Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times

Advertisements

Start walking, jogging is tough on the knees. I also got really heavy as a result of a desk job and some medications. Starty eating small 'meals' 5 to 6 times a day, and trade white flour foods for whole wheat (pasta/rice). Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables to 8-10 servings a day, cut back on the carbs. Eat fish and chicken rather than red meat.

I have lost 10% body weight by doing this, and am still working on it....and this is really w/o any exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 AM

16 posts, read 34,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Start walking, jogging is tough on the knees. I also got really heavy as a result of a desk job and some medications. Starty eating small 'meals' 5 to 6 times a day, and trade white flour foods for whole wheat (pasta/rice). Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables to 8-10 servings a day, cut back on the carbs. Eat fish and chicken rather than red meat.

I have lost 10% body weight by doing this, and am still working on it....and this is really w/o any exercise.

Thank you for your advice! I'm taking it slowly to prevent injuries, just like the other suggestions I got here. Yes, my 'mindless' eating has got to stop. So far, I've given up on drinking soda. Pretty tough, but it's okay. I need to think about the long term goals.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren03 View Post
A lot of varied suggestions to lose weight here. thanks for the thread! I've been looking for ways to lose weight that fit my busy schedule.

hi! guess we're on the same boat. when i was younger, i gave myself plenty of excuses to not work out or exercise. now that it's more life-threatening than ever, it really pressures me to have a lifestyle change. im still a big guy but this is my starting point, and im trying to lose the fats a day at a time.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 AM

15 posts, read 21,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren03 View Post
A lot of varied suggestions to lose weight here. thanks for the thread! I've been looking for ways to lose weight that fit my busy schedule.

Climbing the stairs instead of using the elevator can be a good exercise. there are a lot of simple ways to move around. walk to a nearby store instead of driving. or do a total clean up of your home once a week. that'll give your body much work!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 AM

7 posts, read 23,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel0365 View Post
hi! guess we're on the same boat. when i was younger, i gave myself plenty of excuses to not work out or exercise. now that it's more life-threatening than ever, it really pressures me to have a lifestyle change. im still a big guy but this is my starting point, and im trying to lose the fats a day at a time.

i find it really hard to squeeze it in. im running a business and several other jobs. its difficult to find the time, but i'll try to. good luck to us!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 AM

7 posts, read 23,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia39 View Post
Climbing the stairs instead of using the elevator can be a good exercise. there are a lot of simple ways to move around. walk to a nearby store instead of driving. or do a total clean up of your home once a week. that'll give your body much work!

great advice! yes, i can do these things. hopefully someday i can find the time to enroll at a gym or go swimming or jogging.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,030 times
good thread! i'll be learning good techniques to lose weight here. update us about the changes man!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison245 View Post
good thread! i'll be learning good techniques to lose weight here. update us about the changes man!
of course. sure thing! thanks!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Skip the "fast" plans, unless you want to ruin your health, and gain the weight back in two years.

I give you the same recommendation I gave another:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...l#post15188319

Old 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,384 times
Maybe it sounds too simple, but for me, I really had to be in the right state of mind to lose weight successfully. I've been overweight for 20 years, half of my life. Three months ago, I just reached a point where I had enough. I completely changed the way I eat, and started walking 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. (I needed to lose 90 pounds to be at a healthy weight, and as of this week, have lost 40 pounds.) The weight came off quickly the first month or so, but now has slowed down to about 2-3 pounds per week. I've increased walking to 45 minutes, 5 to 6 times per week.

Diets don't work. The key truly is to eat healthy foods and exercise more. And to realize that it has to be a life-long lifestyle change, not just a way to lose weight. Just my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss