Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times

Advertisements

Go clothes shopping. Buying a smaller size makes me smile every time and is the best compliment of all

except I'm nearly running out of sizes in the pants section...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 AM

42 posts, read 85,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Go clothes shopping. Buying a smaller size makes me smile every time and is the best compliment of all

except I'm nearly running out of sizes in the pants section...
I'm not quite to that point yet. Probably another 5 pounds though. I bought a new pair of jeans about a month ago just because my old pair looked horrible. Yes- I only own one pair of jeans. Teacher. 'Nuff said. Anyway, those jeans are already starting to get a little baggy on me. It won't be long until I'll need to get a different size. That's when you know you're getting somewhere... when the clothes start fitting differently.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

soon you'll be able to complain about buying clothes and not having them fit for very long. That is also a very good thing, as long as you're needing smaller sizes instead of larger..

for a while I was changing sizes every month or two, so I would buy something I could barely squeeze into just so it wouldn't look too baggy the next month.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 AM

42 posts, read 85,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
soon you'll be able to complain about buying clothes and not having them fit for very long. That is also a very good thing, as long as you're needing smaller sizes instead of larger..

for a while I was changing sizes every month or two, so I would buy something I could barely squeeze into just so it wouldn't look too baggy the next month.
That's awesome! I hope this trend continues. I'm averaging 6 lbs per month. I can't complain.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Congrats on your weightloss. Something similar happened to me at work and I just laughed it off. I weighed 350 last year and I've lost 112 pounds naturally in less than a year. When I had hit the 90 pound mark loss, another coworker in the office lost about 40.....this man was saying how remarkable it was for the guy to lose 40 pounds and I'm looking at him like...dude...I've lost 90 and he says well, it was harder to tell..LOL..I had to laugh since I am 5'10" and the other person is about 5'4" if that...

STAY ENCOURAGED!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
I don't care if YOU can't tell it or not, Ms. Secretary. Whatever happened to social graces and white lies? I'm really trying not to let this discourage me, but her little comment really made me mad. She could've said something positive at least. I'm proud of my 12 pounds dang it.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
Some people, sadly enough, are jealous of the accomplishments of others. I would not say a word to any of these people; let them see for themselves when you step out in your size sixes ( or whatever size you would like to be ) .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Never discuss weight loss at work! No one cares that you've been losing weight & likely she needs to lose weight too. No one will support you ever-- you have to be tough & do it yourself. Other people are selfish saboteurs generally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I find it best not to talk about it at all. Everyone has an opinion.

Keep doing what you're doing, make your healthy choices, and the heck with what anyone else thinks or says. Let your appearance of better health do the talking for you.

Congratulations on your great start. Keep it up!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:33 AM

I think that's on a case by case basis. We talk about it all the time where I work and it helps for the most part. Some of the younger guys can't comprehend why anyone would want to lose weight while they're trying to put some on, but for the most part, we're all speaking the same language.
And 6 pounds/month is ideal. Just keep at that pace and you'll be feeling so much better inside you'll forget about all those other people. Besides, many of the people you don't know will also start treating you better and that feels real good. I know it's not fair, but that's just how it is. People treat others differently depending on their weight.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Some people, for whatever reason, are just negative, and get power from putting others down.

You are giving me hope. Last year I lost 50 pounds, but got so depressed, I gained it back. 50 pounds, when you are big, just does not really change anything, you still "look" fat to others. But I did feel better, and my clothes fit better.

I just gave up. I know I can do it again. It just takes a lot of internal energy and self esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss