Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
follow the money if you want to know who is telling you lies.

20yrsinBranson
The money is very solidly in Mercola's pockets. He doesn't have to pay out dividends to stockholders. He gets to keep every cent he makes selling his own products, and space on his website to crackpots, frauds, and scammers. He is not held accountable for most of what he does - although he was, for some things, and he paid the fines quickly and went right back to his conspiracies.

Do what you advise, yourself: Follow the money if you want to know who's telling you lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,228 times
We can all say how wheat/carbs are bad for us because it's the new diet trend. Of course it's bad for you, that is if you eat it in excess. What matters is having a well-balanced nutritious diet.

Using tomato basil bread on a sandwich or eating pasta for dinner once a week isn't going to harm you. Unless you have a gluten intolerance or Celiac's Disease, there is no reason cut out wheat completely from your diet.

This wheat/carb free diet really reminds me of the 90s fat free diet fad. Watch that 10 years from now it'll be another food group or element that will be bad.

I can't officially speak for other people, but I really think all these people who say they feel so much better after eliminating wheat from their diet are undergoing the placebo effect and psychological. They think they feel better because they were told they'd be feel better. Again, it's the same as the 90s where people felt better because they were eating only fat free foods.

GMO is a whole other issue that needs to be study more through real toxicological and epidemiological studies that contain a control group, and are peer reviewed before their published. You can't officially go around saying wheat GMO have adverse health effects because of one book a doctor wrote.

One issue that doesn't seem to be brought up in these diet books is the fact that people don't exercise enough in our society. If you really want to maintain a healthy you need to do some serious exercise at least 4-5x a week. Doing the elliptical 30 minutes isn't going to cut it. Along with nutritious eating, you need a combination of intense cardio, weights, mind-body exercises (yoga, pilates), barre, and planking/abdominal work in order to be very fit, healthy, and feel good.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
I don't have a weight problem, but eating large amounts of wheat/gluten gives me GI problems.

When I reduce it, they go away.

The first sign I ever had of this, which I did not pick up on at the time, occurred about 20 year ago when I was out at a bar drinking and I drank a pint of hefeweizen beer - which is made from wheat. Later that night and into the next day, I had a terrible case of bloating.

It took 10 more years for the more serious problems to develop.

When you do try to reduce/eliminate gluten in your diet, you quickly realize that wheat is truly one of the most common ingredients in the average American diet - sandwiches, pizza, pasta, pastries, bisquits, dinner rolls, cake, pie, wheat tortillas for burritos/etc.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
We can all say how wheat/carbs are bad for us because it's the new diet trend. Of course it's bad for you, that is if you eat it in excess. What matters is having a well-balanced nutritious diet.

Using tomato basil bread on a sandwich or eating pasta for dinner once a week isn't going to harm you. Unless you have a gluten intolerance or Celiac's Disease, there is no reason cut out wheat completely from your diet.

This wheat/carb free diet really reminds me of the 90s fat free diet fad. Watch that 10 years from now it'll be another food group or element that will be bad.

I can't officially speak for other people, but I really think all these people who say they feel so much better after eliminating wheat from their diet are undergoing the placebo effect and psychological. They think they feel better because they were told they'd be feel better. Again, it's the same as the 90s where people felt better because they were eating only fat free foods.

GMO is a whole other issue that needs to be study more through real toxicological and epidemiological studies that contain a control group, and are peer reviewed before their published. You can't officially go around saying wheat GMO have adverse health effects because of one book a doctor wrote.

One issue that doesn't seem to be brought up in these diet books is the fact that people don't exercise enough in our society. If you really want to maintain a healthy you need to do some serious exercise at least 4-5x a week. Doing the elliptical 30 minutes isn't going to cut it. Along with nutritious eating, you need a combination of intense cardio, weights, mind-body exercises (yoga, pilates), barre, and planking/abdominal work in order to be very fit, healthy, and feel good.

Excellent post!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
One issue that doesn't seem to be brought up in these diet books is the fact that people don't exercise enough in our society. If you really want to maintain a healthy you need to do some serious exercise at least 4-5x a week.
Exercise may be good for your cardiovascular health, but its not going to help much with weight loss. Gym membership in the US has skyrocketed compared to 2~3 decades ago...yet Americans are much more overweight today than 2~3 decades ago. Excessive weight is primarily a dietary problem, not a lack of exercise problem. Also, most of the diet books tell you to exercise.

Regardless, the diet advocated in "wheat belly" is just an Atkins style diet.....just another way to re-brand low-carbohydrate diets. Its funny too because the author spends so much time telling you why wheat is the source of everyone's problems, but instead of simply recommending a gluten free diet he recommends a low-carbohydrate diet.

I still don't get why anybody would listen to an overweight guy about weight loss though.....

Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm not saying that we aren't assaulted on a day by day, minute by minute, basis with foods that have been screwed up in the name of profit by the likes of Monsanto, Cargill, etc. But what I am saying is that WHEAT has been genetically modified in a particular way which is causing the problem.

20yrsinBranson
How has it been genetically modified in such a way to cause problems? Gluten sensitivity isn't something new.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

[quote=stepka;28348366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post

I was thinking about that today and wondering why the ADA diet is so loaded with carbs and this is what I came up with. First of all it gives in to the way that most people in America eat already, as in, what is the easiest diet you can put together at the supermarket and that most can afford and will follow? Unfortunately this is also how most get diabetic in the first place. Second of all, it standardizes the BS level of diabetes patients so that they can administer meds for the tightest control. Like if they give you avandia but you're eating low carb, you run a risk of becoming hypoglycemic.
I think the ADA diet needs to change a bit.

I think one thing that the hardcore low carb people don't realize,though, is that some people that might benefit from lower carb diets, simply won't comply with them. So there still has to be some options for them.

I eat lower carb, but not ultra low carb. When you travel, and eat out, or cook for your family, you can't always either order, or prepare low carb meals.

What do you mean it standardizes the BS level. Two different people can eat the same diet, and have different blood sugars. Anyone taking any sort of medication has the risk for hypoglycemia.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM

I haven't read the book.

People who have more abdominal fat in general may have more risk of diabetes, as opposed to those who have different distributions of fat. Does the author propose the increased belly fat is caused by wheat?

I have tried very low carb diets, and in my opinion they really aren't very sustainable in the long run. I eat carbs in smaller amounts, try to make wise choices when I do eat carbs. For someone like me, it doesn't matter is the carb is of wheat origin or not.

While I think that there are a small group of people they may benefit from eliminating wheat, and an even larger group that may benefit from being wiser about carbs, I think the book seems a bit overhyped.

How much reduction of carbs is being proposed in the book?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I haven't read the book.

People who have more abdominal fat in general may have more risk of diabetes, as opposed to those who have different distributions of fat. Does the author propose the increased belly fat is caused by wheat?

I have tried very low carb diets, and in my opinion they really aren't very sustainable in the long run. I eat carbs in smaller amounts, try to make wise choices when I do eat carbs. For someone like me, it doesn't matter is the carb is of wheat origin or not.

While I think that there are a small group of people they may benefit from eliminating wheat, and an even larger group that may benefit from being wiser about carbs, I think the book seems a bit overhyped.

How much reduction of carbs is being proposed in the book?
I haven't read the book either but from the snippets I've seen posted, it looks like the author isn't talking about low-carb dieting at all. It is very specifically about wheat, and processed foods made with wheat and gluten and wheat germ and everything else made out of, or using, wheat.

The to-late-didn't-read summary might be: Wheat is bad for you don't eat it mmmkay?

And that still doesn't explain how people who DON'T eat a lot of wheat, or even any wheat, can become obese. Y'know, like people with Celiac disease who can't have any wheat at all; and yet some of them are obese. Or people with known gluten intolerances who avoid wheat whenever possible, and minimize ingestion of it when it isn't possible to avoid it, and yet - some of THEM are obese too.

And then all these people all over the world who eat wheat and are NOT obese...

if wheat were truly the culprit, most people - not merely Americans, but ALL people who consume wheat - would be obese. And they just aren't. If wheat were truly the culprit, then most people in the subset of "people with Celiac, and people with gluten intolerance, and any and all other people who don't eat wheat" would be thin. And yet that is also not true.

So the theory "Wheat is the cause of belly fat" is erroneous.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
[quote=Larkspur123;28734667]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

I think the ADA diet needs to change a bit.

I think one thing that the hardcore low carb people don't realize,though, is that some people that might benefit from lower carb diets, simply won't comply with them. So there still has to be some options for them.

I eat lower carb, but not ultra low carb. When you travel, and eat out, or cook for your family, you can't always either order, or prepare low carb meals.

What do you mean it standardizes the BS level. Two different people can eat the same diet, and have different blood sugars. Anyone taking any sort of medication has the risk for hypoglycemia.
I never said any of this. You edited your quote or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss