Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times

Advertisements

^^ Are you doing Paleo AnonChick? I feel great on it, even better since I upped my red meat and butter intake. My diet has been Paleo--esque for about a decade. Truly, one size does not fit all, Paleo is the only way for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As diets intended specifically and exclusively to lose weight, it's not bad at all. But it's not a diet that would keep you healthy, because it lacks fiber, it lacks carbs, it has too much fat, and it is intended for someone who is not even halfway as sedentary as most people have been within the past century.
Ok, now I am beginning to think you don't even know anything about what paleo diet books advocate. Bear in mind there are different versions out there, so for the sake of you not appearing misinformed or uninformed, I will assume you must have read a very strict paleo diet book or plan outline.

Fiber: Why does it lack fiber? Fiber intake at or above recommended intakes is easily acheivable in several variations of paleo style diets that I have read. Apples are allowed, so are unlimited fibrous veggies. 1 avocado has 14 grams of fiber. Find me a whole grain food that matches that...

Carbs: We don't really need many carbs at all. Our body can easily burn fat for energy throughout the entire body. That being said, the optimum level of carb intake can vary drastically from person to person depending on their activity levels and their insulin sensitivity. Paleo diets do not eliminate carbs. Fruits and tubers are fair game for daily consumption and a person can decide how high they want their carb intake. I choose very low as it works terrific for me. I do high level strength and cardio workouts 3-5 times per week and have not seen any loss of performance with the exception of the first couple of weeks as my body adapted to burning fat more efficiently as a fuel source. Most carbs for me are ingested in the 2 post workout meals.

Too much fat: According to who? Fat is also a variable component that an individual can easily adjust. For those that remain afraid of fat, they can easily stick to the foods on the diet and just choose lower fat options like lean beef, skinless chicken/turkey,etc. I chose to go with high fat because after reading through tons of research, I cannot find enough credible evidence that fat intake leads to health risks. Much of what I read is contradictory to high fat intake being a concern. There is certainly a much more clear link to excess carbs leading to diabetes and metabolic syndrome than there is a link to fat intake and heart disease. I tripled my fat intake including plenty of saturated fat and amazingly, my HDL went up and LDL and triglycerides went down. My doctor was shocked, I was not.

Sedentary: Tell me why high carbohydrate intake is more appropriate for a sedentarty culture vs high fat intake. Sounds to me like if they are busy sitting on their butts, they are not in need of glucose to power their muscles, so even for people who think higher carb intake is good, a large decrease for sedentary people should be a no brainer since they are not using the glucose that floods the bloodstream with each carb meal.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I have a question that maybe someone here can answer quickly

I am AB and on this diet it says to eliminate chicken but I can eat turkey....what? I don't understand the difference...it's still poultry.

Anyone???

Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have a question that maybe someone here can answer quickly

I am AB and on this diet it says to eliminate chicken but I can eat turkey....what? I don't understand the difference...it's still poultry.

Anyone???
Because it's a stupid "diet" that makes no sense and is intended for prehistoric man, not modern man. They pull "facts" out of context and fit it to the great idea of the month, and claim "this is the only way for me." One month Dukan is the only way for me. The next month Blood Type is the only way for me. The next month, Genotype is the only way for me. And the next, it's Paleo. And sometimes, they forget which one is this month's "only way" and claim the wrong one, and you end up seeing one month containing TWO "only ways" for me!

You can lose weight just watching certain posters. It burns calories. Which is what happens, any time you are losing weight, so you might as well just try to burn calories and not worry quite so much about which fad of the month to stick to.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Because it's a stupid "diet" that makes no sense and is intended for prehistoric man, not modern man. They pull "facts" out of context and fit it to the great idea of the month, and claim "this is the only way for me." One month Dukan is the only way for me. The next month Blood Type is the only way for me. The next month, Genotype is the only way for me. And the next, it's Paleo. And sometimes, they forget which one is this month's "only way" and claim the wrong one, and you end up seeing one month containing TWO "only ways" for me!

You can lose weight just watching certain posters. It burns calories. Which is what happens, any time you are losing weight, so you might as well just try to burn calories and not worry quite so much about which fad of the month to stick to.
Would you like to reply to my previous post? Or would you prefer to ignore that almost everyone of your points was based on nothing other than emotion and speculation?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So other than fruit, it sounds just like Atkins. I eat basically the same on that one. Atkins is a litte more low carb as 60 is the max i think but you have to work up to that from 20 in the first two weeks.

Wow, if I eat even close to 60 grams on Atkins it will kill my ketosis......thus lowering my energy levels and sense of well being. On the other hand if I go too low in carbs............well.............I can really feel when the hypos come on.......yuck.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Wow, if I eat even close to 60 grams on Atkins it will kill my ketosis......thus lowering my energy levels and sense of well being. On the other hand if I go too low in carbs............well.............I can really feel when the hypos come on.......yuck.
I think they allow up to about 60 on the highest rung of OWL but I've stock with the induction amount of 20 max so can't say from personal experience what happens when you get up to that higher level. I think that when I get closer to my maintenance weight I'll transition to something more like paleo by adding back carbs in the form of fruit. Right now I restrict my fruit consumption to berries (which aren't technically fruit in the botanical sense). I can't see how a diet consisting almost completely of meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, vegetables, and fruit could be anything but healthy.

It doesn't really matter whether cavemen ate this way or not. I guess as an alternative you could call it the "shop around the outside of the store" diet.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-22-2011 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
It doesn't really matter whether cavemen ate this way or not. I guess as an alternative you could call it the "shop around the outside of the store" diet.
I think what a lot of people react to with this, is not the data on its success (unlike Caloriecounting/ww or lowcarb/atkins, I haven't seen much in the way of studies on this) but to the "evolutionary" arguments. Which are pretty weak, for reasons anon and others have pointed out. But as you say, even if this has nothing to do with actual paleolithic lifestyles, it (or a variation of "it") might still work.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Right now I restrict my fruit consumption to berries (which aren't technically fruit in the botanical sense.
wait, what? Certain berries (juniper berries I believe) are not produced from the ovary of a flowering plant, and hence are not fruits, but blueberries are, and I think raspberries, etc.

I do try to eat berries in preference to some other fruits - because of their relatively low glycemic index, and because of some indications of a range of health benefits not connected to weight - I do not absolutely exclude any fruit, though I (now) limit the ones I know to have the highest glycemic indexes.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I can't see how a diet consisting almost completely of meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, vegetables, and fruit could be anything but healthy.
Depending on the mix, and on how the person's body reacts to a high intake of sat fat, I could see how for some it could be unhealthy. But who wants THAT debate again? I'm sure you didn't mean to provoke argument, but what you say implicates the most controversial issues - imagine if I had said that "I can't see how a diet consisting almost completely of whole grains, lean meats, egg whites, skim milk, nuts, olive oil, vegetables and fruits could be anything but healthy"

Thats why we get so many flame wars here - we talk happily about what makes us healthy, which turns out quite often to be something that someone else is excluding, and which exclusion is part of their happy beliefs about how they are addressing their health. I dont know the answer - its hard in a forum like this NOT to be happy about things that are working for us, which we also see supported by some data, arguments, and/or experts - but its not hard to find the stronger statements offputting to someone finding health via an opposite approach (that also works for them, and is also supported by data, arguments, and/or experts).

Lets just accept - every approach to eating COULD be unhealthy for someone - the variations among human beings, and the weakness and complexity of the empirical data, make it difficult to say otherwise.

I suspect there are a few specific foods that we could probably all agree on (olive oil is my best bet, right now) though even there I am not 100% sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss