Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

The problem is not just the wheat - it's the YEAST being used today! For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, breads were leavened by "wild yeast" creating sourdough, then Louis Pasteur isolated one strain of yeast which was the most powerful and dominant and created modern baker's yeast, which has really only been in predominant use since after WWII.

Letting breads rise using a long ferment with a sourdough culture breaks down "phytic acid" which inhibits the absorption of minerals in the wheat and grains. Sourdough has a low glycemic load, allowing many diabetics to eat it without a spike in glucose. Even some people with wheat sensitivities are able to eat some sourdough. Here is a great article that explains it in more detail for those who are interested:

Using Sourdough to Lower the Glycemic Index of Everyday Baked Goods » Ellen's Food & Soul

I will say that since I have started making and eating my own sourdough bread products (bread, waffles, pancakes, etc) I feel much better, am losing weight and BELLY GOING DOWN, and no longer have the weird itching and heart palpitations I used to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,389 times
We absolutely eat less fat than in generations past (well, as a society as a whole, not me personally ). Did you not have a grandmother who cooked everything in butter? Used lard or shortening frequently? Would faint at the thought of fat-free milk? Maybe even ground her own meat using a manual meat grinder, certainly not cutting off the fat before doing so? Only very recently (as far as human life goes) have we been meddling with fat consumption by introducing such bastardizations as margarine, skim milk, fat-free cheeses, eating egg whites without the yolks, fat-free condiments (salad dressings, mayonnaise, etc.), and so on, all under the guise of being healthy for us.

I make a trip to a specific store to buy full-fat plain Greek yogurt. VERY few stores carry full-fat yogurts. Many areas don't have it available at all. I was comparing baby foods at the grocery store this afternoon (I have a 10-month-old), and there was one made with skim milk. Why in the world would one feed an infant skim milk?! Oh, because current authoritative "experts" claim fat is bad. The fat has been sucked out of so many things, and the things that DO still contain fat typically contain the worst possible kinds (soybean oil, corn oil, etc. - super high in Omega 6s, increasing inflammation in the body which can lead to *gasp* obesity, type 2 diabetes, clogged arteries...). The fight against dietary fat has made US fatter.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
The fight against dietary fat has made US fatter.
I wholeheartedly agree. I can remember when they started harping on it and guess what happened next? You got it--America collectively gained 20 lbs and that was just in the first decade. We've only gotten fatter since then. And yeah, it irritates the fire out of me that I can't buy full-fat yogurt in the grocery store--I settled for the low fat Greek stuff for lunch yesterday and barely gagged my way thru it.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. I can remember when they started harping on it and guess what happened next? You got it--America collectively gained 20 lbs and that was just in the first decade. We've only gotten fatter since then. And yeah, it irritates the fire out of me that I can't buy full-fat yogurt in the grocery store--I settled for the low fat Greek stuff for lunch yesterday and barely gagged my way thru it.
It's not because we're eating less fat though. It's because we're eating more of everything else. Fat isn't the only fattening food.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not because we're eating less fat though. It's because we're eating more of everything else. Fat isn't the only fattening food.
Very true....when manufacturers take out the fat so they can market a food as "low-fat", they usually put in substantially more sugar (often corn syrup) and salt...so that the consumer doesn't notice the missing fat because they are so addicted to the sugar.

The end result is often worse than if the manufacturers would use more fat - more weight gained and peaks and dramatic lows in blood sugar that signal more snacking, especially sugar centered snacking, as well as greater salt intake.

It is nearly impossible to find full-fat yogurt - I agree with that. My daughter in law needs the full-fat yogurt and search as I might, I can't seem to find it for her at the market. Locall daries in our area prdoce full-fat yogurt drinks and that is about as close as I got....but lots of sugar and calories in those yogurt drinks.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Very true....when manufacturers take out the fat so they can market a food as "low-fat", they usually put in substantially more sugar (often corn syrup) and salt...so that the consumer doesn't notice the missing fat because they are so addicted to the sugar.

The end result is often worse than if the manufacturers would use more fat - more weight gained and peaks and dramatic lows in blood sugar that signal more snacking, especially sugar centered snacking, as well as greater salt intake.

It is nearly impossible to find full-fat yogurt - I agree with that. My daughter in law needs the full-fat yogurt and search as I might, I can't seem to find it for her at the market. Locall daries in our area prdoce full-fat yogurt drinks and that is about as close as I got....but lots of sugar and calories in those yogurt drinks.
I've never had full-fat yogurt. I've never even seen it in the supermarkets. Until reading about it on C-D, I assumed yogurt's default was low-fat. I used to like Dannon strawberry yogurt, but they changed the packaging and now it just doesn't taste right anymore. I switched to Columbo, but Columbo no longer offers individual-sized single-pack servings in strawberry. I switched again to YoCrunch strawberry-banana, but I can't seem to find that anymore either. I tried a Greek yogurt but can't stand the consistency.

I'll have to just stop eating yogurt entirely until they come back around the cycle again to normal single-serve non-greek low-fat (not fat-free) strawberry/strawberry-banana again.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
True, but they promised us that if we took the fat down that we could eat more food. So we did that and started exercising too. I mean, do you remember your folks or grandfolks going out for a jog? And we replaced the fat with carbs which drove up our blood sugars and caused us to eat more and here we are. I watched The Bad Seed (1957) yesterday with some high school kids and was amazed at how slim and healthy looking the actors were. Now I realize that Hollywood actors generally have slimmer figures than the rest of us but they were slimmer than Hollywood actors today.

Quote:
I've never had full-fat yogurt. I've never even seen it in the supermarkets. Until reading about it on C-D, I assumed yogurt's default was low-fat. I used to like Dannon strawberry yogurt, but they changed the packaging and now it just doesn't taste right anymore. I switched to Columbo, but Columbo no longer offers individual-sized single-pack servings in strawberry. I switched again to YoCrunch strawberry-banana, but I can't seem to find that anymore either. I tried a Greek yogurt but can't stand the consistency.
Don't know what Greek yogurt you tried but I love, love, love FAGE yogurt, which is the national brand in Greece. It's perfect drizzled with honey and now I can't stand the consistency of commercial low fat yogurts b/c they're so artificially smooth--I think they use that same slime stuff that is used in horror flicks. And yes, yogurt's default is low-fat and I have a hard time finding my FAGE sometimes, even in the stores that I know carry it.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM

Yeah we get Fage here too, it's pretty popular. The only reason I buy it is to make tziziki. I just don't like thick custardy yogurt, as yogurt. I like the gloppy syrupy type. Except for some reason I still like Dannon, on rare occasions, which has what can only be described as milky chunks in it. They're not curds - at least I don't think they are. They're just - thicker bits of milk than the rest of the yogurt.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
I am probably older than some of you...I grew up eating plain unflavored full fat yogurt. It was readily available at the market. We ate it with canned apricots or fresh peaches sprinkled with a little brown sugar...the yogurt was medium thick (not overly thick or thin) tangy and it was delicious.

It is interesting how the mouthfeel of foods is really important in determining individual food preferences...I am not overly fond of foods that are too chunky or too thick.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The problem is not just the wheat - it's the YEAST being used today! For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, breads were leavened by "wild yeast" creating sourdough, then Louis Pasteur isolated one strain of yeast which was the most powerful and dominant and created modern baker's yeast, which has really only been in predominant use since after WWII.

Letting breads rise using a long ferment with a sourdough culture breaks down "phytic acid" which inhibits the absorption of minerals in the wheat and grains. Sourdough has a low glycemic load, allowing many diabetics to eat it without a spike in glucose. Even some people with wheat sensitivities are able to eat some sourdough. Here is a great article that explains it in more detail for those who are interested:

Using Sourdough to Lower the Glycemic Index of Everyday Baked Goods » Ellen's Food & Soul

I will say that since I have started making and eating my own sourdough bread products (bread, waffles, pancakes, etc) I feel much better, am losing weight and BELLY GOING DOWN, and no longer have the weird itching and heart palpitations I used to have.
hmmm....interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss