Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 11:46 AM

556 posts, read 763,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Every city has winter by definition. A mild winter would be PHX or Miami, IMO. Denver has a full-blown winter with snow and ice and blizzards.
This true, but the snow, ice, and blizzards and hardly problematic like they are in other parts of the country.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 AM

133 posts, read 149,527 times
I was going to say that every city has winter by definition, too. LOL. I don't think any city that gets as much snow and ice as Denver does (and for as many months as it does) should be considered mild. I have never lived in a city (aside from Green Bay, WI - even there I think it would be easier to sell bc they plow the streets when it snows and bc of that you can drive a rear wheel there if you really wanted to) where a rear wheel drive car cannot be sold. I am currently in Phoenix to sell my rear wheel drive car bc I absolutely could not sell it in Denver at all. It is a 2008 Infinity FX35 and in great shape so it is not a beater that no one would want.

Someone said this and I strongly disagree with parts of it (I don't know how to pull out part of a quote from a post!! :/), "You just plain and simple don't get the same type of cold-bitterness and never-ending snow accumulation that you do in most of the US that has a true winter. The cold-windy snowy days are offset my multiple sunny days in the 40s and 50s that melt the snow. Days like that rarely happen other winter states" I disagree with where this poster says "most of the US that has a true winter... That is so subjective - it cannot be stated other than an opinion.

I have lived in Northeast and Upper Midwest Climates for over 30 years of my life - and I would say Denver is winter is anything but mild - Hard, Very Long, Cold, Gray and Harsh would be my description. So, obviously my opinion is different than others - it does not make me or the people who disagree with me wrong - our opinions of 'winter', 'four season climate', 'mild', and 'harsh' are different... and I think that is the most important thing for a new person to realize when reading these boards. It is something I did not fully appreciate until I lived in Denver.

And, to me the summer has been absolutely delightful!

Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 PM

133 posts, read 149,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
This true, but the snow, ice, and blizzards and hardly problematic like they are in other parts of the country.
I find the snow, ice and blizzards pretty problematic!!! And, I know alot of people who feel the same way! They do not plow the roads here (unless they are main highways) and even then there is black ice everywhere (even on the main roads!) when the sun goes below the horizon - like a flash freeze. Because of this the driving conditions are pretty bad even on days it has not snowed bc the existing snow is melting all over the roads and driveways - and whatever the department of transportation puts on the main streets does not stop the freezing ice after 5pm (again anything but the main highways are not done at all) .

Last edited by sailelsa; 08-19-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 12:32 PM

18 posts, read 17,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
I find the snow, ice and blizzards pretty problematic!!! And, I know alot of people who feel the same way! They do not plow the roads here (unless they are main highways) and even then there is black ice everywhere (even on the main roads!) when the sun goes below the horizon - like a flash freeze. Because of this the driving conditions are pretty bad even on days it has not snowed bc the existing snow is melting all over the roads and driveways - and whatever the department of transportation puts on the main streets does not stop the freezing ice after 5pm (again anything but the main highways are not done at all) .
This. ^ Despite what all the delusionists spout.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:49 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
I have lived in Northeast and Upper Midwest Climates for over 30 years of my life - and I would say Denver is winter is anything but mild - Hard, Very Long, Cold, Gray and Harsh would be my description. So, obviously my opinion is different than others - it does not make me or the people who disagree with me wrong - our opinions of 'winter', 'four season climate', 'mild', and 'harsh' are different... and I think that is the most important thing for a new person to realize when reading these boards. It is something I did not fully appreciate until I lived in Denver.

Facts>opinions

Old 08-19-2016, 12:56 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
I was going to say that every city has winter by definition, too. LOL. I don't think any city that gets as much snow and ice as Denver does (and for as many months as it does) should be considered mild. I have never lived in a city (aside from Green Bay, WI - even there I think it would be easier to sell bc they plow the streets when it snows and bc of that you can drive a rear wheel there if you really wanted to) where a rear wheel drive car cannot be sold. I am currently in Phoenix to sell my rear wheel drive car bc I absolutely could not sell it in Denver at all. It is a 2008 Infinity FX35 and in great shape so it is not a beater that no one would want.

Someone said this and I strongly disagree with parts of it (I don't know how to pull out part of a quote from a post!! :/), "You just plain and simple don't get the same type of cold-bitterness and never-ending snow accumulation that you do in most of the US that has a true winter. The cold-windy snowy days are offset my multiple sunny days in the 40s and 50s that melt the snow. Days like that rarely happen other winter states" I disagree with where this poster says "most of the US that has a true winter... That is so subjective - it cannot be stated other than an opinion.

I respectively disagree with you and I am originally from San Diego. Again, good luck on your search for the perfect climate that suits you.

Last edited by Timmyy; 08-19-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 PM

32 posts, read 45,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Facts>opinions

Interesting stats, but cherry picking data doesn't really make the case one way or another. Based on your figures, there isn't a tremendous difference in sunny days between Denver, New York, Kansas City or Boston. The only city on your list that really jumps out is Buffalo. It would be easy to provide stats that paint Denver winters as longer and more harsh than some of the cities on your list (average annual snowfall, average date of first and last snow fall, average date of first and last frost, average low temperature, annual days with snow fall, etc.), but that doesn't mean the winters are necessarily harsh or more harsh than the other cities on your list. If a lack of sunny days was the main criteria for a harsh winter, Seattle winters would likely be more "harsh" than almost all of the cities on your list. For some, the sun light is a big deal during winter, for others, it could be snow and ice. IMO, this is why the perception of "mild" varies so much and makes it difficult to qualify Denver winters as mild or harsh. They are both or neither, sometimes in the same day.

Last edited by hiapr; 08-19-2016 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiapr View Post
Interesting stats, but cherry picking data doesn't really make the case one way or another. Based on your figures, there isn't a tremendous difference in sunny days between Denver, New York, Kansas City or Boston. The only city on your list that really jumps out is Buffalo. It would be easy to provide stats that paint Denver winters as longer and more harsh than some of the cities on your list (average annual snowfall, average date of first and last snow fall, average date of first and last frost, average low temperature, annual days with snow fall, etc.), but that doesn't mean the winters are necessarily harsh or more harsh than the other cities on your list. If a lack of sunny days was the main criteria for a harsh winter, Seattle winters would likely be more "harsh" than almost all of the cities on your list. For some, the sun light is a big deal during winter, for others, it could be snow and ice. IMO, this is why the perception of "mild" varies so much and makes it difficult to qualify Denver winters as mild or harsh. They are both or neither, sometimes in the same day.
I was responding specifically to the charge that Denver is gray in the winter compared to the Midwest or northeast. Hardly cherry picking. It's factually innaccurate to make such a claim.

If I were cherry picking, I would have left New York out.

5 days more sun in a 31 day month is a significant percentage better.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM

32 posts, read 45,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I was responding specifically to the charge that Denver is gray in the winter compared to the Midwest or northeast. Hardly cherry picking.

5 days more sun in a 31 day month is a significant percentage better.
You quoted her statement that included long, hard and cold as well so you cherry picked one of those that you bolded.

According to your data, Denver has 77 days of sunshine and New York has 71, not much difference and certainly not 5 days per month. Boston and Kansas City both have 62 days of sunshine or 3.75 days per month. This is if you are including the days where the some comes out for a bit. The number of actual sunny days is even closer.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiapr View Post
You quoted her statement that included long, hard and cold as well so you cherry picked one of those that you bolded.

According to your data, Denver has 77 days of sunshine and New York has 71, not much difference and certainly not 5 days per month. Boston and Kansas City both have 62 days of sunshine or 3.75 days per month. This is if you are including the days where the some comes out for a bit. The number of actual sunny days is even closer.
Again, factually inaccurate that Denver is gray compared to the Midwest or northeast.

Add relative humidity to the equation and for me it's a no brainer. I lived half a decade in KC. The winter is miserable compared to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver