Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not gluten intolerant - I have no problems with either bread or beer.

But of course TOO MUCH of either is likely to result in weight gain - and a flabby, poochy stomach.
Quoted for truth and agreement.

Except the beer part. I don't like beer much. But I -do- love grain-based foods, especially bread. Bagels and batards, croissants and chabata...it's all good.

However I, like Kathryn, and like _most_ people who fall into the category of "I eat bread AND I am overweight" need to keep our bread intake limited. Not eliminated, but limited. Modest portions of pasta as side-dishes rather than main courses, half-sandwich double-stuffed, instead of single-stuffed two-slice sandwiches, small pita instead of large, etc. etc.

However you normally eat bread - cut the portion sizes in half.

Overconsumption of wheat is definitely not good for you if you're trying to lose weight. But if you're needing to eliminate it because of a health issue, well - that's not a diet and weight loss issue. That's a health issue and worth including in the general health and wellness forum.

The two shouldn't be mixed together because they're different issues. There are people who don't eat any wheat, because of health aversions to it, who are overweight. Telling them to eliminate wheat would be a stupid thing to suggest, since they don't eat any in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
I limited grains in the 2000s but have actually found 100% grain free to be the ticket.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
I limited grains in the 2000s but have actually found 100% grain free to be the ticket.
That is a very hard thing to do for most people... eliminate 100% of grains in their diet. A more sound measure would be to limit them like anything else.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I have eliminiated all wheat products in my diet for 3 years now and have not gone back since. I do occasionally eat gluten free breads that are rice based. I basically have a very low carbohydrate diet that is mainly filled with fruits, vegetables, vitamin/mineral supplements, lean meats, and potatoes and rice for starch. I lost 30 pounds without trying and not increasing exercise intake during the first year of eliminating all wheat products. I am trying to eliminate dairy yet again from my diet because I get red blotches on my face, makes me feel somewhat lethargic, and depressed. So, if I do have any dairy at all it will be very little.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have eliminiated all wheat products in my diet for 3 years now and have not gone back since. I do occasionally eat gluten free breads that are rice based. I basically have a very low carbohydrate diet that is mainly filled with fruits, vegetables, vitamin/mineral supplements, lean meats, and potatoes and rice for starch. I lost 30 pounds without trying and not increasing exercise intake during the first year of eliminating all wheat products. I am trying to eliminate dairy yet again from my diet because I get red blotches on my face, makes me feel somewhat lethargic, and depressed. So, if I do have any dairy at all it will be very little.
It's important to make the distinction between carbs and starch though. Starches are a -type- of carbohydrate. Sugar is another type, and fructose, which is in fruits, is a type of sugar. So if you're eating lots of fruits, and eating potatoes and rice, you're not really eating a low-carb diet at all. You're getting plenty of carbs; you're just getting it in whole foods rather than over-processed foods.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's important to make the distinction between carbs and starch though. Starches are a -type- of carbohydrate. Sugar is another type, and fructose, which is in fruits, is a type of sugar. So if you're eating lots of fruits, and eating potatoes and rice, you're not really eating a low-carb diet at all. You're getting plenty of carbs; you're just getting it in whole foods rather than over-processed foods.
My basic staple is one baked potato every other day and apples, (non soy coated), blueberries, grapes, etc for fruits every day. I consider it a very low carbohydrate diet. The only other starch for carb that I eat is corn, preferably GMO free- although I will occasionally have wraps. I had a rare treat tonight, a gluten free and soy free pizza (Udi's Store Brand). I haven't had pizza in a very long time, but my typical routine is three small meals a day with vitamin and mineral supplements. I have way more energy than I had in the past and my overall level of functioning is much better now that I am not under the influence of "Brain Fog" from eating the offending food items. I am not Celiac but fall under the severely Gluten Intolerant category. Going the GFCF route was a key for me as I fall under the high functioning end of the Autism Spectrum. Not having those foods in my diet gives me the extra edge I need.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is a very hard thing to do for most people... eliminate 100% of grains in their diet. A more sound measure would be to limit them like anything else.
I have no wheat or starches in my diet for the last year. It's actually quite easy. Carbs increase cravings. Cut the carbs and the cravings go away. Perfect for me.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 PM

You're still confusing carbs and starches.

A "very low carb" diet, would be the Atkins Diet. That plan starts people out at 20 carbs per day.
A "low carb" diet would be between 50 and 70 carbs per day.
A diet that doesn't revolve around carbs, but is instead designed around healthy, balanced proportion of a variety of food types and isn't trying to help anyone lose weight, based on a 2000-calorie diet for someone who burns off calories with exercise, would be around 250 carbs per day.

When you eat *one* medium apple you're eating 15 carbs.
When you eat one cup of grapes, you're eating between 16 and 28 carbs, depending on the type of grape.
When you eat *one* potato, you're eating 35 carbs.
When you eat one cup of corn, you're eating between 15-25 carbs, depending on the preparation.

If you eat one potato every other day, that day, is not "very low carb" even if you eat zero carbs for the rest of the day.
If you add one cup of grapes, and one apple, you're already no longer in the "low carb" category.
If you aren't eating a potato that day, but you have one cup of grapes, one ear of corn, and one medium apple, you're consuming an average of 60 carbs, just on those three items.

And that's assuming you consume no OTHER carbs, for the rest of that day.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:25 PM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
It's easy.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
I do not need to cut anything out of my diet so its not really about me. I have been at the same healthy weight for years and I am an omnivore. If not eating grains or wheat is your deal fine, but its very hard for most people, and quite frankly totally unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss