Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:32 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

I'm now doing blood sugar checks with a meter my doctor gave to me. This new meter tested fine using Test Solution. Doctor told me my blood sugar tested at 302!
Questions are (for Type 2 Diabetes):
What part of the body is most common for doing the checks.....finger, forearm, shoulder or thigh? The reading I got from doing a thigh, then a finger (few was minutes later) was 10 digits higher for my finger.
When to test? First thing in morning, before breakfast? After breakfast, right before lunch and then right before dinner? Or, 2 hours after each meal? Due to the cost of strips, I read that a person can test either two or three times a week......daily is not necessary?
Addition info about me: I am keeping a record of my test result, time taken, area of body blood drawn and what I have eaten (as much as I can remember). Doctor gave me Metiformin to take 2 times a day and a Cholesterol med, plus I'm also taking 1 Fish Oil daily. Am definitely changing my diet and looking at what's in food before wife/I buy it. Can not take a diabetic class that my doctor suggested.....insurance does not cover either strips or the class! Actually, if you can believe this, a diabetic class here cost $188 for a 3 hr class!
So, anyone who is a diabetic or knows someone who is, any info would be VERY APPRECIATED!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 03:53 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Your doctor should be telling you where and when to test. Usually at LEAST first thing in the morning before eating. But you really need to talk to your doctor.

And you should find the funds to take the class. It could save your life. Cut back on holiday gifts. People will understand.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:01 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I would use your finger, generally speaking. These finger stick tests are not going to be as accurate as a blood draw in a lab, but the doc wants a good idea of where you're at. And, first thing in the morning, before food or drink would be the best time to test. Ask your doctor does he want a before dinner reading and/or bedtime one done, too? Chart the results on a record, too.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:32 PM

My doctor did NOT tell me anything about "where" to test and "when" and it didn't cross my mind to ask.....BUT I am stopping by his office next week to ask his nurse to ask him about this. Why can't we afford the class? The insurance came from my wife's job, but she was laid off two weeks ago and we only have insurance until the mid of next month (Dec). Also, we are getting things ready to move out of the State, so, with these two things, money is tight! Reason I done this Thread is to get some info from others who are diabetic or know diabetics......thought that was a good idea!
There is plenty of info on the Internet, without taking a class. We have already been told by a couple of diabetics that the class isn't worth $188!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Your doctor should be telling you where and when to test. Usually at LEAST first thing in the morning before eating. But you really need to talk to your doctor.

And you should find the funds to take the class. It could save your life. Cut back on holiday gifts. People will understand.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:37 PM

327 posts, read 968,227 times
My husband has diabetes. He pricks his finger for his reading every morning before eating. Your library should have some good diabetic cookbooks. His diabetes is under control. He lost 30 lbs., exercises daily and has eliminated sugar and high carbs from his diet. Of course, he takes his meds daily too.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 AM

3 posts, read 12,119 times
You will have the most accurate test on your finger. I will ask my mom about test strips and all, she gets for free ALL THE TIME online and it's amazing. The most expensive part is the test strips but I will definately get back to you with the information

Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Sorry you're going through this.
I've heard different opinions on the classes.

Pretty sure my dad never went to one, he was getting the Diabetes magazine and going online

Diabetes.org - Type 2 Diabetes

Mayo clinic see Treatments and drugs
Quote:
Monitoring your blood sugar
Depending on your treatment plan, you may check and record your blood sugar level once a day or several times a week. Careful monitoring is the only way to make sure that your blood sugar level remains within your target range.

I think what you need to do is establish your levels first, then try to control it by diet. My dad was able to do that, never used insulin.

My dad made a database, you're welcome to it, send me a DM with your email address, I will send it to you.

google search

Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Done a "finger check" of blood sugar yesterday AM before breakfast and reading was 278. Did "finger check" this AM after breakfast 2 biscuits/gravy and coffee w/little cream and 3 packets of sugar substitute, and reading was 279. Done another solution test on the meter today and it read 91. Test reading is suppose to be between 83 and 125, so meter is ok......right??
Yesterday done all checks on fingers and all before meals. Today, doing all checks on fingers and 2 hrs after meals. Will compare today with yesterday. Read that readings taken 2 hrs after meals can be 30 numbers higher than before meals.
My meter info says that I can test in the following locations: forearm, upper arm, thigh and finger. But, most Internet diabetic sites say finger with no mention of any other area. Why is this?
Getting "even readings" is very hard to do, just as "when to test for best readings" and what foods to eat to get good readings. Also read that diabetes doesn't necessarly happen from poor eating, but also from quanitity food eaten. Your opinion???

Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
Make sure your testing 2 hours after eating your meals. I have to test 5 times a day. Yes, I use my fingers and they are very sore, let me tell you! I can't say why they tell everyone to test in the fingers...

Fasting - that's when you test first thing in the Am. It should be in the normal range, as you didn't eat for hours...

Good Readings are between 80 - 120

It depends on what you eat - if you're eating a lot of carbs your sugar levels will increase. Snacking in between meals helps as well.

Portions are important too. I notice when I cut my portions, my readings tend to be in the good range. Eat A lot of protein!!!!!

I was just in the hospital for a few days and they tested my sugar.
I had readings in the 300's....and as low as 60....

---

I know I can't drink coffee with Cream...The cream has a lot of carbs in it. You have to watch that, plus the Bisquits.....

Search the internet for diet plans, etc. There's a wealth of information out there.

I learned a lot from a dietician....

Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
they sure didn't do much for me, but. The american diabetes association had some info. Also go onto the site of your meter and test strips. They should have good infor.
Mine is Accucheck. Been a customer for years. Great people,products and they will back all with gaurantees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes