Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 03:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiapr View Post
I was replying to the chart posted by SkyDog that referenced sunny and partly sunny days, not % of sunshine. You then took that out of context by comparing Denver to cities that weren't referenced in the chart just to make your own point.

You have no argument from me that Denver is sunnier than a lot of the country, but it's not the Southwest where 80-90% annual sunshine is fairly common (vs 69% annual sunshine in Denver https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ne-by-city.php). If you are going to compare Denver to the most gloomy climates, it's only fair to also compare it to the most sunny climates. Denver falls somewhere in the middle.
Oh, BS I took it all out of context. My link gave the figures as percent sunshine. That's generally a good predictor of sunny days. In a different post, I did mention sunny days, but then someone didn't like the cities I picked! You referenced "some midwestern cities" and New York. I posted stats for some midwestern cities and New York. That link didn't have Fargo or Omaha on it; they might be closer to Denver in amount of sunshien, but really, if you go even a little ways east, you get less sun.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:41 PM

32 posts, read 45,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, BS I took it all out of context. My link gave the figures as percent sunshine. That's generally a good predictor of sunny days. In a different post, I did mention sunny days, but then someone didn't like the cities I picked! You referenced "some midwestern cities" and New York. I posted stats for some midwestern cities and New York. That link didn't have Fargo or Omaha on it; they might be closer to Denver in amount of sunshien, but really, if you go even a little ways east, you get less sun.
No BS. I wasn't responding to your link, I was responding to the chart SkyDog posted where he referenced some midwestern cities and New York.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
No BS. I wasn't responding to your link, I was responding to the chart SkyDog posted where he referenced some midwestern cities and New York.
Well, you quoted me. I'm off to the Broncos game. Good night!

Old 08-20-2016, 04:45 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
"See" ya there!

Old 08-20-2016, 04:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Aw, I'm jealous, but I am headed for the alpine slide tomorrow. One last summer hurrah with the kids!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:25 PM

32 posts, read 45,964 times
Quote:
Enjoy the game.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:06 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshwon View Post
"Ideal climate" is relative. So is what one person considers extreme or mild or livable. There are any number of factors that contribute to this. To condemn someone for thinking Denver has a mild climate (to them) is just as myopic as someone condemning a person for thinking it's not mild.

I was born and raised in Boston and have now lived in Houston for 14 years and I can firmly tell you I would trade the weather in Boston/Denver for Houston's any day. FOR ME the summers here are virtually unlivable. The furnace can turn on as early as late March and stays on well into mid/late Oct. And the summers are just as crippling as a long winter. Where they keep you inside because it's just way too hot to do anything outdoors besides going to the store for essentials. Constant heat advisories and people dying because they can't stay inside anymore and want to do some extended outdoor activity.

So for every extreme winter there are places where the opposite is true. That doesn't even take into account what other health issues may exists that make living in warm climates more difficult (and there are a lot). For that reason everyone's ideal climate doesn't include 90 degree weather (humidity or not). For me I would take the long winter knowing that eventually it will end with a warm less humid summer knowing that it will end also. In other words variety. Houston there is really only two seasons with the worst one lasting what feels like 9-10 months out of the year.

Having lived in both climates with long snowy winters and long steamy summers I find it much easier and more desireable to get out and do things in the winter vs a Houston summer. You can dress and prepare for the cold/snow and actually make use of it (we ski/snowboard). In the summer here there is not much you can do before the heat sucks the life out of you and you have to go back inside. Being outside running errands only to come home and just want to lay down because you have no energy left.
I made the opposite migration as yours. I went from Texas to DC. When I know it's cold, I just wear an extra jacket and a beanie, problem solved. I ride the bus and train and even when it was allegedly 20 degrees it wasn't awful.....because you prepared for it.

What can you do with the heat? You can't go out naked.

why are you still in Houston?

Old 08-20-2016, 06:15 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schloe View Post
I agree, a lot of people are delusional about the climate here.

The winters here are not mild, they are just less bad than they are in a few other places in the country. The summers here are not mild, they are just less hot or less humid than they are in a few other places in the country.

In general, winters here are long and cold and somewhat snowy, but the general abundant sunshine and some beautiful days in January and February make them feel not so horrible. Summers here are gnarly. Go do some yardwork at 1:00 in the afternoon in July - the sun is INTENSE and you will get SMOKED. You can't even drink enough water to be outside for a long period of time on a sunny summer day, you will have to find shade. Spring and fall don't happen here, it's basically winter during those times with some summer climate days thrown in for good measure.

My guess - people who say the climate here is "mild" have never lived on the coasts. I've lived in Denver for most of my 35 years, but I have also lived in Santa Barbara and Cape Cod - they have MUCH milder climates than here obviously.
Santa Barbara - yes.

Cape Cod - mild climate?? Mild climate and anywhere in New England I don't think has even been uttered in the same sentence. Nor'easters??

Old 08-20-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Aw, I'm jealous, but I am headed for the alpine slide tomorrow. One last summer hurrah with the kids!
Sounds like fun!

Quote:
Enjoy the game.
It was a beautiful night for the game. Too bad, well, you know!

Old 08-25-2016, 03:11 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2zJOryHKQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver