Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,849,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Less than 1500 probably but I don't count. I use food groups & portion sizes instead. On Dukan & diets like the Zone you'd never need to count because you're eating similar portions of food just about every day. This may be the biggest diet secret.
its kind of funny what you are saying. you are basically saying that you should eat lower calorie but dont count the calories. its really the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM

42,037 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
How can you possibly know how many calories is in that meal, unless you weigh every single ingredient before you make any food, figure out how many calories the completed item is, then measure out and weigh your individual portion and divide by the total number of servings to come up with the right number.
Ever heard of measuring by volume?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ever heard of measuring by volume?
So you're telling me that I'll have to actually make a RECIPE to make meatballs, and measure ingredients? I'm guessing you've never eaten food prepared by an italian cook, ever, in your entire life.

Measuring? Really? Easier to just buy pre-made frozen dinners. Measuring my food - that's ridiculous.

I measure when the success of a thing requires precision. Like my dad's chocolate mousse. Two drops too much kahlua and it ends up a drippy syrup.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM

42,037 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you've never eaten food prepared by an italian cook, ever, in your entire life.
Shows what you know. I am an Italian cook.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Shows what you know. I am an Italian cook.
Samples, or it didn't happen.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM

when you have counted calories for long enough, you can estimate when it comes to the meals that are may be difficult to get exact with. im not sure how many of us really need to be so precise.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,596,680 times
Quote:
So you're telling me that I'll have to actually make a RECIPE to make meatballs, and measure ingredients? I'm guessing you've never eaten food prepared by an italian cook, ever, in your entire life.

Measuring? Really? Easier to just buy pre-made frozen dinners. Measuring my food - that's ridiculous.
folks on WW who dont like to measure, need to be wary of the temptation to buy too much processed food that has printed nutrient info. I mean unless you think processed food is just excellent.

BUT - if you know you pretty much make it the same way everytime, you only have to measure it once, and then just stick to that. If you make different quantities, but with the same basic proportions, you can ratio it. If thats too confining, you can guesstimate.

Or you can just skip the tracking and try another approach. Even WW has a non tracking approach - they suggest just eating "filling foods". Myself I like the idea of nothing being off limits, and find tracking works.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,596,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its kind of funny what you are saying. you are basically saying that you should eat lower calorie but dont count the calories. its really the same thing.

I guess for some folks "eat a piece of chicken THIS big every day, and have two glasses of milk, and an apple EVERY day" is less intimidating than a lot of measuring spoons and calculators and tracking booklets.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I mean unless you think processed food is just excellent.
whats wrong with processed food?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I guess for some folks "eat a piece of chicken THIS big every day, and have two glasses of milk, and an apple EVERY day" is less intimidating than a lot of measuring spoons and calculators and tracking booklets.
im not saying that. im saying that after measuring 8 ounce portions of chicken for years, i can estimate the weight of a piece of chicken and then estimate the calories. same with other stuff. when you have been counting for so long, you learn what foods have what calories per x, and you can estimate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss