Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:29 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times

Advertisements

The Captain of the Titanic could say the same thing....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:44 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,753,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That hasn't been my experience with doctors and I'm thin.... and pre-diabetic.

My GP is all over me about diet and exercise.
I just find that amazing. You're thin. You eat healthy. You say you exercise vigorously.

Why in the world would your GP mention it, let alone be all over you about it?

It would be like a doctor wasting precious appointment time lecturing me on smoking, which I don't do.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:25 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I just find that amazing. You're thin. You eat healthy. You say you exercise vigorously.

Why in the world would your GP mention it, let alone be all over you about it?

It would be like a doctor wasting precious appointment time lecturing me on smoking, which I don't do.
Because she doesn't want me to become diabetic, and each appt. I am pre-diabetic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-12-2018, 06:26 PM

14,962 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:
Exercise is one of the first things they tell you about to help regulate insulin/blood sugar.

It's at the top of the list. Apparently your "they" and my "they" are different. I don't know one doctor who would not cover exercise.

You may want to change doctors.
And I don't think I ever went to a doctor that didn't emphasize exercise, for overall health.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
True...in the U.S. you have to lose a couple of toes or possibly a foot and begin to go blind, before doctors will consider you "qualified" for any kind of bariatric surgery. This is because treatment in the U.S. is not focused on curing or healing patients, but rather is focused on risk management and minimizing any medical liability for doctors...the goal is for doctors to do as little as possible while still being able to submit the reimbursement request to the insurance for the little bit of work they did do...and so people just continue to get sicker and sicker with the same results as decades past.

Its been proven that the duodenal switch is the most effective at curing type 2 diabetes with the fewest side effects, and has even been recommended by some organizations as an early therapy for overweight type 2 diabetics in order to rapidly stabilize both blood sugar and insulin response. But good luck getting a U.S. doctor to prescribe it. Theyre still stuck in they 80's advising patients to "control" their diabetes with medicine and exercise; that is until they cant "control" their diabetes anymore after it has progressed to a point of no return. But by then, the risk of recovering from surgery will outweigh the rewards, as the surgery tends to be less effective the further the diabetes has progressed. But then again, why prescribe something that will actually fix the problem at its source, when they can just keep milking patients under the guise of "controlling" their degenerative disease.
This is not my experience based on several friends who got weight loss surgery. One was actually was not even obese but got it done. I also had a guy who was obese, nearing 300 lbs for sure, late 50s and got weight loss surgery in 2017. I think the body of knowledge has gotten so much better that physicians are more confident.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:26 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
I found that when I went to doctors who weren't from the USA, they were better about things like this. My last doctor was from Spain. What a doctor! Pleasant, listened to you, was open minded, made suggestions.

A few years ago my blood sugar started to get high and he told me to cut out carbs. Back then, I didn't even know that. I thought it was all about sugar and I was hardly eating any sugar. He even mentioned potatoes. I was eating potatoes almost every night. Beyond that, this doctor was an expert on diet. Doctors from India were good too.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:34 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
I'm one of those weird cases with no family history, no obesity (I'm 5'6", female, weigh 121 lbs.) and I do over an hour of cardio every day but my numbers aren't great. BS typically runs a little over 100 and my last a1c was 5.7. Previous was 5.9 but I've tried to cut back more on refined sugar and have cut out most pasta, potatoes, white rice and white bread and substituted more "slow carbs"- quinoa, bulghur, etc. My docs aren't all that excited about it but I am and I don't want to end up with full-blown diabetes. Every once in awhile I indulge in a piece of bakery cake with a ton of frosting (give me a corner piece, please!) and savor every molecule of fat and carbs. I don't want to get to the point that I have to give that up or, heaven forbid, stop drinking good scotch.

To answer the OP, I'm also on a board for people who retired early and many have reported being able to stop meds for diabetes with their doctors' approval after losing weight, getting healthier and starting a regular exercise program. I'm living proof that it's partly some mysterious body chemistry thing, too, but I'm still trying to do what I can to control it.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:00 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,058,567 times
Quote:
The Captain of the Titanic could say the same thing....

Really? The Captain of the Titanic did a good job. it was his employees and ship designers that failed him and the passengers.

So it is with doctors. Since they are humans too errors that cost lives are all to common. People need to be involved in their care well beyond blindly trusting every thing , and words, that any doctors tell their patients.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:55 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
I believe my Dad was diabetic, undiagnosed. His brother was. My mother was prediabetic for years. I am diabetic. Both sisters are edging towards diabetes.

Genes suck.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:20 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,777,474 times
To the OP, back then we didn’t have easy access to a lot of food. If you watch any old videos of the 60s or 70s, people were in general very thin comparing to people on TV today.

But my thought is some people have genetics disposition toward diabetes and some have less, and there’s the in between. So for the in between people, diet and exercise do help.
My BIL is no longer type 2 diabetes. He was a vegetarian, but mostly ate a lot of fried potatoes and sweet to compensate for a meatless diet. But once diagnosed as type 2 diabetic, he added turkey meat back to his diet and he is no longer have to take medicine. But I think he still has to monitor his diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes