Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM

467 posts, read 664,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I do not need to cut anything out of my diet so its not really about me. I have been at the same healthy weight for years and I am an omnivore. If not eating grains or wheat is your deal fine, but its very hard for most people, and quite frankly totally unnecessary.
If it's unnecessary, why has there been so much participation on this thread? Also, why can't people lose weight and keep the weight off? I personally think grains have something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're still confusing carbs and starches.

A "very low carb" diet, would be the Atkins Diet. That plan starts people out at 20 carbs per day.
A "low carb" diet would be between 50 and 70 carbs per day.
A diet that doesn't revolve around carbs, but is instead designed around healthy, balanced proportion of a variety of food types and isn't trying to help anyone lose weight, based on a 2000-calorie diet for someone who burns off calories with exercise, would be around 250 carbs per day.

When you eat *one* medium apple you're eating 15 carbs.
When you eat one cup of grapes, you're eating between 16 and 28 carbs, depending on the type of grape.
When you eat *one* potato, you're eating 35 carbs.
When you eat one cup of corn, you're eating between 15-25 carbs, depending on the preparation.

If you eat one potato every other day, that day, is not "very low carb" even if you eat zero carbs for the rest of the day.
If you add one cup of grapes, and one apple, you're already no longer in the "low carb" category.
If you aren't eating a potato that day, but you have one cup of grapes, one ear of corn, and one medium apple, you're consuming an average of 60 carbs, just on those three items.

And that's assuming you consume no OTHER carbs, for the rest of that day.
Atkins only restricts carbs to 20 grams of carbs a day for the induction phase, which only lasts for a minimum of two weeks.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
If it's unnecessary, why has there been so much participation on this thread? Also, why can't people lose weight and keep the weight off? I personally think grains have something to do with it.
If that was true, then there would be no fat people who don't eat grains. Since some people who don't eat grains get fat anyway, then it can't be the grains that's causing people to get fat.

Here's what's making them get fat:

Eating TOO MUCH grains, eating TOO MUCH fats, eating TOO MUCH proteins, eating TOO MUCH of all kinds of things...

AND not exercising appropriately for their consumption.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Atkins only restricts carbs to 20 grams of carbs a day for the induction phase, which only lasts for a minimum of two weeks.
Don't nitpick. The Atkin's diet is considered a very low carb diet. It STARTS PEOPLE OUT (which is what I said, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to repeat it in response to me, as if you assumed I didn't know this) at under 20 carbs per day.

It adds 5 carbs to the maximum allowable carbs per day, per week. So a month later, and they're allowed to have up to 40 carbs per day. That is STILL considered a low-carb diet, which is what I was comparing to the person I was responding to, who insisted she's consuming a "very low carb diet" but including potatoes, corn, and fruit in her daily meals, which means - she is NOT eating a "very low carb" diet, and probably not even a "low carb" diet.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Don't nitpick. The Atkin's diet is considered a very low carb diet. It STARTS PEOPLE OUT (which is what I said, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to repeat it in response to me, as if you assumed I didn't know this) at under 20 carbs per day.

It adds 5 carbs to the maximum allowable carbs per day, per week. So a month later, and they're allowed to have up to 40 carbs per day. That is STILL considered a low-carb diet, which is what I was comparing to the person I was responding to, who insisted she's consuming a "very low carb diet" but including potatoes, corn, and fruit in her daily meals, which means - she is NOT eating a "very low carb" diet, and probably not even a "low carb" diet.
I just think you should have your facts right if you are going to speak with authority on this subject. And your post is misleading: you describe Atkins as a "very low carb" diet because it starts at 20 grams of carbs a day but describe "low carb" diets as being between 50-70 carbs a day. If someone follows the phases of Atkins and adds in carbs as prescribed, they will likely at some point be in the 50-70 carb a day range, some even more if they don't gain weight.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,655 times
I feel better on the Atkins diet, cutting out all grains and sugar. You are supposed to gradually add different food groups back into your diet, and up the total carb count, in order to find the point where you best maintain your healthy weight. Everyone's tolerance is different. I do find that when I cut out the grains, my stomach does get flatter. I don;t even really eat fewer calories on Atkins, so I do think it't the quality of the calories -- the good fats being the much of those calories.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
Quote:
If that was true, then there would be no fat people who don't eat grains. Since some people who don't eat grains get fat anyway, then it can't be the grains that's causing people to get fat.

Here's what's making them get fat:

Eating TOO MUCH grains, eating TOO MUCH fats, eating TOO MUCH proteins, eating TOO MUCH of all kinds of things...

AND not exercising appropriately for their consumption.
There are few or no people in America who restrict grains. Restricting grains tends to be more the habit of motivated types such as myself who already have a plan to get and stay thin.......... I have found even 1 slice of pizza a week detrimental to my goals. And no, exercise does not help, unless it is very intense, and then it can backfire and stop working. Just my experience! A grain free diet is less stressful, more effective and less time wasting.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Just came across this link to an interview with Dr. Wheat Belly:

Fat Head » Dr. William “Wheat Belly” Davis on CBS

Interesting stuff.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Because they stop 'dieting'. People will go back to old eating habits once the weight comes off. Calorie creep happens and before you know it you are eating too much.
There is no demon food out there ready to set a trap for you to gain weight. If you watch calorie intake you can virtually eat anything you want. A diet of all the food groups using moderation and learning to make good food choices will be a 'diet' that lasts a lifetime. Eliminating food groups is really hard for most people to do in the long run. Its a set up for failure when they go back to the foods they have missed. Why make anything off limits? Its pointless. If you are the type of person that can eliminate a food group for the rest of your life then more power to you, but understand you are the exception and not the rule.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right that grains have something to do with it. Modern wheat bears no resemblance to the wheat consumed by those in the US 50 years ago. You can thank dwarf hybrid high yield wheat varieties that have a much higher glycemic index compared to a traditional wheat found in Ezekiel breads. Bascially, eating the present equivalent of two slices of whole grain bread produces the same glycemic effect on blood sugar as eating processed baked goods or dessert. That is why so many people get tired or sleepy after having a carbohydrate dense meal as many of those carbs were grains... The food pyramid needs a drastic revision as well. They need to revise that and cut down the unhealthy whole grains servings per day by 2/3 to 3/4 and keep the servings of fruits and vegetables the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss