Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post
Wheat just has less carbs than white bread. Nothing that says its good for you because it's wheat. The French don't eat wheat bread, they eat French white bread. The Japanese don't eat wheat brown rice, they eat white rice. Indian/Persian restaurants don't serve 100% whole wheat naan. America invented wheat everything, and the government controls what people think about wheat.
Erm, white bread is made out of wheat flour. It IS wheat. The French DO eat wheat bread - their bread is made from wheat flour. There's no such thing as wheat brown rice, so of course the Japanese don't eat it. Neither does anyone else, because it doesn't exist.

Perhaps you're confusing the word "wheat" with the phrase "whole wheat." Wheat bread has exactly the same number of carbs as white bread, because white bread is made out of wheat flour. *Whole wheat bread* might or might not have the same number of carbs, depending on which brand of bread you're talking about, and whether or not it's sprouted wheat or not, and what other things are added to the dough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM

141 posts, read 278,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Erm, white bread is made out of wheat flour. It IS wheat. The French DO eat wheat bread - their bread is made from wheat flour. There's no such thing as wheat brown rice, so of course the Japanese don't eat it. Neither does anyone else, because it doesn't exist.

Perhaps you're confusing the word "wheat" with the phrase "whole wheat." Wheat bread has exactly the same number of carbs as white bread, because white bread is made out of wheat flour. *Whole wheat bread* might or might not have the same number of carbs, depending on which brand of bread you're talking about, and whether or not it's sprouted wheat or not, and what other things are added to the dough.
Wheat, Whole-Wheat, 100% Whole-Wheat. Same thing. American is obsessed with it. Don't twist my words for a history lesson. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Wheat just has less carbs than white bread. Nothing that says its good for you because it's wheat. The French don't eat wheat bread, they eat French white bread. The Japanese don't eat wheat brown rice, they eat white rice. Indian/Persian restaurants don't serve 100% whole wheat naan. America invented wheat everything, and the government controls what people think about wheat.
I didn't twist your words. I corrected your erroneous statements.

You said: Wheat just has less carbs than white bread.

I said: that is not true, because and white bread IS wheat.

You did *not* say "whole wheat bread is less carbs than white wheat bread" and if you did, I would've corrected you on that as well, because it depends on who's making the bread and what *else* they're putting into it.

You're the one who said "The Japanese don't eat wheat brown rice." I corrected you, because there is no such thing as wheat brown rice.

I'm not twisting anything. Perhaps pause after typing a response to people, before hitting the enter button, and make sure that what you're telling people is correct. And then, no one will feel the compulsion to correct you.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
Quote:
In all due respect, I think you are confusing "whole grain" with the word "wheat."

"Whole grain" brown rice makes sense, while "wheat" brown rice is not accurate. Rice has no wheat. White rice is simply made by polishing off the outer layers of whole grain brown rice.

The french do eat "wheat" bread, but not as often "whole grain" wheat bread. White flour is simply wheat flour that has been stripped & bleached, removing the outer bran layer and the germ.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
This is a tough time of year for those that don't or avoid eating wheat. Avoid tempetations.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I am now down to 10 stone 2 or 142 pounds since eliminating wheat and that is a loss of 2 stone compared to 3 years ago. Portions sizes of everything else are similar. I've always had around 3 smaller size meals a day without much snacking.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
I don't miss wheat.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM

193 posts, read 407,924 times
I am 48 & for the last 15 years or so I have had a nice pot belly. Always thought it was beer or other alcohol. I used to eat an Ok diet, ran 7 half marathons last year & just couldn't get below about 215 at 6 ft tall. 5 months ago I decided to cut out all grains & sugar & the belly disappeared in about 3 months. I am at a steady 190 for the past 6 weeks. I hadn't seen my mother in about 4 months & at Thanksgiving she was astounded I had lost my belly. I still drink wine most nights & get good regular exercise but it was cutting the grains & sugar that did it for me

Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
And I've already stated that caloric intake, portion size, etc are very important. Europeans eat breads that are different than those consumed in the US. They also don't have a deeply ingrained auto dependent culture as well. The US would be wise to emulate the built environment and planning of some European cities and villages that are human scaled and not auto scaled. I disagree about letting commercial ag giants ConAgra and Monsanto off the hook. They are a big part of the problem in the US because of the continuing centralization of our commercial agricultural economy that is putting many smaller family run farms out of business. That is why I strongly support local farms when possible. ConAgra and Monsatan are big into frankenfoods and chemicals that just aren't healthy. Hundreds of ingredients per food product, particularly frozen items is abhorent. People still buy the products, though...
Perfectly said.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Been off all wheat for about 2 weeks now due to a weird rash that no doctor can seem to diagnose. I've been miserable for about 3 months now, and a friend suggested I read "Wheat Belly" and that maybe I should try getting off wheat and see what happens to the rash and the 100 extra pounds I carry and can't seem to lose no matter what I try.

Two weeks and I already feel lighter and less bloated. Rash still there, but apparently it takes a few MONTHS for it to go away if it is in fact caused by wheat.

One big thing I have noticed that no one else has mentioned is that my appetite has diminished greatly. I no longer feel famished and need to take two or three helpings of food to feel full. Coincidence?? I think not. The book does talk about this.

I'm hoping people will chime in again now that I've updated the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss