Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 19,115 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving back to the downriver area after being gone for 30 years. How is the job situation there. I am willing to even except a file clerk position. The job situation out here in Southern California is all dried up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
McDonalds on Van Born road is almost always hiring part time cooks.

Otherwise the avialability of jobs depends on your skills and experience. Some fields are doing well. THere is still a considerable number of assembly workers waiting to get called back to work. Some of that work has picked up recently, many of the former workers have moved on to other jobs, but there are still a lot waiting for jobs. If they were able to fire the people who keep getting caught smoking pot during breaks, the demand for workers woudl pick up a bit.

The chemical companies have hired atuie a few new engineers int he past few years, especially BASF. Are you a chemical engineer?

Olga's needs a host/hostess.

If you drive around, you will see a lot of posters "Work at home, earn up to $75 per hour on your computer"

Grosse Ile was looking for a new airport manager. I do not know whether they found someone.

There are jobs around, espcially in medical aand service related fields. It appears the majority of the jobs are part time and minimum wage or just above. No one can afford benefits, so most unskilled jobs are 35 hours a week.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
If I were back in Detroit, I would check into the railroads (my experience would obviously help). Locally these would be CSX and Grand Trunk Western where I worked years ago (before computerization). Good pay and benefits at the time.
Two types of work: A) Office work (i had several jobs there) B) Line work (outside on the lines more physical than office work). I would think that there is some ongoing turnover there.
I can go over some of the office tasks, but I can say that file clerk was the lowest, but still decent, pay and benefits. Each task had an assigned desk and pay rate. They had their own credit union and a great pension system.
Things probably have changed a lot, but I would at least look into it. These may not be downriver unless the line work is in that area.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Based on the frequency at which the train block muliple roads for extreme lengths of time, it is safe to sya the railroads must be very busy in the downriver area. In fact, it is safe to say it is ridiculous and people are getting worked up enough to do something about it. Not sure why the railroads cannot/will not schedule their road blocking actvities for off hours, but they are going to run into a huge grassroots political groundswell to force them into respecting the public if they do nto change on their own soon.

Nanyway. Back to jobs. Asking around the majority, of decent (non-food service) jobs seem to be in medical and chemical industries. There is a trickle of jobs, but it is not booming. everyone I tlaked with who was looking recently got jobs, but not always at the level they wanted. However one gal was able to choose between four offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: