Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:40 PM

71 posts, read 53,468 times

Advertisements

As a Type 2 diabetic, I've been doing research on how to control my blood sugar. I decided to go low-carb a few years ago and was amazed at my initial results--dramatic lowering of cholesterol, blood sugar (A1C went from 6.7 to 4.8), and weight. I remained strict, added exercise, and then stalled. I got stricter. Then the weight started coming back. I tried intermittent fasting and more exercise. I finally cratered--crushing fatigue, aches, hair fell out. When I got tests done, my cholesterol had shot up to higher than it was before I started low carb, blood sugar was up (A1C 5.7), and I gained back half the weight I'd lost. Also discovered I had gut issues (malabsorption), adrenal fatigue (low cortisol), and thyroid issues. Some of the research I'm doing supports the theory that hypothyroidism can impact blood sugar, cholesterol, weight gain, and fatigue, as can whacky cortisol levels.

I don't doubt that genetics can play a role in diabetes. But I also believe there can be other factors. I'm working on fixing my gut and then will address the thyroid to see whether it has any impact on my blood sugar, cholesterol, and other symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 12:55 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
I'm beginning to think many love to tell people they have diabetes. Talking with a member on another group she is very close to it and then goes on say all her family has it so it's a "given"..grrrr is what I say.

I posted some thoughts about foods etc and she came back and said she wouldn't know what to eat if she didn't eat:

Breads, cereals, pasta, crackers .......... and wouldn't know about eating anything else.

I swear so many come across like they know nothing how to control this disease and NOT get it.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:52 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm beginning to think many love to tell people they have diabetes. Talking with a member on another group she is very close to it and then goes on say all her family has it so it's a "given"..grrrr is what I say.

I posted some thoughts about foods etc and she came back and said she wouldn't know what to eat if she didn't eat:

Breads, cereals, pasta, crackers .......... and wouldn't know about eating anything else.

I swear so many come across like they know nothing how to control this disease and NOT get it.
More like they don't want to be bothered doing anything about it. A lot of people are pretty good and they will take their doctor's suggestions. But to just say that it's a "given" seems ridiculous. A lot of people develop it late in life but a lot of people seem to be getting it at a really young age. A change from few people having type 2 until old age to seemingly "everybody" having type 2 when they're still young, signals bad eating habits.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
More like they don't want to be bothered doing anything about it. A lot of people are pretty good and they will take their doctor's suggestions. But to just say that it's a "given" seems ridiculous. A lot of people develop it late in life but a lot of people seem to be getting it at a really young age. A change from few people having type 2 until old age to seemingly "everybody" having type 2 when they're still young, signals bad eating habits.
Talking more to the lady, who lives in upstate NY and has access to many veggies/fruits good meats etc, so sounds like she's just lazy or very depressed. And not motivated to help herself. Take the drugs and it's ok as some seem to live with that way and diabetes.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,486,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Talking more to the lady, who lives in upstate NY and has access to many veggies/fruits good meats etc, so sounds like she's just lazy or very depressed. And not motivated to help herself. Take the drugs and it's ok as some seem to live with that way and diabetes.
Some people will not act until they start to see real physical symptoms such as pain and numbness in the feet, kidney and vision problems. That may be too late for some. Heck, I know of people that never try to change anything, even after having amputations.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Some people will not act until they start to see real physical symptoms such as pain and numbness in the feet, kidney and vision problems. That may be too late for some. Heck, I know of people that never try to change anything, even after having amputations.
A couple of years ago, my neighbor told me he lost his 32 year old cousin to diabetes, after his cousin lost a foot and a leg and kidneys to complications.

Absolutely refused to stop drinking Pepsi. Drank 2-3 liters a day.

Just went to get a steroid shot for trigger finger, and she told me runs into people who never take their BG measures.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 PM

19,064 posts, read 27,635,592 times
I work with diabetics professionally.
64% of our patient population is diabetics. Amputations included.
I encountered THREE patients that had DM stricken off their record.
One had transplant that caught.

Two did it with rigorous diet and exercise.
When they recommend exercise, it is not 15 minute brisk walk. It is an hour a day of sweating out in the gym. Every day. Or, heavy physical labor day long.
It is not sweets to mind of. It is carbs to be afraid of and carbs are way much more present in your diet than you think. Start with quitting ALL carbs cold. No, you will NOT run out of energy. You WILL have few weeks of adjustment period, sure. But thereafter, you'll be more energized than before. You'd rather eat meat and lard, than candy or bread. Or potatoes. Or rice. Or peanuts. Or drink anything canned. Or, eat anything pre packaged for you. It makes ne sick to watch "diabetic menu" they serve at the hospital I attend patient at. Half of it is foods they should not even be looking at, least to say - eating.
Shame. Bell rings. Shame. Bell rings. Shame....

Old 11-11-2018, 12:43 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times
I am T2 and insulin dependent. I was diagnosed at age 50. Typical T2 onset is later in life.

It's a misconception that T2 is caused by high sugar in the blood/diet. T2 is actually a hormonal imbalance. If you do not act to promote hormonal health for a very long time then you are at risk of developing diabetes. Of course many of us are born with genetic alleles that precurse diabetes.

Diabetics must control their sugary intake but there is nothing bad about a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of tea or coffee. Personally I don't use anything but Splenda. I do treat myself to something sweet frequently and in moderation with very little impact on my BG.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:31 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I never ate a lot of sweets growing up, I eat healthy carbs, and I am heading towards Type 2. I am even more careful of what I eat now because of it, but even with fasting my blood sugar is too high.

Sometimes you just get stuff for no known reason. /shrug
If fasting BG is high (for me that is 8 mmol L) diet alone will not control BG. Add in some regular exercise even just simply walking around the block. The disease is progressive so sooner or later you will need medication or medication and insulin. Once you get to know your body and sugar you will understand what your own normal range is. Every body is different. Understand that 2 mmol L is death.
It has taken years for me to get proper control and a sense of accomplishment.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:46 PM

I've known about this aid for many yrs and have taken it off and on and am now back on it. There is plenty of info to check it out.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ium-picolinate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes