Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just curious... what liver function test was that? I was a bit high on a test called total bilirubin and I do drink some.
When on certain meds and especially statin meds the liver is monitored. I have no knowledge of just how they work all I see is I'm 50% over the highest number and the reading is flagged as HIGH. Pharmacist told me today it may just be a fatty liver. So now I'm whatever they call that fattened goose liver. Forgot about that stuff. I think force feeding geese is outlawed now. I don't like any liver so I didn't get a goose killed for that stuff. I will not fully understand it until the follow up after an ultrasound the 25th. Alcohol can do the same thing evidently because he asked me how much I drink. I don't. I told him the last doc that said I had to of been an alcoholic because I was on no meds to cause it got fired. That got his attention. One thing docs have told me is that the liver if let alone will regenerate itself. Now if we could regenerate the pancreas I'd feel a lot better. There is only so much that we know about the triggers for diabetes. Mine is active only in my eyes. A1c of 5.2 now but eyes don't know that. I'd like to reverse the damage in the retinas. Some research in Europe says that it might be possible. Keyword is might. I pushed the A1c to the brink twice with two different docs. If I get off of the things I do right the stick my finger tests tell me so. At least no more readings of 300- a couple. My danger is compounded. Glucose spikes are extremely threating. So are bp spikes. The diabetic eyes bleed in the retina capillaries from what I can find out. Those capillaries need to be repaired. The question is can it be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 06:18 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
I read a book about reversing diabetes (I am Type 2) and the bottom line is no meat and no dairy..
Hmm, that's the first time I've heard that, I think low-sodium sliced turkey is okay.

Some other meats were also recommended in my good old reference The Scarsdale Diet, [ penned by the dearly departed finagler Dr. Tarnower. ]

Old 07-14-2016, 07:15 AM

Some are recommended a vegan diet to prevent and cure everything. I don't believe it. I've seen the no no for meat for type II. My wife does home health. She has patients that are type II that are thin as a baseball bat. There is lot more to it than avoiding meat or dairy. My numbers plummeted when I dropped the hypoglycemic carbs. The meat I tolerate and the blood tests lower is of all things pulled pork without the sugar laden sauce.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
When on certain meds and especially statin meds the liver is monitored. I have no knowledge of just how they work all I see is I'm 50% over the highest number and the reading is flagged as HIGH. Pharmacist told me today it may just be a fatty liver. So now I'm whatever they call that fattened goose liver. Forgot about that stuff. I think force feeding geese is outlawed now. I don't like any liver so I didn't get a goose killed for that stuff. I will not fully understand it until the follow up after an ultrasound the 25th. Alcohol can do the same thing evidently because he asked me how much I drink. I don't. I told him the last doc that said I had to of been an alcoholic because I was on no meds to cause it got fired. That got his attention. One thing docs have told me is that the liver if let alone will regenerate itself. Now if we could regenerate the pancreas I'd feel a lot better. There is only so much that we know about the triggers for diabetes. Mine is active only in my eyes. A1c of 5.2 now but eyes don't know that. I'd like to reverse the damage in the retinas. Some research in Europe says that it might be possible. Keyword is might. I pushed the A1c to the brink twice with two different docs. If I get off of the things I do right the stick my finger tests tell me so. At least no more readings of 300- a couple. My danger is compounded. Glucose spikes are extremely threating. So are bp spikes. The diabetic eyes bleed in the retina capillaries from what I can find out. Those capillaries need to be repaired. The question is can it be done?
I probably went 7 to 10 years without being diagnosed. I was totally ignorant. The frequent urination and excessive thirst never alerted me to diabetes. Even when I was diagnosed, I was totally in the dark and drank a regular coke in the hospital waiting room. So when they ran the tests a short time later, my BG was in the 300's. That was a total surprise since nobody in my family had it (that I knew of). I went for about 8 years after that eating whatever I wanted and taking the pills I was prescribed, thinking all would be fine. My A1C kept going up which meant that the meds were not working that well anymore. I started reading and reading and found the LCHF diet that a lot of other T2's were following. That was almost two years ago and I haven't looked back since.

My eyes are fine, my feet however are not. I still feel some numbness in my feet (no pain). I take ALA for that and it has helped tremendously. Dr Bernstein claims that if you normalize your BG, nerves will regenerate and grow back at rate of 1mm per day. So some of the longest nerves from the spine to the feet will take 2 to 3 years to recover the damaged nerves IF you consistently keep you BG normal.

Last edited by gguerra; 07-14-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 12:05 AM

My feet were burning some tonight. ate a sandwich on the fly. Not smart. tomorrow on the straight and narrow. I think to many docs assume what will be will be. My mother kept telling me to watch for it. All of my paternal grandmothers siblings died from diabetes before it was known how to control it. She never developed it. I know I have some genes for it. Now instead of meat and potatoes it is meat and greens. After walking around some my feet have stopped burning. I switched from diet drinks to regular to get away from aspartame. Big mistake. Tea is now made with Stevia and sometimes Splenda. Neither effect my tests 2 hours after eating.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:02 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Whole Earth monk fruit concentrate is one of the best-tasting sweeteners on the market IMO, but hard to find in stores:

Old 07-17-2016, 04:02 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
I probably went 7 to 10 years without being diagnosed. I was totally ignorant. The frequent urination and excessive thirst never alerted me to diabetes.
Same here. One time I ate at McDonalds twice in one day and had a regular coke. A LARGE coke with refills.

On the way home while driving my eyesight just slowly became blurry. It was scary because EVERYTHING went out of focus. I could not read anything and barely made it home.

My godfather and I both have it. And of course, everyone in my family has it except for one sibling. It is very common amongst Native Americans.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
My most recent A1C was at 5.2 from as high as 7.3. My diabetes is NOT reversed and I highly doubt it ever will be. My medication is the basically the same as it's always been, but I follow a semi-strict low carb diet. If I go back to my old ways I am guaranteed to still have high A1C numbers.
Keep it up.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:05 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Same here. One time I ate at McDonalds twice in one day and had a regular coke. A LARGE coke with refills.

On the way home while driving my eyesight just slowly became blurry. It was scary because EVERYTHING went out of focus. I could not read anything and barely made it home.

My godfather and I both have it. And of course, everyone in my family has it except for one sibling. It is very common amongst Native Americans.
You say it is common among Native Americans? What kind of diet do you follow? I think there is some genetic predisposition based on race, BUT I think that diet plays a much larger role. People that belong to certain groups eat the same kind of foods which of course will affect people the same way. If it is a generalization but it is something that many ignore as a factor. Also, I think the genetic predisposition if created by one person developing a disease/condition and then having children and passing it on. Eventually most or all within that group have the same predisposition. Just my opinion but it makes sense.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:36 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
You are correct. Diet is extremely important. And exercise.

My diet is well rounded. I like mexican food, Italian food, fast food, buffet food.

I know I could not live without meat. Tatanka! My primary goal is portion control and a sensible diet. I rarely eat desserts and I don't like pastries. But I definitely don't qualify as a poster child for diabetes. . Except maybe as the BEFORE picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes