Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:37 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I really would like to believe that. Yes, I really would........

My faith in doctors in general has been battered and bruised by greedy test happy "doctors" for years with results only when huge sums of money has been paid out if then.

I hear you friend, as I've said many times, how did my whole family before me, get thru it all, no test happy doctors back then. I still watch my numbers and keep sugars/carbs to a minimum for more than fear of diabetes. It's the test driven medical world today where the doctors are trained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,983,482 times
Quote:
I really would like to believe that. Yes, I really would........

My faith in doctors in general has been battered and bruised by greedy test happy "doctors" for years with results only when huge sums of money has been paid out if then.
My gosh. Doctors can't fake diabetes for you. If your blood sugar is high, that is what says you have diabetes. You can test your own blood sugar at home and see if you have high blood sugar. Nobody, not you, and not your doctor, can fake diabetes. Either you have it or you don't. Your own blood is the test.

Medicare pays for my glucometer test strips, which are cheap, and my glucometer cost a couple of bucks. My metformin costs a couple of bucks and Medicare also pays for that. I can guarantee you, no doctor is making bucks off my diabetes.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:49 PM

765 posts, read 474,521 times
Me too OP, i ate nothing but carbs my entire life, but was diagnosed 4 years ago with type 2.... my A1C was 13.2 and now I'm 6.1..... i was 5.3 in January, but i've been struggling again.... In January i had crazy low blood glucose levels and I don't manifest with fainting, feeling sick .... so i was taken off all diabetes drugs and told go ahead and try eating normally. All it took was one piece of Dave's Killer Bread..............and it was like I was an alcoholic taking that first drink after years of sobriety.

worse yet, i do not exercise, my mantra is NAMASTE........................................... ...........................ON THE COUCH!!!!!!

I just can't self motivate, so i lost all my weight with no carbs, meaning no bread, no rice, no potatoes and no pasta these past 4 years..... oh there were one or 2 day backslides (dontcha hate the day after a holiday and all that chocolate gets marked down? i can polish off that whole bag of Lindt chocolate truffles in almost one sitting, oh me the champion of chocaholicism.

You can beat it, in January I had a completely normal A1C, and was declared not cured, but normal..... now i just have to get back to basics and overcome this bread addiction and i'll be back down to 5.3 or better by the end of the summer

You can do it OP!!!! I know you can!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!

oh .... and p.s. don't be too hard on yourself, like me, somewhere back back back someone in your family might have had diabetes 2.... for me it was my grandmother and once you have that genetic snafu, you never knew when the snafu will morph into a bug-a-boo

Old 05-06-2018, 01:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,236,029 times
Quote:
I have no proof of what I'm about to say but I've strongly suspected for a long time that T2 diabetes is a cash cow for most in the medical field from your doctor to the undertaker. A look at people that have T2 yearly income might tell the tale of if they get targeted for the problem.
Moderator cut: edited out rude, sarcastic comments

Lastly there is the little matter of literally HUNDREDS of studies look at socioeconomic status and Type II Diabetes and wouldn't you know it....EVERY SINGLE ONE shows the exact OPPOSITE of what "you strongly suspected but can't prove"....that is Type II diabetes is much more prevalent in LOWER socioeconomic groups..

"Advanced education and increasing income were both inversely associated with incident diabetes even in this relatively well-educated cohort. This relationship was largely explained by behavioral factors, particularly body mass index."
Socioeconomic Status and Incident Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Data from the Women's Health Study

"CONCLUSION These data confirm an inverse association between socioeconomic status and the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in the middle years of life. This finding suggests that exposure to factors that are implicated in the causation of diabetes is more common in deprived areas."
Diabetes prevalence and socioeconomic status: a population based study showing increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in deprived areas | Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health

"In this representative sample of the older English population, various indicators of low socioeconomic status across the lifecourse were related to an increased risk of later diabetes."
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep24780

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-06-2018 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 11:05 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, my parents and all the family ate mega sugars/carbs and I don't ever recall diabetes in the families. Maybe they had T2 and didn't know. Dad drank alcohol all his life too, died at close to 96.
Yes, I"m astonished that some people can indulge their "sweet tooth" their entire lives, and not be fazed.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Moderator cut: edited out rude, sarcastic comments

Lastly there is the little matter of literally HUNDREDS of studies look at socioeconomic status and Type II Diabetes and wouldn't you know it....EVERY SINGLE ONE shows the exact OPPOSITE of what "you strongly suspected but can't prove"....that is Type II diabetes is much more prevalent in LOWER socioeconomic groups..

"Advanced education and increasing income were both inversely associated with incident diabetes even in this relatively well-educated cohort. This relationship was largely explained by behavioral factors, particularly body mass index."
Socioeconomic Status and Incident Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Data from the Women's Health Study

"CONCLUSION These data confirm an inverse association between socioeconomic status and the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in the middle years of life. This finding suggests that exposure to factors that are implicated in the causation of diabetes is more common in deprived areas."
Diabetes prevalence and socioeconomic status: a population based study showing increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in deprived areas | Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health

"In this representative sample of the older English population, various indicators of low socioeconomic status across the lifecourse were related to an increased risk of later diabetes."
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep24780
This is not news, that a higher rate of diabetes is prevalent in lower socio-economic groups. However, there's more to the picture. Lower socio-economic status in the US tends to pertain more to high-risk (of diabetes) populations than to the dominant ethnic group. Those populations, due to their lower education and earning power, tend to practice the poor nutrition that's conducive to diabetes, but they're predisposed to diabetes, anyway.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:51 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,062,442 times
LOL... I read the thread heading too fast and thought it said "Cat People Escape Diabetes"...

Could have been another for owning a cat! Might make an interesting study nonetheless...

Never mind, carry on, Iv'e got cats on the brain...

Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
I know you won't believe me and that's fine but maybe 1 or 2 of you hate type 2 diabetes enough to do your own research. The duodenal switch cures type 2 over 95% of the time. If you are heavy they do both parts of the surgery and also make your stomach smaller. If you are not heavy, they do the switch only. The cure has nothing to do with weight loss it's just a good side effect for most people. Most doctors in the US know nothing about this.

The surgery is not done often to cure type 2 in the US. It is pretty common in Europe(for more than 20 YEARS). My H had the surgery in Alcoy, Spain back in 2004. He was type 2 and his neuropathy and retinopathy kept getting worse even though his A1C was normal. He saw his future as being blind in a wheelchair. He woke up no longer diabetic. He could eat as he pleased and never needed any more diabetic meds. The retinopathy resolved but the nerve damage in his feet was permanent. He wished he had done it sooner. It would have saved his feet.

Diabetes is a billions of dollars disease in the US. A cash cow that gets bigger every day! They are happy to set you up on the lifelong meds train even when there are overwhelming odds saying it can be cured with 1 surgery.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:20 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,427,814 times
Unless I somehow missed it, I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned exercise. But it is a critical and central factor in preventing T2 diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.

People seem entirely focused on diet. However, exercise helps the body deal with whatever is put into it. Yes diet does matter, but exercise matters a lot also.

High carbohydrate processed food diets cause too much energy to be shoved into cells (among other harmful things). The cells begin to resist insulin, and then you get metabolic syndrome, leading to T2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.

But if the muscles are using a lot of that energy, even if it's from junk food, less harm will be done.

Ideally, of course, you should avoid junk food and make sure to exercise.

There does not seem to be nearly enough awareness of this. Medical research says exercise is good, but usually doesn't say why, and people tend to ignore it. They think exercise is just for losing weight, but then you see research saying exercise won't help with losing weight.

So all that confuses everyone. Exercise is not just for losing weight. It is for regulating the entire metabolic system.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:37 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Exercise is one of the first things they tell you about to help regulate insulin/blood sugar.

It's at the top of the list. Apparently your "they" and my "they" are different. I don't know one doctor who would not cover exercise.

You may want to change doctors.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes