Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 03:44 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,887,814 times

Advertisements

no matter what they consume. I thought I asked this before but don't find my post where I thought I had.

I ate so much sugars/carbs all my life before I started looking and watching B.S. and A1C labs and now have cut so much out as far as the sugars. Wondering why issues didn't crop up in my life years ago? Comments please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,743,406 times
Just because someone may eat a lot of sweets/sugar it does not mean they are necessarily going to get T2 diabetes or that it will specifically cause diabetes. There are other factors involved. Some people are predisposed to diabetes (hereditary) and some people get it due to their diet and/or weight issues. So, if eating a lot of sweets causes one to put on excess weight then they surely could develop diabetes due to the weight issues. But one could get diabetes due to excess weight without ever eating many sweets at all.

T1 diabetes on the other hand is not caused by anything to do with what one eats or their weight at all. T1 is an autoimmune condition.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:50 PM

6,829 posts, read 3,247,391 times
After I quit drinking, my T2 diabetes magically went away. Drinking was killing me, this is much better!

Old 04-28-2018, 07:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,004,388 times
It isn't that simple. There are other aspects to consider.

For example, my husband has gobbled up carbs every day of his life, yet he doesn't have diabetes...there is no diabetes in his family. There are many obese people who never become type 2 diabetics. There are thin people, like me, who do become type 2 diabetics. It's not all diet.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:57 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,887,814 times
Yes, my parents and all the family ate mega sugars/carbs and I don't ever recall diabetes in the families. Maybe they had T2 and didn't know. Dad drank alcohol all his life too, died at close to 96.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:47 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,406,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
no matter what they consume. I thought I asked this before but don't find my post where I thought I had.

I ate so much sugars/carbs all my life before I started looking and watching B.S. and A1C labs and now have cut so much out as far as the sugars. Wondering why issues didn't crop up in my life years ago? Comments please.
In those cases, I would say your genes played a huge/significant role. Basically, whatever amount of sugar/starches you consumed your body was able to keep your blood/sugar level in check or your body was just doing what it was supposed to do. When your body doesn't do what it's supposed to do, that's when the problemos occur.

Just think about correlation and causation, is every single skinny person free from getting Type II diabetes, nope, is every single overweight person going to get Type II diabetes, nope. Does your chances significantly increase in getting Type II diabetes if you're overweight, yes, but it's not an absolute. Obviously, one would think that the human body wasn't made to be 200, 225, 250, 275, 300+ pounds, depending on your height of course!

Right now there's an estimated 19,000-20,000 genes in the human genome, scientists are still trying to figure out what they all do and how they interact/influence with one another. It will probably take many generations if ever to figure it all out.

Think about it this way, the human body is a very complex, yet elegant system/organism, with many mysteries still waiting to be discovered!

Last edited by cjseliga; 04-29-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 06:52 AM

15,234 posts, read 10,418,135 times
I have diabetes on both sides of the family and my doctor nicely told me years ago that it wasn't a matter of IF I got diabetes as much as when. Despite losing 20 pounds and having a good BMI, I am now pre-diabetic. My A1C has actually risen slightly since losing the weight after gallbladder surgery. I eat little to no sugar except what's found naturally in fruit and rarely put a carb in my mouth so it's definitely genetic to a certain point. I also have higher than normal cholesterol and my blood pressure at last visit was 140/100. Now it's not quite that high when I take it at home but HBP also runs in my family.

I know a guy who is 360 pounds, eats nothing but garbage every day and he has no problem with blood pressure or diabetes.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:40 PM

48,707 posts, read 35,171,465 times
I never ate a lot of sweets growing up, I eat healthy carbs, and I am heading towards Type 2. I am even more careful of what I eat now because of it, but even with fasting my blood sugar is too high.

Sometimes you just get stuff for no known reason. /shrug
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 PM

910 posts, read 2,300,523 times
Carbs are really not the reason for Diabetes 2, it's the fats, there are quite a few people getting cured of it by following a whole foods plant based diet. Here's a link for info about it: It

Old 05-03-2018, 11:30 AM

3,211 posts, read 3,004,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Carbs are really not the reason for Diabetes 2, it's the fats, there are quite a few people getting cured of it by following a whole foods plant based diet. Here's a link for info about it: It
As usual, I spout off that I've been vegetarian all my life, with very little dairy, and yet I have type 2.

No, I'm not obese.

My point being, using my freak-of-nature self as an example, (but I'm not the only one) I don't think carbs or fats is the absolute answer. There is more to diabetes than diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes