Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlow View Post
That sign does not apply. We do not sell anything. Our publications are given away for free. No minister is EVER paid. One can give a voluntary contribution for the literature, BUT there is NEVER any obligation to do that.

Not even home Bible studies gave a cost. Bible's. study aids, our time---none of that has any charge to you.

Even at every Kingdom Hall or convention, not one collection plate, bag, bucket nor basket US ever passed around. There are a couple of contribution boxes mounted to the wall. Usually in the back. No one knows it c as n see what amount or even IF one puts any money in them.

But every month, all expenses are met. So we never need to beg for anything.

No Soliciting signs apply to the clergies, continually begging for money for EVERYTHING.

So what language should a sign have that you would accept and abide by as a notification that your overtures are not welcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I doesn't matter if you're selling anything. It's still soliciting... If you see a No Soliciting sign, turn around and leave.
That's a completely valid definition, but please consider that we have thousands (worldwide, billions) of homes and individuals to get to. We have no way of knowing what each person was thinking when they put up their own 'No Soliciting' sign and don't want to skip giving you something that we feel is life-saving when we're not sure what you meant. 'No Trespassing' is much more clear because it is a way to unconditionally warn people to stay off your property and has nothing to do with one's intentions. Also, it establishes legal grounds should you need to prosecute someone for trespassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
when I tell them "no thanks, I'm happy with my church", they don't care… I don't enjoy the confrontation and feeling that people are judging me on my own front porch.
The original question here was regarding witnessing activity increases in certain Aurora neighborhoods, and about effective signage to help protect peoples' privacy rights. I believe myself and others have clearly answered those questions. This discussion is now on the cusp of turning into a full religious debate and I don't believe CDF is an appropriate forum for that. If you have specific questions about JW beliefs and why we do what we do, please PM me and I will do my best to respond in a reasonable and kind manner. I respect your viewpoint either way and hope that you can find a way not be stressed by our calling upon you. That goes for other users as well, not just Denverian.

Last edited by otterprods; 09-09-2014 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Changed 'opinion' to 'definition'. Thanks hammer for pointing that out.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
That's a completely valid opinion, but please consider that we have thousands (worldwide, billions) of homes and individuals to get to. We have no way of knowing what each person was thinking when they put up their own 'No Soliciting' sign and don't want to skip giving you something that we feel is life-saving when we're not sure what you meant.
It's not an opinion, it's the definition. Now that you've been educated, if you see a No Soliciting sign at a door, turn around and leave. Please pass this information along to the rest of you army of harassment.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Years ago, I put a home-made sign in the window by the door when I had napping babies, and we were getting regular visits from unwanted groups of all types. It basically said, "If you ring this doorbell without calling first, you do so at your own risk. Yes, this means YOU! Don't know my number? Take that as a hint." Seemed to work well.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-09-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Otterprods - first off, thank you for being civil about the issue.

After reading all the responses (and doing a little research), the church has a loophole regarding the "No Soliciting" sign, and it appears it may have been upheld by the SCOTUS. Technically since they aren't directly selling anything they can legally ignore the sign. I personally disagree with that interpretation and think that common sense should apply here.

That being said, I'm probably going to have to confront the issue and ask the missionaries to remove our address from any databases or lists they have and hope that works. I don't like having to be an arse about it because they're nice and well-meaning, but barring being the creepy neighbor who has the foreboding "No Trespassing Sign" in his window it seems to be my only choice.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:35 AM

459 posts, read 808,062 times
I wonder if this sign would do the trick?

It's not a no trespassing sign, is applicable to the JW's, and still gets you cookies.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post

It's not a no trespassing sign, is applicable to the JW's, and still gets you cookies.
Or arrested for being a child molester

Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

After reading all the responses (and doing a little research), the church has a loophole regarding the "No Soliciting" sign, and it appears it may have been upheld by the SCOTUS. Technically since they aren't directly selling anything they can legally ignore the sign. I personally disagree with that interpretation and think that common sense should apply here.

That being said, I'm probably going to have to confront the issue and ask the missionaries to remove our address from any databases or lists they have and hope that works. I don't like having to be an arse about it because they're nice and well-meaning, but barring being the creepy neighbor who has the foreboding "No Trespassing Sign" in his window it seems to be my only choice.
One of my neighbors has a sign that's kind of funny, but directly mentions religious solicitation. I forget what it says... something like, "we gave at the office, our vaccuum works fine, we already found Jesus"... something along those lines.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:44 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:

EXACTLY the sign I'd have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Years ago, I put a home-made sign in the window .... It basically said, "If you ring this doorbell without calling first, you do so at your own risk. Yes, this means YOU! Don't know my number? Take that as a hint."
That is essentially my neighbor's tactic: No appointment - No opening the door.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Quote:
You're welcome. All of my brothers mean well. I love them all, and our core beliefs are the same, but some may lack experience and tact, and we're all imperfect. Please forgive any inconsistencies in that regard.

Quote:
After reading all the responses (and doing a little research), the church has a loophole regarding the "No Soliciting" sign, and it appears it may have been upheld by the SCOTUS. Technically since they aren't directly selling anything they can legally ignore the sign. I personally disagree with that interpretation and think that common sense should apply here. That being said, I'm probably going to have to confront the issue and ask the missionaries to remove our address from any databases or lists they have and hope that works.
It's great that you did some research. Our website (jw.org) tries to keep things as transparent as possible, and of course there are many good secular resources for that as well. You've hit upon something that has much significance in regards to constitutional rights, as well as fundamental human ones. That's the fact that JW's have won MANY court cases involving our right to preach (among other things) which have actually helped PROTECT everyone else's rights concerning religion, speech, fair trials, medical treatment and many other things. So, fortunately for all, it continues to be our right to preach in this country and many others, as well as your right to say 'No thank you' (or to not answer at all).

I also agree that common sense should prevail, but I hope people can understand that we have no way of knowing what someone was thinking when they put up a 'No Soliciting' sign until after we talk to them at least once. In some cases, it may mean anyone wanting to talk, but in other cases it may only be meant to apply to people literally selling goods or services. (2 Cor. 2:17) Also, the person at the door may not have even been the one who put it up.

Quote:
I wonder if this sign would do the trick? It's not a not trespassing sign, is applicable to the JW's, and still gets you cookies.
Honestly, when I see a sign like that in the ministry (which I have), I think something like, 'oh good, I like that they made it so clear for me, they've obviously made their choice, so I can move on… I just hope their whole family agrees.' And then I think, '...I wonder if they might share their cookies though.' But I still move on, sadly without cookies. :-)

Last edited by otterprods; 09-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling and grammar, fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver