Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:16 PM

979 posts, read 3,828,663 times
Lol!!!!!!!! No! Not at all but bring an apetite! The pizza is deep dep DEEP dish. It's like 5 layer pizza. You def have to try it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 04:29 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Roma's Cafe

We'd all called Roma's for short. It is near Patton Park by Arab town in Dearborn, i believe.

It was good "in tha day". I wonder if it still is?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 PM

117 posts, read 619,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
I'm getting so hungry from this thread lol
mee too. LOL
going out to get food...

Old 02-19-2008, 06:04 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
Roma's Cafe

We'd all called Roma's for short. It is near Patton Park by Arab town in Dearborn, i believe.

It was good "in tha day". I wonder if it still is?
Roma Cafe is in Detroit by Eastern Market...Sure you don't mean "Roman Village" on Dix? Several locations of the same family with different restaurant names but same menu. "Antonio's" in Dearborn Heights, one in Canton and I think one in Farmington Hills or out that way....Vince's in Detroit on Springwells used to be good..haven't been there in a while. Probably still is. Good place for Detroit nostalgia too.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
For some reason I have never been to Pizzapopalis, in my defense I was out of town for 12 years. I'm going to have to remedy this very soon. I'm curious what makes it good hangover pizza? Do you have to be hungover?
I think hangover pizza is best served cold. Like revenge....Pizzapopalis is good. Kind of expensive......I don't really consider it "pizza" as much as a "pizza casserole".

Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Roma Cafe is in Detroit by Eastern Market...Sure you don't mean "Roman Village" on Dix? Several locations of the same family with different restaurant names but same menu. "Antonio's" in Dearborn Heights, one in Canton and I think one in Farmington Hills or out that way....Vince's in Detroit on Springwells used to be good..haven't been there in a while. Probably still is. Good place for Detroit nostalgia too.
That's it...Roman Village! It was alright back in the day.

I heard from a lady at work who lives in the area that Vince's closed some time ago.It was a neat restaurant, felt like stepping back in a differnt era, especially for what the neighborhood eventually became. Long story short, it became a Mexican restaurant. (going on hearsay though.. might of been some miscommunication as to what restaurant we were speaking of...)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM

156 posts, read 562,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
LOL! I went there a couple weeks ago and BF was really unhappy and complaining about the service, but I didn't care because I had one of those great strong beers.

I like Sala Thai, Union Street and I love Niki's pizza. Detroit has a lot of great places to eat.
I don't dislike those places either, but the question was what's your favorite restaurant, not restaurants. By the way, if you like Union Street, you'll like Majestic Cafe across the street too. Their menu reads like a standard, if ecletic, selection of Detroit favorites as well as other ethnic and down home offerings, but with a unique twist that is hard to describe if you don't actually try it.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM

156 posts, read 562,656 times
The problem with some, though not all, nostalgic restaurants is that their menus can be rather dated and unrefined. Roma Cafe is a good example. While they do provide a solid, filling "red-sauce" type of meal, it seems a tad overpriced for what you get and some of it feels a bit mass-produced. For example, the side of spaghetti that comes with a lot of entres has the look and feel of stuff you might get in a school cafeteria, and I know for a fact they use frozen vegetables in at least some of their dishes in spite of their location in Eastern Market because I had a meal once with side veggies that were still half frozen. They took it back and gave it another 30 seconds in the microwave. But the Roma salad is a very good, well-tossed basic salad that is very hard to find nowadays. The service, on the other hand, is usually excellent. And their wait staff is unionized with full benefits, so unions may not always be all bad.
There are good examples of nostalgic restaurants, though. I can think of two good German examples. Stepping into the Dakota Inn Rathskeller up in the fashionable neighborhood around John R. and 6 mile is like being beamed into Bavaria complete with costumes, umpa music and good, cheap, homemade German food, and Jacoby's behind the county building downtown has some really good rib-sticking German food and beer. And of course there are those Polish gems in Hamtramck.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
I don't dislike those places either, but the question was what's your favorite restaurant, not restaurants. By the way, if you like Union Street, you'll like Majestic Cafe across the street too. Their menu reads like a standard, if ecletic, selection of Detroit favorites as well as other ethnic and down home offerings, but with a unique twist that is hard to describe if you don't actually try it.
I find it a bit silly for you to take issue with my post because I named more than one, ecspecially since they all offer very different types of food. I simply don't have a favorite because I enjoy many different experiences. I haven't tried the majestic cafe, I went there for drinks but didn't check out the menu, i will though, thanks for the recommendation.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I think hangover pizza is best served cold. Like revenge....Pizzapopalis is good. Kind of expensive......I don't really consider it "pizza" as much as a "pizza casserole".
Exactly! "pizza casserole" That's definitely it! Ya have to eat it cold since you can only through one piece while you're there anyway. I love cold pizza though. mmmm MMM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit