Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Bedrock to invest nearly $70 million in renovation of former Free Press building

The developer will lease out the building's first floor for retail and the second and third floors for office space. About 130 residential units will take up the rest of the space

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...press-building
This a cool building, but it is a wreck inside. Step 1 - pump 150,000 gallons of polluted water out of the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Woodward from Campus Martius to Grand Circus park is looking really awesome already. If you take the time to examine the architecture detail, you could be lost in it for hours. There are some amazingly beautiful buildings and a beautifully eclectic mix of ages and styles. Lots if intriguing new and old shops and restaurants/taverns. People everywhere. This is exactly what a City should be IMO.

Most of the remaining empty buildings are either available for lease or being renovated. It is clear people are banking on Qline working out big time. I hope they are right.

Found a new restaurant (to me) on Washington (I think) Italian sandwich shop called bora asjhs lsakh (or "The Black Sheep" in English) (No idea what the Italian name really is, but pretty sure it is The Black Sheep). Didn't eat there, but I was told it is double plus awesome. Anyone know it?

Old 04-28-2017, 06:25 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Found a new restaurant (to me) on Washington (I think) Italian sandwich shop called bora asjhs lsakh (or "The Black Sheep" in English) (No idea what the Italian name really is, but pretty sure it is The Black Sheep). Didn't eat there, but I was told it is double plus awesome. Anyone know it?
La Pecora Nera just opened in March.
I haven't tried it and I don't believe any co-workers have, either. Most of them seem to eat the same thing every day.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I haven't tried it and I don't believe any co-workers have, either. Most of them seem to eat the same thing every day.
Same here. We now have a chef that cooks lunch for us usually 4 days a week, so it is hard to get anyone to get out at all, even me. Free better food is hard to turn down for expensive usually not as good food, but you get to walk around and look at cool things. Still, I will try that place soon, maybe Friday (no chef on Friday).

Old 05-08-2017, 08:59 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Corktown 'Elton Park Development'

-$150 million project

-420 apartments and 30,000 square feet of retail space across 6 buildings to a 4.5-acre swath of Corktown

-The $45 million first phase of the project, announced last year, includes 151 apartments totaling 124,000 square feet, averaging 821 square feet, and just over 13,000 square feet of retail. That phase is expected to be complete by late summer 2018

-An active alley between the Checker Cab Building and a new 4-story residential/retail building

Corktown to get $150 million facelift for mixed-use development - WXYZ.com

Corktown is about to look very, very different | News Hits

Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,505 times
Oh man, that is going to kill the vibe at UFO Factory

Old 05-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

"-420 apartments. . . "
They are building apartments just for pot smokers now? Interesting twist.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Went there today. Really good sandwich, but not cheap ($15 with an Iced Tea). Their sandwich was so big I saved half for dinner, so it is really two meals for $7.50 each. Next time, I will skip the tea ($3) and order a cheaper sandwich. I had the Italiano which is their signature sandwich according to the guy at the counter but it is also the most expensive sandwich I saw by quite a bit. Easily twice as good as Potbelly, so arguably worth twice the price. Not a place I can afford to eat at regularly, but certainly will go back at times. They also have a small odd assortment of groceries. Four or five items of fresh produce, some Italian specialty items and then some oddball stuff like a protein shake or dried cranberries. I want to try more items before I really determine whether it is awesome of just good, but certainly worth trying.

It would be a good idea for them to offer half sandwiches for half price, or half price plus 50 cents or so.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
I took a couple of my favorite Detroit photos from reddit and put them into a simple collage. I wanted to share them here to highlight a couple of landmark Detroit achievements that have taken place in the Post-Recession, Post-Bankruptcy version of Detroit:

Top Left: Streetlights on in an east side neighborhood
Top Right: QLine street-car in front of Wayne State
Bottom Left: Belle Isle is beautiful
Bottom Right: An aerial night shot of a thriving, urban Downtown

A lot of these things would be nothing special in most US cities, but in Detroit they are. They show recovery and optimism; that's important.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I took a couple of my favorite Detroit photos from reddit and put them into a simple collage. I wanted to share them here to highlight a couple of landmark Detroit achievements that have taken place in the Post-Recession, Post-Bankruptcy version of Detroit:

Top Left: Streetlights on in an east side neighborhood
Top Right: QLine street-car in front of Wayne State
Bottom Left: Belle Isle is beautiful
Bottom Right: An aerial night shot of a thriving, urban Downtown

A lot of these things would be nothing special in most US cities, but in Detroit they are. They show recovery and optimism; that's important.
Nice collage. Her name is Belle Isle? THat is a funny coincidence because we have a park here by the same name.

Q line opens tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit