Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 AM

15 posts, read 21,737 times

Advertisements

How about jogging? I jog 3k for about 3 times a week. so far it's been helpful in trimming off some of those pounds. i just started a month ago so there isn't much significance yet, but it does a lot for my psychological well being. i feel good. if you can try walking for a start, then that would be great. consult your doctor first so you'd know your limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Definitely get checked out by your doctor first.

As far as exercise goes, I would suggest starting off with something very low impact to keep the stress off of your joints - a water aerobics class for beginners, stationary bike etc.

You are smart to get this weight off while you're still so young.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM

16 posts, read 34,208 times
Hi! Thanks for that suggestion. I've been reading a lot about the benefits of jogging and walking.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Definitely get checked out by your doctor first.

As far as exercise goes, I would suggest starting off with something very low impact to keep the stress off of your joints - a water aerobics class for beginners, stationary bike etc.

You are smart to get this weight off while you're still so young.

Thanks! yeah, i guess it's about time. I'll look into those suggestions.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel0365 View Post
Thanks for your reply. it's great to know that you're now losing weight. i would love to know any of the techniques you find most effective. thank you so much!
My most effective techniques, no matter which diet plan you use, are food tracking, and daily weighing. For me, I need to see my weight on a daily basis to keep me motivated. I don't worry about small fluctuations; my weight can change by a pound a day in either direction. I plot my weight on a chart, and watch it drop over time. This way, I can see the patterns and trends.

Food tracking, when combined with the daily weigh-ins, can help you to see what effects some foods may have on your weight. For instance, I can eat cheese on my eating plan (low carb), but if I eat too much cheese two days in a row, regardless of my total calories or carbs for the day, my weight stalls. If I don't drink enough water, same thing.

For me, exercise must be very light, as I have a hip mobility problem. I can swim and I can do certain calisthenics, but no real aerobic exercise. Your doctor will likely recommend swimming for you at first, and maybe short walks, depending on results of exam and testing.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 AM

Hi! yes, motivation is the one of the key factors in successfully losing weight, isn't it? When I think about dieting or exercising, i feel so determined, but when I'm actually doing it, i lose my focus. it's more difficult than I imagined. well, like everything. but seeing the comments on this thread really pushes me. thank you!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 AM

15 posts, read 21,737 times
Quote:
Hi! Thanks for that suggestion. I've been reading a lot about the benefits of jogging and walking.

Hello there! that's good!..I'd love to know how you're progressing with losing weight. you can do it!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia39 View Post
How about jogging? I jog 3k for about 3 times a week. so far it's been helpful in trimming off some of those pounds. i just started a month ago so there isn't much significance yet, but it does a lot for my psychological well being. i feel good. if you can try walking for a start, then that would be great. consult your doctor first so you'd know your limits.
Quote:
At 320lbs, I would have to imagine jogging would hurt like a sumbitch, and it would probably destroy what's left of your knees which are already taking a beating just carrying you around. Until you've already lost quite a bit of weight, you're much better off biking instead and/or swimming if you have access to a pool. Alternatively, jogging on a treadmill isn't as bad for you because the tredmill floor will flex and absorb some of the shock. But just going out and jogging on the street/sidewalk/etc.... I wouldn't do it at your weight unless you want to hasten the arrival of the day you'll need knee surgery.

Also, consider doing a severely carb-restricted diet for six weeks or so. That will really help jump-start the weight loss process. But it's not a good long-term weight loss method (and not a good way to get a balanced diet either), so after six weeks move to a more balanced diet along the lines of Weight Watchers.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:20 AM

7 posts, read 23,576 times
A lot of varied suggestions to lose weight here. thanks for the thread! I've been looking for ways to lose weight that fit my busy schedule.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
At 320lbs, I would have to imagine jogging would hurt like a sumbitch, and it would probably destroy what's left of your knees which are already taking a beating just carrying you around. Until you've already lost quite a bit of weight, you're much better off biking instead and/or swimming if you have access to a pool. Alternatively, jogging on a treadmill isn't as bad for you because the tredmill floor will flex and absorb some of the shock. But just going out and jogging on the street/sidewalk/etc.... I wouldn't do it at your weight unless you want to hasten the arrival of the day you'll need knee surgery.

Also, consider doing a severely carb-restricted diet for six weeks or so. That will really help jump-start the weight loss process. But it's not a good long-term weight loss method (and not a good way to get a balanced diet either), so after six weeks move to a more balanced diet along the lines of Weight Watchers.

yes, thank you for this post. i've been reading a lot about losing weight. swimming is probably the easiest i can do for now. and also much control for what i eat. i love the thought of jogging in the mornings. i hope i can lose weight to start my jogs soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss