Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:27 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,518,741 times

Advertisements

Being a long term diabetic who hasnt kept blood sugar levels normal for a long time its now time at 62yrs old to take it seriously and lose the excess weight and get everything under control or watch diabetes eat me alive..
Trouble is i seem to have an irrational addiction to food and even though i've given up items such as Bread,Pasta,Alcohol and i've been watching the calorie labels on foods i'm still eating too much and as a result i'm not losing any weight.
I started about 6 months ago at 245lbs and now for the last month reached a plateau of 230lbs, at 5'6" i should be in the 170lb range but if i cant stop eating i'm never going to get there.
Yes i do a 2 hour workout at the gymn 4 days a week.
Any help,tips or tricks would be appreciated

And heres me thinking giving up smoking was tough, piece of cake by comparison..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 03:41 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,022,390 times
Have you read through alot of the threads here that discuss this? There are alot of people with great suggestions on here. I suggest you study this forum, and come back with a specific plan in mind, and attack it from there.

Myself, the key is WHEN you eat, WHAT you eat, and how often. I eat a very large breakfast, (900-1000 calories), that has alot of meats, milk, starchy veggies, brown rice. I then have about 3-4 "snack" meals the rest of the day, consisting of a piece of fruit (usually apples/banannas). For dinner, I will eat a slice of lunchmeat turkey, and have about a half-glass of milk to settle my stomach.

Sounds like you already have a workout regiment down. Be sure to include a weightlifting program of some sort (resistance training), and cardio. Make sure you quit all the sodas, and artificial sweetners. Being that you are diabetic, you will want to watch your insulin levels closely with any diet plan you follow (but I am sure you are well aware of that). Good luck!

Ian

Old 11-14-2010, 04:03 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,083,647 times
South Beach Diet for you!!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 AM

99 posts, read 173,107 times
Jambo,

Have you researched the hCG diet? Read up on the protocol and the science behind it. I know many people who were able to go on it and reverse an array of health problems. I have also had success with it.

I feel your pain!

~AppleOrange

Old 11-14-2010, 09:07 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,518,741 times
The problem is not being at a loss for a diet its just sticking to it.
First 2 weeks of the south beach diet went well but into phase 2 i started backsliding and by week 4 i was over eating again.
Now i'm on a low Calorie,low carb diet that my gymn trainer drew up for me and after a couple of weeks i've added protein shakes to the mix,speaking of which its 11am and i just had a peach protein shake and all i can think of is eating more anything and everything..
As the last couple of months has been my first ever attempt at food control and weight loss i can see where many people may have problems sticking to a diet,its tough and very easy to fail..

Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 AM

37,312 posts, read 41,561,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The problem is not being at a loss for a diet its just sticking to it.
First 2 weeks of the south beach diet went well but into phase 2 i started backsliding and by week 4 i was over eating again.
Now i'm on a low Calorie,low carb diet that my gymn trainer drew up for me and after a couple of weeks i've added protein shakes to the mix,speaking of which its 11am and i just had a peach protein shake and all i can think of is eating more anything and everything..
As the last couple of months has been my first ever attempt at food control and weight loss i can see where many people may have problems sticking to a diet,its tough and very easy to fail..
You have lost 15 pounds and quit smoking! Congratulations!

The HCG diet is a scam and not good for anyone, especially a diabetic.

Have you talked with a nutritionist? That would be a good place to start. You can come up with a diet that you can live with. You can also learn how to estimate portions, although at first it is best to measure them. Otherwise, it is easy to cheat and take in too many calories. Plan 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. Have a salad with lunch and supper (but leave off the high calorie toppings like bacon and cheese and use a low calorie dressing.) How many calories are you trying to get now? Some veggies have very few calories and fill you up. Eat lots of those.

How much cardio do you do? Increasing that can burn more calories. Use every opportunity to burn a few more calories. If you go to the mall, walk a lap or two while you are there. Park at the far edge of the parking lot, not closest to the door.

Are you recording your blood sugars? How many times a day do you test? Seeing improvement there can be a big motivator.

When you find yourself thinking about food, do something! Go outside for a few minutes! Clean the bathroom! Run the vacuum cleaner! Have a drink of water! Have a cup of bouillon --- very good on a cold day. Remind yourself it is only a short while until you can eat again, because if you are eating 5 or 6 times a day, it will be.

Plan at least a week's worth of meals before you go to the grocery store. If someone else can do the shopping, let them. Stay out of places that sell junk food. If you go out to eat, choose a place that allows you to customize your meal. Restaurant portions are too large. Divide the meal and ask for a takeout container before you eat the first bite.

For special occasions, plan ahead. Reduce intake earlier in the day to allow for a glass of wine in the evening.

Are you being sabotaged by someone else in the family? Someone who encourages you to eat what you know you shouldn't? If so, confront him. Tell him you are doing this because you want to be healthier. If he continues to tempt you, leave the room.

As you lose weight, reward yourself --- but not with food. Go to a movie. Buy a book. Think about buying clothes in smaller sizes.

The biggest problem with diets is knowing what to cook. The American Heart Association Cookbook has some great recipes.

If you are feeding anyone besides yourself, everyone eats what you are eating! No separate "diet meal"! That way, you have to make the effort to come up with something tasty. Again, plan ahead at least a week. That way you have no excuse. If you are not the primary cook, you and the cook need to sit down and decide how to make changes.

Keep a few frozen meals handy for times when you are rushed and would be tempted to just order a pizza.

Keep trying! Don't be discouraged by any lapses --- put them behind you and keep at it!

Edited to add: I am not sure that there is a good place for protein shakes in your diet. Really think about seeing a nutritionist.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM

99 posts, read 173,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I encourage the OP to research for themselves. The hCG has been the saving grace of many diabetic and/or pre-diabetic individuals, including myself. After the hCG diet, I felt healthier than ever and my doctor was able to note that.

Calorie-counting is also a good way to lose weight. Stay within 2,000 (for a man your size). Cut out refined flours, sugar, etc. Include lots of veggies and lots of water. Try a new veggie everyday.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I second this. HCG is nothing but a super scam that should be avoided at all costs.

Congrats on stopping the smoking.

You might want to look into one of the complete workout systems like Body For Life (which is great), P90x (which is also great but dont listen to people who say you need to be in shape FIRST to start this ). Educate yourself on proper nutrition and just start moving more.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,827,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any help,tips or tricks would be appreciated
I have a couple tips that have helped me succeed.

Avoid anything except very low intensity exercise. I don't know why but if I run too fast, weight train or participate in high intensity sports, I put on weight for the following week.

The surefire way that I know I've been too intense is being crazy hungry after training. Ideally, when I finish jogging, I have a big glass of water and then a small glass of juice. If I'm not satisfied with those fluids, I know I've done too much.

Do more. I have an exercise bike that I'm always on when relaxing. (Except right now because I'm recovering from an injury.)

My weight still fluctuates. I don't track my diet and I don't care. As mentioned, I'm recovering from an injury and I think I've put on many lbs in two weeks. Oh well. I'll just lose it in a couple weeks when I have my body back.

I think that's the secret. I started to jog as a hobby. Sure, I needed to lose weight but it's not like I'm single. So it was all about the activity but not a goal of losing weight.

To me, an ex-smoker, it's just like quitting smoking. Just do it. If you slip, just get back to it again and again until you have the right footing. Just do it and do it more.

By the way, I don't watch my diet. Deep fried home made egg rolls are waiting for me right now. I had biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I am a pig and love it! I just exercise like a nut to enable it

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,477,058 times
My sure fire diet tip...don't eat any food that you really like...After all, it is just food. Put it in perspective. I eat mostly fish, eggs, and spinach. For treats I will have a banana or grapefruit. I have cut out everything with flour, sugar, and fat. No beef. No dairy. Work out, two hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss