Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times

Advertisements

My suggestion: Cut back on carbs big time, drink lots of water, start off with a exercise plan that slowly builds your endurance to activity. I would recommend yoga or pilates, then walk whether it's in your neighborhood or around a track. I decided to lose weight starting last week and just doing these small steps has made me lose 5lbs. Swimming is also good for your muscles. Don't start any of these things to fast or you will lose interest and stop them too soon. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I would say don't put yourself on a diet. Diets don't work. But eat healthy and very clean. You may have to start off slow, but give up fast foods, sodas, and substitute those foods with oatmeal, spinach, lean turkey, iced tea, diet sodas, and limit your sweets to once a week or have a cheat day once a week to reward yourself for really eating clean.

Find an exercise program that WORKS FOR YOU, and that you will stick too without getting burned out. I work out about 4-5 times a week, and I have lost 40 pounds, and have kept it off. I am 43 years old and people tell me from looking at my profile pix on here, that I don't look a day over 35.
I agree with all of this aside from the diet sodas part.

Stay away from sodas - quit cold turkey now. Yes, do reward yourself, say... every Saturday or Sunday with a treat that's of realistic proportion. Make it a lifestyle.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 AM

15 posts, read 23,723 times
Well,I don't think lose weight is easy! If you want to lose weight safely and healthy, I suggest that you should consult to expert for health advice.Do more exercise,such as aerobics, drink more water ,eat less food or take some traditional chinese medicines,it's not so harmful for the body. If you insist,I believe you can success.
Best wishes.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:49 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
The slower you lose weight the better--shoot for about two pounds per week, eating sensibly and adding exercise most days of the week. If you feel hungry, try adding in foods with more fiber/volume in your diet (think Apples, Popcorn). If you are not used to exercise, start with 1/2 hour three-five days/week and work your way up.
Lose weight quickly and the weight comes back quickly. It also can be hard on your body and your heart to lose weight quickly. Generally, you will lose more muscle if you lose quickly(which is what you want to keep to maintain a metabolism that will keep weight off) . Slow and steady wins the race!
excellent post...Plus learn to say NO!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,372 times
Check with your Doctor about a recommendation for a Protein Sparing Modified Diet Clinic which is medically supervised and has an 85% success rate.

I have been on it for 15 days and I have lost 12 and a half pounds.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,591 times
I was always skinny until I got pregnant. Then I gained 55 lbs. And that was very hard to lose. I had a heck of a time getting it off. 3 years of trying to get it off. So I can imagine your journey will be harder. What worked for me was this: I started slow, by walking at least 30 mins a day. Change some of the foods I ate, like ground turkey breast instead of ground beef. Wheat bread instead of white. No soda of any kind. But did not deprive myself of everything at once. Gave myself a "cheat" day once a month. I cannot give up chocolate, so I don't. I have it once a week.
Each time I lost some weight and then plateaued, I would step it up. From 30 mins to 1 hour. Then from 3 days a week, to 5. Now I do an hour a day, 5 days a week.
I started with walking, and now I do P90X workouts. I do it to keep myself in shape.
My advice is to never give up. Listen to your own body, and don't over do it, but do push yourself. Make a goal. For example, I will tell myself tomorrow I am going to running for an hour tomorrow. I plan a day ahead, so I know what I have to do. It keeps me focused on what I have to do that day. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 PM

15 posts, read 23,723 times
Well ,losing weight isn't easy any way! In my opinion,the best way to lose weight is do more exercise ,drink more water and eat less food,If necessary, you could take some pills about lose weight,such as Slimming Capsules.i've been eating healthy and going to the gym since around march and i've lost 25 pounds after 3 months ! the trick is lots of snacking on fruits , veggies and some traditional chinese medicine.If you want to know more information about lose weight please contact me at tcmdiscoveryw214@yahoo.com
Best wishes.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 7,783 times
A protein diet does wonder. (like south beach or the low carb) I lost weight way fast (like 20 pounds in a month and didnt do anythign else) but i just cant stick to it.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel0365 View Post
hello! thank you so much for your suggestion. i haven't been drinking sodas recently. its hard at times. giving up sugary foods and drinks can be tough. but as they say, no pain, no gain. thank you!
Actually, do the math, and it'll become easy.

Look at a 20 oz coke... check the calories...

Next, look at a tall glass of water and a big piece of grilled chicken.

Which is going to keep you full longer... be more fulfilling? Choices get real easy when you start doing those comparisons. My wife did the weight watcher points and I sort of mimiked her... the analyst in me was always looking at the best, most rewarding, way to consume 4 points.

As for advice, at your weight, you likely won't even have to try to lose weight to do it. In the morning, park your car at the back of the lot and walk all the way across it. Over lunch, take a walk around the building. Switch from regular soda to diet, from whole or 2% milk to skim, get a salad with fat free french and a grilled chicken sandwich at Wendys instead of the Baconator. Pounds will drop, at least initially... as you get closer to an ideal weight you'll have to make additional lifestyle concessions... but starting from where you are, is very easy.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM

10 posts, read 14,789 times
find calorie/fitness calculator on the net, enter all your stats and it will tell you how many calories you need a day to maintain, take off 300-400cal off that number and thats how much you need to lose.
dont try to lose more than 1-2lbs a week - its not healthy to lose more.
eat 5-6 small meals a day (eat every 2-3 hours)
5-8 servings of fruit and veggies a day
8 glasses of water
have complex carbs for breakfast - they give you energy
have lean meat (protein) for dinner - repairs muscle
cardio exercise 4-6 times a week for 30-50min, light weight training
dont consume foods that are made of white flour (white bread, cakes, past etc.), sugar loaded foods (cookies, icecream, candy etc) and nothing fried - no junk food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss