Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've noticed a significant improvement in digestion since starting Atkins. I used to get heartburn frequently but don't anymore.

Ive noticed my heartburn get better since losing weight, on weight watchers. And general digestion has improved with lots of fiber, INCLUDING whole grains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I eat everything--whole grains, meat, dairy, veggies, fruit, candy, processed crap--and my weight is the same as it was in high school 30 years ago. (I'm 5'10" and weigh between 140-145). When I go to the doctor she marvels at my low cholesterol. I take no medications and have no chronic health problems. Of course that doesn't mean I don't have cancer or won't drop dead of an aneurism tomorrow, but statistically I am in good shape.

My point is that there is no "good" or "bad" food. If something makes you feel bad when you eat it, don't eat it. There's no need to preach to everyone else that they shouldn't eat it. If you keep your calories within a good range for your activity level and get regular exercise that makes your heart pound and works your muscles, you'll be fine.

As far as the paleolithic diet, or the blood type diet, or any other of the 1000's of "diets" out there, they are designed to do one thing only--sell books. Don't kid yourself that they're going to do anything for you.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:37 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Default Paleolithic Diet

And with this "Paleolithic Diet," wouldn't we also need the use of our appendix? I am sure it helped them back then.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
My side effects with wheat and dairy are textbook -- bloating, joint pain, headaches, neurological disturbances, subtle weight gain, worse if I eat every day which I haven't eat either food regularly in about 20 years. I harp on these two foods because they are health damaging & metabolic inactivating for blood type Os. My sister is one inch taller than me, 5'2" and is up to 118. Sorry, her playing weight should be a lean, mean 110-115 at most. Why is she 5 nearly 10 lbs overweight? She eats wheat toast daily and has insulin receptor damage with increased fat storage and water weight gain. She like many Os is on the road to fat & old but refuses to listen. She's bought in to just eat everything and love your body crap that's taking over this country. No sorry one size does not fit all.
So don't eat that stuff. I'm an O, eat wheat and dairy and don't have bloating, joint pain or neurological disturbances. I get headaches occasionally, but usually when I haven't had enough water to drink. I gained about 10 pounds over 10 years but lost it by counting calories and keeping tabs on protein, fat carb intake. I did not cut out wheat or dairy.

So your sister is 5-10 pounds overweight and you've diagnosed her with insulin receptor damage? Unless you're an endocrinologist, you have no basis for your "diagnosis." But, while we're diagnosing, I'll say you've got serious body image issues.

Guess what? We're ALL on the way to old, if we're lucky. At the rate you're going, you're going to spend your entire life freaked out that you're about to gain 5 pounds or develop a wrinkle and then...you're gonna die. No one gets out alive L&L--skinny or not.

Last edited by Marlow; 06-13-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So your sister is 5-10 pounds overweight
BS (hers, not yours)! I'm also 5'2", so I know 118 is a perfect weight for this height.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
BS (hers, not yours)! I'm also 5'2", so I know 118 is a perfect weight for this height.
Agreed--sorry about that. I don't think 118 is overweight for 5'2" either.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
The Paleolithic diet at its core is about survival. I choose not to tolerate a 5 or 10 lb weight gain, it doesn't mesh with my philosophy.

Incidentally my sister has endometriosis & had an ovary removed. The condition is fueled by estrogen dominance which may be caused by insulin resistance. She has also developed allergies which is an O auto immune disorder which runs in my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So don't eat that stuff. I'm an O, eat wheat and dairy and don't have bloating, joint pain or neurological disturbances. I get headaches occasionally, but usually when I haven't had enough water to drink. I gained about 10 pounds over 10 years but lost it by counting calories and keeping tabs on protein, fat carb intake. I did not cut out wheat or dairy.

So your sister is 5-10 pounds overweight and you've diagnosed her with insulin receptor damage? Unless you're an endocrinologist, you have no basis for your "diagnosis." But, while we're diagnosing, I'll say you've got serious body image issues.

Guess what? We're ALL on the way to old, if we're lucky. At the rate you're going, you're going to spend your entire life freaked out that you're about to gain 5 pounds or develop a wrinkle and then...you're gonna die. No one gets out alive L&L--skinny or not.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
I am still waiting for a poster to make a statement about this who is skeptical about this Paleolithic Diet. Anyone?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Paleo is a perfectly fine diet for blood type Os. My diet more or less is Paleo, I'm probably one of the more Paleo people on this board. I eat red meat almost daily & restrict grains & dairy. At 40 I look good in skinny jeans, wear a size zero and pass for 5-10 years younger. The Paleo diet is not right for everyone though, it works for me due to genetics.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I am still waiting for a poster to make a statement about this who is skeptical about this Paleolithic Diet. Anyone?
Paleo, like all "diets," will result in weight loss if followed exactly. Paleo, like all "diets," will not resuilt in a healthy balanced nutritional regimine, because it eliminates or drastically reduces nutrients that are essential to human anatomy. You'll have to take supplements to replenish whatever you're not getting from the "diet."

Paleo was great for prehistoric humans who had clean water, untainted wild meats, unprocessed foods other than regular cooking with fire, whose lifestyles included a similar amount of exercise to an immigrant citrus farm worker, who never had to breathe in fumes from any machinery at all, who had no plumbing or sewers or birth control, who hunted for their meals, who had no supermarkets of any kind whatsoever, or delivery trucks, or takeout, or locks on their doors, and no glass for windows.

Their bodies were adapted to their environment. Modern humans living in the civilized part of the world are not adapted to the paleo environment, therefore modern humans living in the civilized part of the world will not be able to sustain the paleo diet *healthily* even if they lose weight from it.

As diets intended specifically and exclusively to lose weight, it's not bad at all. But it's not a diet that would keep you healthy, because it lacks fiber, it lacks carbs, it has too much fat, and it is intended for someone who is not even halfway as sedentary as most people have been within the past century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss