Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:48 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,688,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm more curious to know what kind of person would hang out only with people who know their -own- blood type. Most people I know, have no idea what type they are. It's on the chart at the doctor's office, and that's really all they need to know.
This is so true. I have spent years thinking I was type O and just found out yesterday having my blood drawn that I am type A. I felt like a dumbarse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm more curious to know what kind of person would hang out only with people who know their -own- blood type. Most people I know, have no idea what type they are. It's on the chart at the doctor's office, and that's really all they need to know.
How funny; I can't imagine not wanting to know. We typed our own blood in middle school, so it seems I've always known my type. My mom, dad, and siblings all have the same type - A+. So does my husband.

Of course, I don't necessarily ask other people in casual conversation, but I will if the subject comes up. <shrug> It's no big deal.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times
pinky - thank you for sharing! We are keeping a family food journal and counting calories. This is all new to me. It's a lot harder than I thought it was going to be! Can you offer any tips as to how you estimate calories for home-cooked meals? I know if you do something out of a can or box or a microwave meal the nutrition info is on thepackage, but when we prepare meals at home, I have no idea how to figure out how many calories in that meal.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
pinky - thank you for sharing! We are keeping a family food journal and counting calories. This is all new to me. It's a lot harder than I thought it was going to be! Can you offer any tips as to how you estimate calories for home-cooked meals? I know if you do something out of a can or box or a microwave meal the nutrition info is on thepackage, but when we prepare meals at home, I have no idea how to figure out how many calories in that meal.
You can find out online, there are a few websites to help. You have to work out portion sizes; for example, if you make ziti and meatballs (my Monday meal every week, hubby insists), you know that there's 1 pound of ziti in a box of ziti. And you know how much meat you're buying, because you pay for it by the pound. Divide that by however many meatballs you made, round it UP to the next 50 because of the added egg, bread, and milk you're adding to the meatball mix, and that's a fair approximation of how many calories per serving you just served.

there's calorieking.com and caloriecountabout.com for looking up specific foods, you just have to estimate the portion size.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:54 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,170,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I have a small food scale and once you get used to certain portions and types of things like chicken...steaks...veggies..etc., it becomes easier to guesstimate the range. I probably over-guess, but that's ok for me. Better safer than sorry.

I add up calories of ingredients in meals before I mix them, then I total it and cut whatever it is into a certain amount of pieces and divide total calories by that, so I know how much is in each serving. I also stick with TONS of proteins and veggies for the most part. Makes things easier.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,289,413 times
Cut out the carbs and you won't need to worry about the calories.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Cut out the carbs and you won't need to worry about the calories.
Not completely true. Although the ATKINs way of life has worked for many and even myself, you still cannot eat 3 pounds of bacon for the day without worrying haha.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times
Thank you, I tried to rep you (pinky and anon) but it said I had to spread it around first...

My doctor has advised against things like the Dukan diet and the Atkin's diet (Hubby needs to lose weight and we are trying to work together as a family to help him.) Our doctor warned us that those low carb high protein (in the form of meat) diets can be very bad for your heart, liver, and kidneys.

We prefer to eat a more well-balanced whole foods diet, but I am thinking that our portions are probably too large. This is where the counting calories has come in.

If I didn't have a meat-loving husband and two growing boys to also buy and cook food for, I would be a raw vegan. But even now as a mostly raw vegan I think my portion sizes are probably still too large! I can eat salads that are bigger than my head! But my husband definitely needs to reduce his calories. He also needs to exchange some of that meat and fried stuff and cheese for fruits and veggies, seeds and nuts and whole grains. It's hard for someone to change their diet.

Soda is a huge thing, too. Anythig with sugar, really. Gotta cut that junk out or you are going to gain weight. And diet soda is full of chemicals that are bad for you, so even if it doesn't have calories, you are still putting things into your body that aren't supposed to be in there and that will make you sick over the course of time.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM

I now drink seltzer and try to get almost all of my carbs from veggies. It makes a world of difference haggard

Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
I can't remember if I posted this here or in a different forum, but you can make your own soda, without any added sweetener at all. You need a seltzer-maker, some gas cartridges, water, and fruit. If you remember old 3 Stooges movies, they used to spritz soda from a seltzer-maker at each other. You can buy those in some of the better chefs' stores.

Fill it 3/4 of the way with water, squeeze in the juice of a tangerine, a lemon, and a lime, shove a cartridge on the cap, and pull the trigger over glasses filled with ice. No preservatives, no artificial ingredients, no added sugar, low calories, low carbs, no fat, and delicious natural vitamin C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss