Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post

I make a trip to a specific store to buy full-fat plain Greek yogurt. VERY few stores carry full-fat yogurts. The fight against dietary fat has made US fatter.
It really irks me that all the yogurt is fat free...don't they realize in order to absorb the healthy bacteria in yogurt you MUST have fat???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
[quote=stepka;27967042]I was rereading my book and picked up on something that I had missed before. QUOTE]

I'm on my second trip through the book and picked up soooo much more than the first time.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The problem is not just the wheat - it's the YEAST being used today! For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, breads were leavened by "wild yeast" creating sourdough, then Louis Pasteur isolated one strain of yeast which was the most powerful and dominant and created modern baker's yeast, which has really only been in predominant use since after WWII.

Letting breads rise using a long ferment with a sourdough culture breaks down "phytic acid" which inhibits the absorption of minerals in the wheat and grains. Sourdough has a low glycemic load, allowing many diabetics to eat it without a spike in glucose. Even some people with wheat sensitivities are able to eat some sourdough. Here is a great article that explains it in more detail for those who are interested:

Using Sourdough to Lower the Glycemic Index of Everyday Baked Goods » Ellen's Food & Soul

I will say that since I have started making and eating my own sourdough bread products (bread, waffles, pancakes, etc) I feel much better, am losing weight and BELLY GOING DOWN, and no longer have the weird itching and heart palpitations I used to have.
I meant to address this sooner as it is interesting to me. I've heard of this theory and have a pot of sourdough in my own fridge--I love sourdough biscuits and pancakes. I can imagine what the Wheat Belly doc would say though and it's that the wheat we eat today is completely changed from what people ate just 50 years ago and has much more gluten than it did in the sourdough days and this is why people are having so many more problems. It's not just the blood sugar effects--it even hurts your brain.

Can you tell me what you mean by weird itching too? I may have that as well but I'm not sure what you mean.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I meant to address this sooner as it is interesting to me. I've heard of this theory and have a pot of sourdough in my own fridge--I love sourdough biscuits and pancakes. I can imagine what the Wheat Belly doc would say though and it's that the wheat we eat today is completely changed from what people ate just 50 years ago and has much more gluten than it did in the sourdough days and this is why people are having so many more problems. It's not just the blood sugar effects--it even hurts your brain.

Can you tell me what you mean by weird itching too? I may have that as well but I'm not sure what you mean.
I mean I had CONSTANT itching on my back, with no rash or bug bites or any apparent cause and it drove me mad. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it has gone away when I stopped the yeast products.

There are some good articles about sourdough and it's benefits on the web. It's interesting to note, that in Europe and other countries a lot of bread is still being made in more traditional ways, where it is given a long ferment and not just "exploded" with the commercial yeast. One of the article on the web studied what happens to the starch molecules with bakers yeast, and found that they are literally "exploded" and are IDENTICAL TO CANCER CELLS! I thought that was very interesting.

At any rate, my husband and I are enjoying the sourdough things I make, and they seem to help digestion, also. It is important to remember that it is NOT enough to just "add" the sourdough starter and instantly bake something - it MUST be given a very long rise (in other words "soaked") This gives the wild yeasts time to digest the glutens and starches in the wheat.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
This has been an interesting read.

I was diagnosed with diabetes last month and cut out the bad carbs. When I saw the regular doctor, one of the things he mentioned was to think about eliminating wheat.
I didn't question it because at the time, and at this time, I've given up white flour, and sweets cold turkey and eliminating something else seemed overwhelming.

A couple of days ago someone on Facebook was talking about the dangers of wheat and at first, I thought it was a bunch of BS but I've been reading about it and I've read the comments on here. I was allergic to wheat when I was a kid but I outgrew it or at least I think I did.

Within the past couple of days, I've decided to cut back on wheat products but I'm not ready to give it up completely right now. I want to see if I see some kind of difference. I had an english muffin this morning and not sure how it made me feel or if there was a difference.

Anyway, I'm in the process of learning about a healthy diet after eating a bad diet all these years.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
By the way, will someone please explain if there is a difference between wheat products and whole grain wheat? Some of the articles I've read seem to think there is a difference but I think I saw someone mention in this thread that there is not a difference as far as being chemically modified.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
When I saw the regular doctor, one of the things he mentioned was to think about eliminating wheat.
Had to comment on this after I read the below article in the health section of our newspaper last week. Maybe there's some merit to eliminating wheat. At first I found it hard to understand, given all the focus on wheat, the necessity of fiber, wheat being crucial to a healthy diet, etc.
5 Questions: Diet advice that goes against the grain - latimes.com

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Fiber -is- necessary for a healthy human diet. Wheat is not the only fiber, and therefore, not especially necessary. But just because something isn't necessary, doesn't mean it's bad for you. Wheat is bad for people who have problems with wheat. It's not bad for anyone else. And not everyone has problems with wheat. Therefore, some people don't have problems with wheat, and can eat wheat without experiencing any problems. On the other hand, many people overeat wheat products, and experience the problem of obesity. This isn't because the product is wheat. It's because the eater is eating too much.

As for the question on whether or not there's a difference between wheat and whole wheat - it's kind of like asking if there's a difference between a glass of juice and a glass of grapefruit juice. Whole wheat is the whole wheat grain. Wheat is the name of the plant that whole wheat comes from. If you're eating whole wheat, you're eating wheat. If you're eating something made out of -any- wheat, of any kind, in any form, then you are eating wheat. If you have to refrain from eating wheat, that means anything made out with wheat. It doesn't mean only whole wheat. It means all wheat.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I am not so sure it is "Wheat Belly", or the "Super Size Me" society we live in. A bagel used to be a small size, I remember eating them back in the '60's. They were small enough to fit in your hand, with a schmear of cream cheese. Now, a bagel is the size of salad plate, with a thick slab of cream cheese. A bagel that used to be 200 calories, is now about 800 or more.

Wheat products have become over processed with additional additives like High Fructose Corn Syrup, and so much other stuff, it is not the same as it used to be.

Blaming wheat for obesity is too pat. There are more issues that have contributed to obesity than just wheat products.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Wheat is bad for people who have problems with wheat. It's not bad for anyone else. And not everyone has problems with wheat. Therefore, some people don't have problems with wheat, and can eat wheat without experiencing any problems.
True. It's just that some people would never know that possibly they should not be eating wheat. I'm thinking of those with stomach problems that have been attributed to stress, IBS, etc. If eliminating wheat were to solve their problems, it's just unfortunate that this is not more commonly known.

BTW, thanks for the info on wheat itself. (Couldn't rep you again.)

Last edited by CA4Now; 02-10-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss