Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 05:31 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
December 25-31, 2015 - below freezing for 7 days. Not only that but THE LOW WAS BELOW 5 DEGREES for 6/7 OF THOSE DAYS.

PEOPLE DIED

Also, IN THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH,the low was BELOW FREEZING EVERY SINGLE DAY.

When that sun hits the pavement, sure, it feels pretty cozy in March, but the second a cloud moves over or you go to the wrong side of a building, it feels freezing. March basically felt freezing every single day other than 2pm-4pm when the sun shined and you were lucky enough to be in the right spot.

And what time of day were those lows?

Old 07-22-2016, 05:47 PM

29 posts, read 27,589 times
I only read the first few pages and last few pages of this forum... but is Denver's winter anything like Buffalo, NY's winter? We sometimes would get snow around Halloween (it would melt) but then the heavy snow would happen later like Nov/Dec and hang around until like April / Mayish... with random snow falls in between. Rarely huge storms, but sometimes lake effect would dump a few inches here and there. It was sometimes below freezing, but when it was like 40 we were happy.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:50 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertothotbot View Post
I only read the first few pages and last few pages of this forum... but is Denver's winter anything like Buffalo, NY's winter? We sometimes would get snow around Halloween (it would melt) but then the heavy snow would happen later like Nov/Dec and hang around until like April / Mayish... with random snow falls in between. Rarely huge storms, but sometimes lake effect would dump a few inches here and there. It was sometimes below freezing, but when it was like 40 we were happy.
You can get snow from Sept - May...ive seen it in my 4 years here. That said its nothing like Buffalo. I'm from Pittsburgh and not even close. We get a lot of snow but it melts pretty fast, its sunny 10x more than back east. It can range from -10 to 70 in January within a week.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
December 25-31, 2015 - below freezing for 7 days. Not only that but THE LOW WAS BELOW 5 DEGREES for 6/7 OF THOSE DAYS.

PEOPLE DIED

Also, IN THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH, the low was BELOW FREEZING EVERY SINGLE DAY.

When that sun hits the pavement, sure, it feels pretty cozy in March, but the second a cloud moves over or you go to the wrong side of a building, it feels freezing. March basically felt freezing every single day other than 2pm-4pm when the sun shined and you were lucky enough to be in the right spot.
Please note I was responding to a post that talked about stretches of below zero weather. Now unless you are talking Centigrade temps, your examples were all above zero.

Any death is sad.

Note that March 2016 had 1 day with a high in the 20s (28 on 3/18), 4 in the 30s, 8 in the 40s, 7 in the 50s, 8 in the 60s and 3 in the 70s. Highest temp was 73 on 3/11. 60% of the days in March had a high of 50 or more.

Source: Wunderground

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-22-2016 at 07:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 06:54 PM

56 posts, read 60,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And what time of day were those lows?
There are weeks and weeks when people getting off work are dealing with temps below 20. A lot of people forget that there is a large portion of the population that works after 6pm. Servers/workers at restaurants, for example.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
There are weeks and weeks when people getting off work are dealing with temps below 20. A lot of people forget that there is a large portion of the population that works after 6pm. Servers/workers at restaurants, for example.
So in other words, you're trying to avoid admitting those lows were during the night, when most folks aren't spending much time actually outside. Even if they are getting off work.. The highs, during the day, are often nice enough that you CAN be outside for more than a dash to the car. Bonus is that the same thing happens during the summer. It actually cools off, making it pleasant enough to sit outside (without slapping mosquitos away!) with the beverage of your choice.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Bonus is that the same thing happens during the summer. It actually cools off, making it pleasant enough to sit outside (without slapping mosquitos away!) with the beverage of your choice.
I've had to run my AC all through the night for the past month, so that's another fib.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:03 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squib View Post
A few thoughts on Denver's weather from a native:

1. In the winter you can be outside in a t-shirt and shorts on a sunny 30 degree day in January and it "feels" like it's 70 degrees. Then a cloud passes over and it feels like the temperature just dropped 30 degrees in a few seconds. Same for when the sun goes down. The solution as any Denverite knows: Wear layers so that you can adjust accordingly.
2. Most of the people I know have moved from the midwest (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas). To a person, they all love Denver's weather and rave about how you can be outside most days of the year. Apparently this is not the case everywhere.
3. Mild is not the correct word to use unless you are only looking at averages. Daily temps swing like crazy compared to many other places. San Diego may hit a high of 85 during the day and then a low of 75 at night. While Denver hits a high of 95 during the day and a low of 65 at night. Both average about 80 degrees, and would be considered statistically even, but statistics aren't telling the whole story.
4. Denver is kind of shaped like a bowl, with downtown being the low point (5280 feet) and many of the suburbs up to as high as 6000 feet (particularly the southern, and western suburbs). This creates different temperatures and even different climates depending upon where you live. A snowstorm can dump 20 inches in Highlands Ranch and barely even touch downtown. A side note: A boss who lives in or near Castle Rock or Evergreen is a great thing to have since they will more than empathize with your snow excuses.
Perfectly explained!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I've had to run my AC all through the night for the past month, so that's another fib.
Not a fib High today was 89. Low is/will be 64. Much lower than I keep my a/c.

I've only run mine maybe 2-3 times. Whole house fan pulls that awesome cool night air inside and whooshes the stale air out. I've even had to get a blanket out once or twice. Maybe your trouble is in your home systems.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-22-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Not a fib. I've only run mine maybe 2-3 times. Whole house fan pulls that awesome cool night air inside. I've had to get a blanket out once or twice. Maybe your trouble is in your home systems.
Nope, I don't have a whole house fan... Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver