Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times

Advertisements

Have you tried an all fruit diet yet. a friend of mine was bouncing from one diet to another and having scant success, I suggested he go on an all fruit diet and vitamin pills, so far he has lost 20 lbs. I suspect he was constitutionally incapable of staying on a diet that didn't allow sweets, fructose is a bit more digestible than others and satisfies that need for sugar. Also, with other diets sometimes they cause a drop in the blood sugar level which makes you crave sweets even more, fruits help keep the blood sugar somewhat elevated and you don't freak out because of sugar cravings. Apples, Oranges, Bananas, grapes, melons, pineapples, you can augment the protein not found in fruit with Pecans, Almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, pistachios, anything but peanuts, they are in a class by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Whatever diet you chose....it will be hard.....food is very yummy, the tasteosity factor may drive you insane.

Lifestyle change......meh......it's a diet no matter which way you slice it.....unless you just let yourself go....eat anything......go to yummy Chinese buffet every day.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You've tried every shi**y diet there is havent you? Why dont you just learn how to eat properly and never have to diet again? Pick up a few books on nutrition, learn how to have a well balanced healthy nutrition plan and you'll never ever have to diet again in your life.

This is so simple. Eat right. Exercise.
I'll agree with this, although I will say that WW DOES work and isn't a shitty "diet". People tend to treat it as temporary diet change and that's when they fail.

WW does teach you how and what to eat. The problem is, this is not something you can do temporarily. Once you go back to your old eating habits, the weight comes back as well (this is true for any food plan).

I think the main problem here is that the OP is treating this as something temporary and it shouldn't be. The OP is going to need to make some lifestyle changes if he/she wants to lose weight and then keep it off.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'll agree with this, although I will say that WW DOES work and isn't a shitty "diet". People tend to treat it as temporary diet change and that's when they fail.

WW does teach you how and what to eat. The problem is, this is not something you can do temporarily. Once you go back to your old eating habits, the weight comes back as well (this is true for any food plan).

I think the main problem here is that the OP is treating this as something temporary and it shouldn't be. The OP is going to need to make some lifestyle changes if he/she wants to lose weight and then keep it off.
Ding, ding, ding...winner! That's the first thing I thought of when I read the OP's post.

To the OP, you may want to read Michael Pollan's Food Rules. It is not a diet book, just a guide to starting a healthy eating regimen.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

This. I have lost 20 pounds since December on WW. I am expecting to keep these habits when I go on maintenance - not for this to just be a "diet". I find that being able to eat a variety of foods, and large quantities of SOME foods (esp veggies) makes it NOT feel depriving.

I do know that some folks on WW do NOT eat all that WW allows - they either exclude foods they like (even though WW does not require you to do that) or they dont eat as much as WW allows, etc. They tend to be the folks it does not work for.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to eat pizza again - it has been a problem food for me, and I have been avoiding it since being on WW - but then I decided, that if this is a sustainable lifestyle, not a diet, I cannot have in my head "I will eat pizza when I go on maintenance" I need to be able to eat it, UNDER CONTROL, now, while still on weight loss. And I did. I CAN eat one slice a week. And stay within plan.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 AM

101 posts, read 227,056 times
Thanks for all the ideas, I am hyprothyroid and am often told by my doctor that until we get my meds right, I will never lose anything but I do keep working at it. I do make an effort but I do have an issue with consistence. I work for three different companies, and on the days I leave earlier, I will put off exercise till tomorrow, and that breaks my routine. I also will skip meals a lot, even though I know better. I need to put myself on my own to do list. When I do get focused completely on a diet plan I am surprised by all the food I am required to eat.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
Thanks for all the ideas, I am hyprothyroid and am often told by my doctor that until we get my meds right, I will never lose anything but I do keep working at it. I do make an effort but I do have an issue with consistence. I work for three different companies, and on the days I leave earlier, I will put off exercise till tomorrow, and that breaks my routine. I also will skip meals a lot, even though I know better. I need to put myself on my own to do list. When I do get focused completely on a diet plan I am surprised by all the food I am required to eat.
When were you diagnosed?

I was diagnosed back in September and I was going every 6 weeks for bloodwork and dosage "tweaks". I did drop 20lbs pretty quickly though, with minimal effort (watching what I ate, exercising moderately) but I have hit a plateau on the scale for about the last 8 weeks that I cannot break through.

At my last appt. in March my levels were good so there was no reason to adjust my meds and I'm FINALLY able to go every 3 months instead of every 6 weeks.

It can sometimes take a very long time to get adjusted. If I go one more appt. with good levels he'll only have to see me every 6 months but if I need an adjustment I go back to every 6 weeks. It's a pain in the rear and it does NOT solve all the weight loss issues.

I have found that now that I've lost the weight I gained before being diagnosed, I'm having a much, much harder time losing the last 20lbs or so. It just does not want to budge and I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate my eating and exercise plan.

Just stick with whatever you choose and don't quit if you don't see results. Quitting your plan will make you take 2 steps backwards and you really do not want to go in that direction. Just re-evaluate it and move forward.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 PM

101 posts, read 227,056 times
I was diagnosed in the last three years also had complete hystrectomy same time. So I have no functioning hormones at this point, before this I had no problem keeping my weight where I wanted it to be. I am seeing dr. at two month intervals right now. I am hashimotos, as well. I was very active and played every sport, I am doing the P90X series right now, and it is quite the challenge, and am excited about. I have played with 10 lbs over my lifetime, but now we are talking 30 lbs., and I get frustrated and start searching for possiblities. I just need to take the time needed for myself and keep working at.
So many people act as the thyroid is not important they have no idea how much it controls in a person's body.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Yes, read Eat Right For Your Type & for even more specific dietary advice, The Genotype Diet. Figure out how to eat for your genetics & metabolism. Don't do a "one size fits all approach". I do Dukan, for example, because it fits my metabolic/genetic profile.
Quote:
You've tried every shi**y diet there is havent you? Why dont you just learn how to eat properly and never have to diet again? Pick up a few books on nutrition, learn how to have a well balanced healthy nutrition plan and you'll never ever have to diet again in your life.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:

So simple and yet so hard because many of us come home frazzled and ready to eat out the fridge contents and it's easier to grab a package of twinkies or eat a bunch of crackers than it is to cook up a pot of broccoli. Or we intend to work out 4x this week but one of the kids has a baseball game tonight, the dog gets sick and has to go to the vet the next day, and . . . It's the story of our modern lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss