Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Most of the diets I've done aren't fad diets; they have been on the market 10+ years & have substantial numbers of followers with active online forums & testimonies.
Great! You have found some fellow sheep. One of these days when I get bored I'll head over to the blood type diet forums and start laying waste to them with facts. That should be great fun.

Quote:
I will do blood type/genotype theory the rest of my life. It's a permanent part of my practice.
And I'll continue to expose this junk science theory. Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
There seems to be a lot of bullies on my thread. It is amazing how mean people become when you start asking a simple question about diets. People are very judgemental about each others food, and weight, I believe it could be classified as a form of racism. Can we just all get along?
I didn't know weight and food were races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Welcome to citydata.com forum.
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of bullies on my thread. It is amazing how mean people become when you start asking a simple question about diets. People are very judgemental about each others food, and weight, I believe it could be classified as a form of racism. Can we just all get along?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
I've done HCG, Weight Watchers, Blood Type, Cabbage Soup, Hot Dog, and even Ice Cream, attempted Atkins, read South Beach, 17 Day, and Dr. Oz.

Has anyone found a plan that really works, and also doesn't at some point make you feel like you are being purnished? I can go for several weeks on most any plan and then I hit that wall. You know the one where you can't stand another chicken breast. Any ideas of ones that work?
What is this wall and punishment thing? What did you learn about yourself while trying these diets out? What did you like? What did you hate?

All "diets" work for weight loss if you stick to them. They all operate on the core principle of stopping you from overeating.

Since you have thyroid issues I would do a lot of reading on those types of diets. There are certain food that can make it easier or harder to lose steadily.

I would look for a diet with more flexibility and that is just general nutrition. You can have beef in the proper amount etc. A popular calorie number for females is 1200. But I think its easiest to eat your BMR. BMR does not drop to 1200 until you are 120lbs or so.

Another thing that makes changes easier and more natural is looking for healthy versions of all the stuff you love now thats on the fattening side. I think that helped quite a bit in keeping it off for me.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:

I dont mind what anyone else eats. This gets tied in with statements about various health claims, about the accuracy of various studies, etc, etc. That makes it more emotional than just about how anyone eats.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,477 times
How about some common sense?
Scrap the diets, and use your own brain in the supermarket.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Opinions on the value of different diets a form of racism..................uh, what? Now I think I have heard it all.

I say if it really works for you (your health improves on "your" diet), more power to you. I think I draw the line at parents forcing their kids to eat a Vegan diet (then demonizing the kid when they cheat).

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
And I would say that many of the failures of weight watchers that I am aware of were either people who would not track, or who regularly went over their daily, weekly, and activitiy points, or, on the other hand, folks who went overboard and did not eat the points available, etc.

So each of the two main camps has particular strengths and weaknesses. Most of them have to do not with the science, but with the psychology - is it easier for a particular individual to deal with tracking and portion control, or with a very low of carbs. Which elicits more skepicism and resistance - allowing high levels of fats, or allowing ANY food? Everyone seems to see things differently.
I agree with this 100%. I think that the WW diet is a lot more palatable psychologically when compared to Atkins, probably has a lot better success rate, both have their value.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
How about some common sense?
Scrap the diets, and use your own brain in the supermarket.
Ok, my brain says Chinese Buffet and Jack In The Box........daily!!!!!!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ok, my brain says Chinese Buffet and Jack In The Box........daily!!!!!!!!
Maybe bring it to Wendy's and trade it in for a single with cheese. I think the original is defective.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,477 times
Told you to use your brain, not your tongue/stommach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss