Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 AM

101 posts, read 227,363 times

Advertisements

I've done HCG, Weight Watchers, Blood Type, Cabbage Soup, Hot Dog, and even Ice Cream, attempted Atkins, read South Beach, 17 Day, and Dr. Oz.

Has anyone found a plan that really works, and also doesn't at some point make you feel like you are being purnished? I can go for several weeks on most any plan and then I hit that wall. You know the one where you can't stand another chicken breast. Any ideas of ones that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
no diet will ever work for you

Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
Your success will depend on whether you're trying to lost 10 pounds fast, or whether you're trying to become fit and healthy and stay that way.

Being on a diet for "several weeks" will be great for quick weight loss. Changing your eating habits as part of your lifestyle, will be great for long term.

Obviously the "be on a diet for several weeks" thing isn't working for you. Try the long term. Weight watchers is designed for that.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,290,779 times
Start with your blood type. If youre an O, go high protein & include red meat. If you're an A, go more vegetarian/flexitarian, get protein from a variety of sources other than meat. If you're an AB or B, read ER4YT. Whatever you do, steer clear of veganism.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times
Connie: How much exercise do you get? Too many people focus on special diets. Eat a well balanced diet. Ask your grandmother what she ate. She probably ate very well. Watch the processed foods. Lower your fat grams. Read labels. Take a good multi every day.

And walk! Park at the far end of the parking lot. Use the stairs. Climb up escalators. Don't use automatic doors. (Most doors are heavy. Open them yourself and build up arm muscles.) If you work walk around the building at lunch. When you go to the mall park as far from your favorite store as possible. Take 2 or 3 laps around the mall. Every time. Burn off more calories than you take in and you will see weight loss. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times
They all work, but as soon as you go off them you gain the weight back. You might as well watch calories and get the lead out, cause that's the only thing that will work in the long run.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 PM

834 posts, read 2,686,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
I've done HCG, Weight Watchers, Blood Type, Cabbage Soup, Hot Dog, and even Ice Cream, attempted Atkins, read South Beach, 17 Day, and Dr. Oz.

Has anyone found a plan that really works, and also doesn't at some point make you feel like you are being purnished? I can go for several weeks on most any plan and then I hit that wall. You know the one where you can't stand another chicken breast. Any ideas of ones that work?
Generally, if you go to the grocery store and only shop the areas that are near the walls you will more likely get the more fresh products (not much of canned stuff). I have also done several diets...but overall...stick to a # of calories that will be good for you. In my case, I'm trying to get at or below 1500 calories a day - accouting for physical activity, and other things I do during the day. Your number may be different. Make plans to exercise - walk, jog, park far away at the mall, take the steps instead the elevator.

No matter what it's going to suck! there is no easy way to lose extra weight (especially if it's more than 10lbs). Stay away from buying tempting snacks...if they are not in the house, the less chances you will fail. Make yourself work for that "treat" at the end of the week or month when you've achieved a small goal. Plan ahead - if you know you're going out to dinner, plan to eat less during the day so you can save more of your calories for that dinner...or perhaps an extra glass of wine (just as example).

I personally don't like this, but it's best that you write down what you are eating, how many cups of water, a little snack here, a little snack there...it all adds up. If you have a smart cell phone there are a variety of apps you can download to help you keep track of your intake and have better calculations of your calories.

Make a list of those things you enjoy eating and find lower calorie recipes to make your own meal. If you plan ahead what you're going to eat, it will help you get mentally prepared for your busy week.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,290,779 times
You might like Healthy, Sexy, Happy by Nancy Deville; it will be released on June 1st. Deville advocates a diet of "real foods".

Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
I'd say go for the one you can continue to live with b/c if you don't, you'll just lose weight and then put it all back on and if you do that too many times you won't be able to lose at all. So I'm with the go slow crowd. Also, I don't know how your dietary habits are but if most people would drop the crap from their diets they'd lose weight. That means sugary foods, processed foods, fried foods, and any kind of soda--even diet.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,989,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post

Has anyone found a plan that really works, ...........
You've tried every Moderator cut: language removed diet there is havent you? Why dont you just learn how to eat properly and never have to diet again? Pick up a few books on nutrition, learn how to have a well balanced healthy nutrition plan and you'll never ever have to diet again in your life.

This is so simple. Eat right. Exercise.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-01-2011 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss