Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,586,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Calorie counting is not useless at all. It's useful in conjunction with reducing fat intake and exercise. If I'm 5'5", small boned, and weigh 230 pounds, and I'm eating 2800 calories a day, I know that reducing my calorie intake 1000 calories to a total of 1800 calories per day instead, is going to increase my chances of losing weight. I ALSO know that 230 pounds IS overweight, and that even if I am a professional weight-lifter, 230 pounds for a 5'5" small-boned frame is too much weight and that I need to lose.

ONE METHOD of losing - is to count calories.
ANOTHER method is to count carbs.
ANOTHER method is to count fat.
ANOTHER method is to increase exercise.
ANOTHER method is to eliminate all flour and sugar.
ANOTHER method is to eat only twinkies.

There are lots of methods, and they ALL result in weight loss. Whether the loss is short or long term, depends on whether a person changes their lifestyle after the loss. The weight doesn't magickally just show up again a week after losing 50 pounds by counting calories. It -will- show up again, if the person who lost it, returns to eating that 2800 calorie per day diet of Big Macs, fries, and nachos, and stops getting exercise.

In other words, the weight doesn't return because of the type of diet they were on. It returns because of what they did when they decided they were done with the diet.

science has shown that arguing with a determined spammer is hopeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,586,292 times
"Did your calories go to the lean muscle mas top be burned OR did they go right to the fat mass and palced away. THAT question is NOT AT ALL addressed by teh Caloric Hypothesis"

if the calories in went straight to the fat mass, what exactly did my muscles use to power my daily activity? Did they manage to violate the law of the conservation of energy? I understand there can be SOME variability in metabolism rate - I think most modern weight management programs (including WW) reflect that, (while of course ones like Atkins are largely built around that). Certainly my own experience has shown me that when I limit my caloric intake (modified as per WW points plus) and increase my activity, i lose weight.

(within one pound of my initial goal now btw)

Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 AM

859 posts, read 2,997,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
science has shown that arguing with a determined spammer is hopeless.
Totally agree!

Counting calories has worked for me, and I will continue to count calories to lose a few more Lbs, and then to maintain my weight.

However, while I may have started my diet (hate to use that word) by Counting calories, overall, counting calories has forced me to relook what I was eating and my eating habits.

So in the end, I am not just simply counting calories, I have transitioned to a life style change for the better.

Last edited by marc515; 05-17-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 AM

525 posts, read 763,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"Did your calories go to the lean muscle mas top be burned OR did they go right to the fat mass and palced away. THAT question is NOT AT ALL addressed by teh Caloric Hypothesis"

if the calories in went straight to the fat mass, what exactly did my muscles use to power my daily activity? Did they manage to violate the law of the conservation of energy? I understand there can be SOME variability in metabolism rate - I think most modern weight management programs (including WW) reflect that, (while of course ones like Atkins are largely built around that). Certainly my own experience has shown me that when I limit my caloric intake (modified as per WW points plus) and increase my activity, i lose weight.

(within one pound of my initial goal now btw)

You have no clue. The laws of thermodynamcis REPEATEDLY DO AND HAVE gotten viotaed.

BLACK HOLES.

Second, your energy could have GONE TO THE FAT MASS to be stored.FUEL PARTIITONING IS NOT ADDRESSED by the Caloric Hypothesis. Acknowledgeing how fat cells are regulated and behvae in mammals does NOT vioate thermodyanmics. I suggest you educate yourslef.

The Caloric Hypothesis is DEAD.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,058,440 times
You can post your theory as many times as you like. There are simple rules of nutrition. If you add 3,500 calories, you gain one pound. If you expend 3,500 calories, you lose one pound. That is the way it works.

Yes, the mix of proteins, carbohydrates and fats have a direct bearing ... but remember the rules of nutrition. Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories, Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories, and Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories. No matter how many ways you want to try to change it, adjust it, debate it or ignore it, calories do count. YELLING AT OTHERS won't change those rules either.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,590,304 times
Well one thing can be observed as a fact though, ricksantos seems to lack reading comprehension. from looking at the last couple of posts it's like watching a chinese dude argue in bad german with a russian who's trying to speak persian...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,842,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Well one thing can be observed as a fact though, ricksantos seems to lack reading comprehension. from looking at the last couple of posts it's like watching a chinese dude argue in bad german with a russian who's trying to speak persian...
That was cute. And appears accurate! Can't rep you twice today.

In summary of all these posts:

Calories are a measurement of food value. Just like fat is a measurement of food value. If you normally eat "10 units" of fat, and gain weight, and normally eat "5 units" of fat to maintain, then you know that eating "4 units of fat" will result in a loss.

If you normally eat "3000 units" of calories and gain weight, and normally eat "2300 units" of calories and maintain, then you know that eating "2299 units" of calories will result in a loss.

This ain't rocket science, it ain't even biochemistry. It's simple math.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,437,689 times
If people think calorie counting is useless, then fine. Don't count them and find your own way to lose weight.

I dropped 15 pounds counting calories and it was pretty darn easy. A couple of my coworkers asked what my secret was for weight loss and I told them it wasn't a secret, it was basic math: calories in, calories out. Reduce the number of calories you eat by 3,500/week, and you will lose 1 pound a week. Of course, they then lost interest in the conversation as these two particular people love gimmicks, whether it be pills, the latest fad diet, meal replacement shakes...and they are both still very much overweight and probably always will be until they embrace a healthy lifestyle change.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM

859 posts, read 2,997,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
If people think calorie counting is useless, then fine. Don't count them and find your own way to lose weight.

I dropped 15 pounds counting calories and it was pretty darn easy. A couple of my coworkers asked what my secret was for weight loss and I told them it wasn't a secret, it was basic math: calories in, calories out. Reduce the number of calories you eat by 3,500/week, and you will lose 1 pound a week. Of course, they then lost interest in the conversation as these two particular people love gimmicks, whether it be pills, the latest fad diet, meal replacement shakes...and they are both still very much overweight and probably always will be until they embrace a healthy lifestyle change.
Mels; fully agreee with you, there are so many looking for quick weight loss instead of going back to the basics.

Counting calories has taught me to eat more healthy, and I'm down 43Lbs.

Heck, all the "good stuff" is high in calories, and you can blow your daily intake in one meal w/desert; so by eating healthy, you get to eat more.

I think weight watchers is basically the same principle, but you count points instead of calories, and learn healthy eating as the end result.

Bottom line is you have to consume less if you want to lose weight. So, for thouse who do not believe in counting, best of luck in whatever method you choose.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,058,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I think weight watchers is basically the same principle, but you count points instead of calories, and learn healthy eating as the end result.
Absolutely right ... and the points are based on the amount of carbohydrates, protein, fat and fiber - in other words CALORIES ... with a slight adjustment for the fiber content.

By the way, great job on the weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss