Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
There's a reason they were chosen for the commercials.

Yes there is. It is to perpetuate the fallacy that people like you continue to propagate.

The truth is NOT ALL DIABETICS ARE OVERWEIGHT.

But you continue your own little version of discrimination, no one who matters will mind. And no one who minds will matter. (Thanks Dr. Seuss)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
We know there are thin people who have T2. And we know there are non-smokers who get lung cancer. So what?

The best way to avoid lung cancer is not to smoke. The best way to avoid T2 diabetes is to not get fat.

Notice that in the diabetes commercials that all the actors who are singing and dancing and boogying and having a great time are fat? There's a reason they were chosen for the commercials.
Being fat is not the cause of diabetes. It is what makes you fat in the first place that can give you diabetes. I do know fat people that have a terrible diet and have no significant health problems. I know there are exceptions but ..

This is an over simplification but for classic Type 2 diabetes cases (if there is such a thing), IMO, and what makes the most sense to me it that it is genetic AND having a bad diet that involves the over consumption of sugar and refined carbohydrates for an extended period of time (years). Both things typically have to take place for it to happen. Notice I said typically, so there are exceptions. If you have the gene and eat healthy you could avoid it. How do we know we have the gene? I don't think scientists have isolated it yet or have they?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,779,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Actually, the normal ranges of medical lab values are defined as mean +/-2 SD and "abnormal" does not equate with "unhealthy"- eg: 7ft tall is abnormal, but not necessarily unhealthy.

"Outliers" are data points well away from the group when you only have a small number of data points and there is no meaningful bell curve.

My point was that half of all people are heavier than the mean, and half lighter than the mean. But no conclusions can be drawn about health based on weight.

State of health is binary: if you have zero diseases, you are healthy. If you have at least one health problem, you are unhealthy. There's a weakness in our language: racing cars is "safer" than racing motorcycles, yet neither is "safe." How can that be? Is the guy with diabetes "healthier" than the guy with diabetes and cancer? Neither is "healthy."
Love how you clipped the most important part of my post right out, LOL!

The fact is that "normal" ranges are, in fact, determined using the Bell curve. EVERYTHING is on a range - and that includes A1c values. Some people are fine at quite high A1c levels, but they have chosen the ranges for "pre-diabetic", "diabetic", and "normal" based on where some percentage of the general population fall, taking into account who is and does not seem to be showing symptoms. Some people with "normal" A1c values still experience symptoms of Diabetes type 2; some with high values never show any symptomatology. But most people who fall into the described ranges (which are somewhat but not totally arbitrary) follow the described progression of the disease.

So - not binary.

Health is never binary. Only some diseases can be said to be binary. To think otherwise is extremely short-sighted and definitely a psuedo-scientific interpretation of reality.

By your definition, no human being can be healthy as no human being is EVER physically perfect. That's just silly.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:35 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,263,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Being fat is not the cause of diabetes. It is what makes you fat in the first place that can give you diabetes. I do know fat people that have a terrible diet and have no significant health problems. I know there are exceptions but ..

This is an over simplification but for classic Type 2 diabetes cases (if there is such a thing), IMO, and what makes the most sense to me it that it is genetic AND having a bad diet that involves the over consumption of sugar and refined carbohydrates for an extended period of time (years). Both things typically have to take place for it to happen. Notice I said typically, so there are exceptions. If you have the gene and eat healthy you could avoid it. How do we know we have the gene? I don't think scientists have isolated it yet or have they?
Oh come on. The best way to avoid Type 2 diabetes is to maintain the correct weight for your height (along with taking a 20-minute walk everyday), and you know it. That your overweight mom and overweight dad had T2 doesn't cut it as being genetic.

We need studies of Type 2 diabetics who ARE the correct weight (and take that 20-minute walk or run marathons). Then we can determine if is genetic, and if it can be related to a certain diet.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Yes there is. It is to perpetuate the fallacy that people like you continue to propagate.

The truth is NOT ALL DIABETICS ARE OVERWEIGHT.

But you continue your own little version of discrimination, no one who matters will mind. And no one who minds will matter. (Thanks Dr. Seuss)
YES, WE KNOW THAT. Just like not all lung cancer victims smoked (about 8% did not).

But if you want to avoid lung cancer, the best way is not to smoke. If you want to avoid TYPE 2 diabetes, don't become a tubby. There just aren't than many thin Type 2 diabetics, and you know it.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
YES, WE KNOW THAT. Just like not all lung cancer victims smoked (about 8% did not).

But if you want to avoid lung cancer, the best way is not to smoke. If you want to avoid TYPE 2 diabetes, don't become a tubby. There just aren't than many thin Type 2 diabetics, and you know it.

I know no such thing and neither do you.

I do know that there are many many many overweight/obese/morbidly obese people who DO NOT have diabetes. So obviously there are many factors that determine if one becomes diabetic.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I know no such thing and neither do you.

I do know that there are many many many overweight/obese/morbidly obese people who DO NOT have diabetes. So obviously there are many factors that determine if one becomes diabetic.
AND MOST SMOKERS DON'T GET LUNG CANCER. Are you suggesting it's OK to smoke?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 AM

Do you understand the difference between increasing risk and actual causation?

If you don't, there is no point in continuing this debate.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Oh come on. The best way to avoid Type 2 diabetes is to maintain the correct weight for your height (along with taking a 20-minute walk everyday), and you know it. That your overweight mom and overweight dad had T2 doesn't cut it as being genetic.

We need studies of Type 2 diabetics who ARE the correct weight (and take that 20-minute walk or run marathons). Then we can determine if is genetic, and if it can be related to a certain diet.
I never said that my parents had T2 or were even overweight. My mom is quite lean and my dad was of normal weight and they were not diabetic. Genes are not necessarily passed from parents directly to children and that is common knowledge. It could and often does skip generations. The gene is similar to a cancer gene. That theory has been proven time after time. Same goes for T2. My paternal grandmother was quite heavy and lived to 98 and had perfectly normal cholesterol and NO diabetes. She ate whatever she wanted with no worries.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 AM

7,279 posts, read 5,158,382 times
OK, folks. One more attempt to straighten you out. An example:

Hypertension is defined as bp>140/90. If one has hypertension and takes their pills, the bp will come down to < 140/90, but you still have the disease hypertension.

Diabetes is defined as a bs> 120mg%. If a diabetic exercises, eats properly and takes the proper meds, the bs will come down below 120, but he still has diabetes.

Re: genetics-- you can't "get" diabetes unless you have certain genetic patterns. It's just like the genes for dark tan-- you can have the genes but you don't get tanned unless you get some sun.

They have found specific genes for T2, but there are many more combinations possible, not found yet. It's complex inheritance. That's why it's not readily apparent that it's genetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes