Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times

Advertisements

[quote=Cattknap;28344682]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is interesting...look at this Mayo Clinic Diabetic Diet..
Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - MayoClinic.com

It is loaded with carbs and sugar. I literally could not believe it. Pancakes for breakfast, rice....with juice for lunch...and pasta for dinner. Carb overload....talk about "wheat belly"...I am not a dietician...but seemed crazy to me.
I was thinking about that today and wondering why the ADA diet is so loaded with carbs and this is what I came up with. First of all it gives in to the way that most people in America eat already, as in, what is the easiest diet you can put together at the supermarket and that most can afford and will follow? Unfortunately this is also how most get diabetic in the first place. Second of all, it standardizes the BS level of diabetes patients so that they can administer meds for the tightest control. Like if they give you avandia but you're eating low carb, you run a risk of becoming hypoglycemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,308 times
ugh, I'm getting so frustrated and confused, friends of the forum.

Like I said before, I have noticed a marked decrease in appetite since stopping wheat. I am no longer ravenous like I was before. Coincidence? Maybe. All in my head? Also maybe. But I tend to not believe in either.

I'm frustrated b/c I'm not losing the weight like I thought I would, and I don't know why. I'm eating WAYYYYYYYY less than I was...so shouldn't my calorie count be way lower (for all you it's the calories that matter folks)?

I'm also eating wayyyy fewer carbs, in that I have tried the gluten free pastas and breads and yuk, just yuk (I think it makes it harder that I'm Italian LOL) so the only carbs I'm eating are from rice and potatoes (and not a ton of them like before)

Now I'm finding all these negative reviews and such about Wheat Belly and wondering if I'm just spinning my wheels...but then I think if I go back to eating wheat then I go back to that voracious appetite as well.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Is there an answer? I'm tired of it all.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
The answer is to stop obsessing on micromanaging your diet. You should avoid wheat IF wheat is causing problems for you. If it isn't causing problems for you, then there's no reason to avoid it.

IF eating TOO much wheat causes problems, but eating only SOME wheat doesn't cause problems, then - dundundun - only eat SOME wheat. Rocket science, this is not.

Why not document what you ARE eating, and what kinds of exercising you're doing (and for how long each day or each week if it's not daily)? Maybe there will be some blaring error you're making, that we'll be able to see and point out to you, that you're not noticing.

Such as - when you say "not tons of it" with regards to rice and potatoes - that's subjective. It means nothing. If you were eating 2 pounds of coated seasoned deep-fried french fries with ketchup every day, and now you're only eating half a pound of it every day, you're still eating around half a pound too much, every day. But if you cut back from the two pounds, to a single baked potato only once a week with no more than a single tablespoon of butter and no sour cream, then it's not the potato that's the problem, and we can look at something else.

That's just a hypothetical giving an example of the "overdoing" extreme, vs. the "it won't kill you to have another one" extreme.

It's possible that you're consuming too FEW calories. But at this point, you're confusing starches with carbs with calories with wheat with potatoes and you're just getting very mixed up, and probably eating very unhealthily.

WRITE DOWN your meals, every day. Write down the portion sizes. If you're having one ice-cream-sized scoop of mashed potatoes, write that down. If those potatoes have a soup-ladel's worth of gravy on it, write THAT down. Here's a sample of a single meal:

1 chicken breast, roasted, skin/bone ON
3 scoops mashed taters
2 ladle Heinz canned chicken gravy (1 for taters, 1 for chicken)
2 serving forks-full asparagus, steamed, with butter sauce
1/4 loaf (3 slices) of garlic bread
1 salad bowl romaine salad with carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, black olives.
3 tablespoons home made dressing with mayo and bleu cheese
1 16-ounce glass Pepsi
1/8 (1 slice) of an apple pie
1 scoop vanilla ice cream

And with that, what I would suggest is to make it just 1 scoop mashed taters, 1 tablespoon gravy for the taters, and 2 tablespoons for the chicken. And to remove the skin and only eat the meat from the chicken. And to skip the ice cream entirely, and have only half of that slice of apple pie. And to change up that dressing to a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and to add the blue cheese crumbles right to the salad instead of making dressing out of it. I'd suggest adding some baby spinach to that salad too. I'd suggest MORE asparagus, but not more of the sauce, and replace the pepsi with water with the juice of a whole lemon and a little honey in it (home made old fashioned lemonade). I would also include a thin slice of zucchini bread with cranberry butter smeared on it, instead of the garlic bread or even instead of whole grain bread.

What I'm suggesting is more nutritionally dense food, even if it has more fat, or even more carbs. It might have more of those things, but it also have more nutrition (vitamins, minerals, protein, iron, fiber). And you'll feel fuller with less food overall, when you're packing every bite with nutrition.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 PM

wow anon, are you a dietician? If not perhaps you should be.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The answer is to stop obsessing on micromanaging your diet. You should avoid wheat IF wheat is causing problems for you. If it isn't causing problems for you, then there's no reason to avoid it.

IF eating TOO much wheat causes problems, but eating only SOME wheat doesn't cause problems, then - dundundun - only eat SOME wheat. Rocket science, this is not.

Why not document what you ARE eating, and what kinds of exercising you're doing (and for how long each day or each week if it's not daily)? Maybe there will be some blaring error you're making, that we'll be able to see and point out to you, that you're not noticing.

Such as - when you say "not tons of it" with regards to rice and potatoes - that's subjective. It means nothing. If you were eating 2 pounds of coated seasoned deep-fried french fries with ketchup every day, and now you're only eating half a pound of it every day, you're still eating around half a pound too much, every day. But if you cut back from the two pounds, to a single baked potato only once a week with no more than a single tablespoon of butter and no sour cream, then it's not the potato that's the problem, and we can look at something else.

That's just a hypothetical giving an example of the "overdoing" extreme, vs. the "it won't kill you to have another one" extreme.

It's possible that you're consuming too FEW calories. But at this point, you're confusing starches with carbs with calories with wheat with potatoes and you're just getting very mixed up, and probably eating very unhealthily.

WRITE DOWN your meals, every day. Write down the portion sizes. If you're having one ice-cream-sized scoop of mashed potatoes, write that down. If those potatoes have a soup-ladel's worth of gravy on it, write THAT down. Here's a sample of a single meal:

1 chicken breast, roasted, skin/bone ON
3 scoops mashed taters
2 ladle Heinz canned chicken gravy (1 for taters, 1 for chicken)
2 serving forks-full asparagus, steamed, with butter sauce
1/4 loaf (3 slices) of garlic bread
1 salad bowl romaine salad with carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, black olives.
3 tablespoons home made dressing with mayo and bleu cheese
1 16-ounce glass Pepsi
1/8 (1 slice) of an apple pie
1 scoop vanilla ice cream

And with that, what I would suggest is to make it just 1 scoop mashed taters, 1 tablespoon gravy for the taters, and 2 tablespoons for the chicken. And to remove the skin and only eat the meat from the chicken. And to skip the ice cream entirely, and have only half of that slice of apple pie. And to change up that dressing to a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and to add the blue cheese crumbles right to the salad instead of making dressing out of it. I'd suggest adding some baby spinach to that salad too. I'd suggest MORE asparagus, but not more of the sauce, and replace the pepsi with water with the juice of a whole lemon and a little honey in it (home made old fashioned lemonade). I would also include a thin slice of zucchini bread with cranberry butter smeared on it, instead of the garlic bread or even instead of whole grain bread.

What I'm suggesting is more nutritionally dense food, even if it has more fat, or even more carbs. It might have more of those things, but it also have more nutrition (vitamins, minerals, protein, iron, fiber). And you'll feel fuller with less food overall, when you're packing every bite with nutrition.
Bolded for being blatantly contradictory.

What is it about your own voice you like the sound of so much, anyway?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Diet micromanagement involves getting into the molecular structure of food products, and NOT about portion control. Perhaps if you knew that, you wouldn't derail the thread in an attempt to insult me.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Bolded for being blatantly contradictory.

Exactly. Well put.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
ugh, I'm getting so frustrated and confused, friends of the forum.

Like I said before, I have noticed a marked decrease in appetite since stopping wheat. I am no longer ravenous like I was before. Coincidence? Maybe. All in my head? Also maybe. But I tend to not believe in either.

I'm frustrated b/c I'm not losing the weight like I thought I would, and I don't know why. I'm eating WAYYYYYYYY less than I was...so shouldn't my calorie count be way lower (for all you it's the calories that matter folks)?

I'm also eating wayyyy fewer carbs, in that I have tried the gluten free pastas and breads and yuk, just yuk (I think it makes it harder that I'm Italian LOL) so the only carbs I'm eating are from rice and potatoes (and not a ton of them like before)

Now I'm finding all these negative reviews and such about Wheat Belly and wondering if I'm just spinning my wheels...but then I think if I go back to eating wheat then I go back to that voracious appetite as well.

Are we twins? I feel the same way! I thought if I stopped pasta and bread, the weight would magically come off. Wrong. I am doing Paleo now, no dairy, not buying cheese. So...all the food I really like...gone. I know we eat to live...blah blah... want a big bowl of pasta.

I have lost 15 pounds in three months. Well....I guess, at least it is not going up.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post

Yes, a diet rich in whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables with, if you want, small amounts of meat and nuts. Oils, butter, refined sugar, etc should be minimized.

The author of Wheat Belly can't even manage his own weight.......

Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I actually find AnonChick's posts very informative (not just on this subforum). I've learned a lot by reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss