for this. Again, this is not required---It is voluntary.

The goal of Jehovah's Witnesses it to educate, and to help those who want to join them in learning about & following the requirements of our Creator. No one's 'arm is twisted' to study or attend meetings. Invitations are given . . . not orders or threats.

If & when a person who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses decides to make a donation, that is their decision. None of Jehovah's Witnesses try to influence anyone to do so. It is gratefully accepted *unless* it is known that it was obtained by the person through unscriptural means, or, they themselves need to use it for those they are responsible for.

They expose the church practice of tithing as unscriptural, rather than practicing it.
They have no clergy class, and not one is paid for giving talks or for counseling.

This article shows how their worldwide work is actually financed:
"How is the Work of Jehovah's Witnesses Financed?"

For those who are interested, I found some information about the building of the Aurora Assembly Hall that is quite interesting . . . it is the 1st comment that I am referring to, found here:
Assembly Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Aurora, Co - Jehovah's Witnesses News

I'm pretty sure that David Koresh taught the same things.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Both 'Bluescreen73', and, 'Denverian' call the place a 'compound . . . however, the definition of a compound is: "an enclosed area where a particular group of people live".

What it actually is, is an *Assembly Hall* of Jehovah's Witnesses . . . where *groups of congregations* in the area --or from nearby areas-- meet together two weekends per year . . . to receive Bible instruction and encourage one another. (Several of the elders from the various congregations give talks, and, both sisters & brothers share encouraging experiences from their ministries.) Usually no more than 2 to 4 JWs actually live at such structures. However, sometimes they do join together to go out in the ministry together, as a part of the activities.

'Christinerica' said:
"The 'spreading of the Word' has been done to death..."

The truths of Bible teachings have not been spread by the churches,
and, Jehovah's Witnesses are presently finding sincere interest all over the world.

In 2013 alone, in 239 countries, Jehovah's Witnesses were conducting over 9.25 million free & personal Bible studies with newly interested persons. At the annual Memorial of Christ’s death, the total attendence was over 19 million, including just under 8 million who were baptized Witnesses. In other words, there were more Bible studies than there were dedicated, baptized, Jehovah's Witnesses!

'Denverian' said:
"I wouldn't imagine they'd make very fun neighbors. The only JWs I ever know made a big deal about not celebrating anything. I'm guessing a backyard barbeque with beer would be out for them."

Jehovah's Witnesses don't have anything against having gatherings just to enjoy each other's company. They celebrate anniversaries, and births, and just get together for the sake of encouraging each other via social interaction. It is celebrations that are tied to pagan origins, and/or unscriptural practices, which they reject. . . . Also, they hold that the moderate use of alcohol is not prohibited in the Bible . . . immoderate use of it is.

'zenkonami' said: "I do think they are soliciting under the legal definition."
I won't repeat what 'lurtsman' said, however, in response to both I respond by saying . . .

The goal of Jehovah's Witnesses it to educate, and to help those who want to join them in learning about & following the requirements of our Creator. No one's 'arm is twisted' to study or attend meetings. Invitations are given . . . not orders or threats.

If & when a person who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses decides to make a donation, that is their decision. None of Jehovah's Witnesses try to influence anyone to do so. It is gratefully accepted *unless* it is known that it was obtained by the person through unscriptural means, or, they themselves need to use it for those they are responsible for.

They expose the church practice of tithing as unscriptural, rather than practicing it.
They have no clergy class, and not one is paid for giving talks or for counseling.

This article shows how their worldwide work is actually financed:
"How is the Work of Jehovah's Witnesses Financed?"

For those who are interested, I found some information about the building of the Aurora Assembly Hall that is quite interesting . . . it is the 1st comment that I am referring to, found here:
Assembly Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Aurora, Co - Jehovah's Witnesses News
Whatever. It's a nutty cult IMO.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
These people won't think that they are solicitors. I have pointed out my "no soliciting" sign to church goers who knocked on my door and they absolutely did not think that what they were doing was soliciting. You need a new sign. One that is much more specific. It has worked for me.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Our neighborhood is less than a mile from the Jehovah's Witness compound that opened up in Aurora a couple years ago. They're good neighbors for the most part but they hit our neighborhood repeatedly multiple times per year and I'm about ready to go off on them.
The recently completed Jehovah's Witnesss facility in Aurora is an Assembly Hall and does not serve as a preaching or publishing hub. In other words, it is a teaching and worship facility only and its presence in your neighborhood does not increase the ministry activity in that area. That territory is still assigned to a Local Congregation, same as before. If you're seeing more activity lately, it's due to a worldwide increase in activity due to special tract and invitation campaigns (the most recent of which was to advertise our new website JW.ORG).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
We put up a no soliciting sign explicitly for them and they ignore it. Next time they come by I'm gonna tell them I'm a practicing Satanist. Something to think about if you plan on buying a house out here.
As you can see from the previous responses, different words can be correctly defined in different ways at different times. I can see why many view what JW's are doing as soliciting. However, 'Soliciting' is often associated with selling some item or otherwise petitioning for money, which Jehovah's Witnesses are not intending to do at your door. A 'No Trespassing' sign is a lot less ambiguous, because it effectively says 'Do not come onto my property uninvited for any reason'. That may or may not be what you really want to say to all your potential visitors, but it's your choice of course. In any case, I never recommend lying (assuming you're not actually a satanist) as way to keep your privacy. Besides, JW's don't view people who worship a particular god (including Satan) as unworthy of the good news, so that would not deter us from trying to talk to you anyways. (1 Tim. 2:3, 4)

If you really find our visits bothersome, that's understandable. Just be honest and direct about your feelings the next time someone comes to visit. You don't need to 'go off on them' or otherwise do something that will just make you more upset, but it's your right to tell them not to come back. If you've already done that, please try to be patient with us and keep in mind that there are currently over 8 million of us worldwide. It's sometimes hard for all of the witnesses in one area to know exactly how everyone feels at every household, business, bus stop, etc… and we're also imperfect and make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If someone rings the bell and it's no one I know or am expecting (this would include delivery people), I simply don't answer it - same as the phone with unknown numbers. There is no law require us to answer either of these. If it's important they will leave a message or a note.
This is a very good approach, and it's what I do when I don't want to be bothered by people offering things that I'm not interested in. (yes, we JW's are regular people who live in houses/apts/etc and are also often solicited in ways that we have not invited)

Last edited by otterprods; 09-09-2014 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: spelling & grammar

Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 4,147 times
That sign does not apply. We do not sell anything. Our publications are given away for free. No minister is EVER paid. One can give a voluntary contribution for the literature, BUT there is NEVER any obligation to do that.

Not even home Bible studies gave a cost. Bible's. study aids, our time---none of that has any charge to you.

Even at every Kingdom Hall or convention, not one collection plate, bag, bucket nor basket US ever passed around. There are a couple of contribution boxes mounted to the wall. Usually in the back. No one knows it c as n see what amount or even IF one puts any money in them.

But every month, all expenses are met. So we never need to beg for anything.

No Soliciting signs apply to the clergies, continually begging for money for EVERYTHING.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
That is *not* what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing, so, they are *not* ignoring your sign.

It simply does not apply to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlow View Post
That sign does not apply. We do not sell anything.
I doesn't matter if you're selling anything. It's still soliciting. To solicit means to make petition to or to approach with a request.

If you come to my door and ask me to buy a vacuum, or to vote for Mark Udall, or to become a disciple of your teachings, or to accept Jesus Christ into my heart as lord and savior, then you ARE SOLICITING.

Keep your God damn religion to yourself - especially on my property. One would think common courtesy and decency would prevent people from harassing others at their homes with this nonsense, but certainly an explicit sign should. If you see a No Soliciting sign, turn around and leave.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
The thing I find most annoying is that when I tell them "no thanks, I'm happy with my church", they don't care. In their minds, I belong to "the wrong church". I'm happy with my church, where I can celebrate holidays, drink beer, and be gay without condemnation to hell. I'd sooner abandon all organized religion than convert to JW.

They're nice people, but I don't enjoy the confrontation and feeling that people are judging me on my own front porch. My church doesn't go door-to-door trying to convince people that we're the only right religion. I don't care what JWs do in their buildings. It has no effect on me. I just don't get the need to keep canvassing the same neighborhoods over and over, wasting people's time.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The thing I find most annoying is that when I tell them "no thanks, I'm happy with my church", they don't care. In their minds, I belong to "the wrong church". I'm happy with my church, where I can celebrate holidays, drink beer, and be gay without condemnation to hell. I'd sooner abandon all organized religion than convert to JW.

They're nice people, but I don't enjoy the confrontation and feeling that people are judging me on my own front porch. My church doesn't go door-to-door trying to convince people that we're the only right religion. I don't care what JWs do in their buildings. It has no effect on me. I just don't get the need to keep canvassing the same neighborhoods over and over, wasting people's time.
Can I get an amen?!?!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlow View Post
That sign does not apply. We do not sell anything. Our publications are given away for free. No minister is EVER paid. One can give a voluntary contribution for the literature, BUT there is NEVER any obligation to do that.

Not even home Bible studies gave a cost. Bible's. study aids, our time---none of that has any charge to you.

Even at every Kingdom Hall or convention, not one collection plate, bag, bucket nor basket US ever passed around. There are a couple of contribution boxes mounted to the wall. Usually in the back. No one knows it c as n see what amount or even IF one puts any money in them.

But every month, all expenses are met. So we never need to beg for anything.

No Soliciting signs apply to the clergies, continually begging for money for EVERYTHING.
The spin that they brainwash you with is hilarious.

It's clearly the difference between the reality of the sign poster's intent versus your church's desired perception.

It's not surprising though. All religions are founded on a desired perception, not reality.

If you really wanted to be honest with yourself about this, you would evaluate the response you have received from the overwhelming majority of homes with no soliciting signs over the years. I realize that doing this would fly in the face of the bull**** that you are being spoonfed by your church so it is unlikely to happen.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-09-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver