Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM

123 posts, read 166,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why, despite more information, are people finding it harder and harder to remain lean today?
Because we have more processed foods (think high fructose corn syrup) and wheat, which has been genetically modified, is addictive. If you read Wheat Belly, and I know many of you are skeptical, Dr. Davidson actually compares the agricultural industry adding wheat to everything like the tobacco industry adding nicotine. They know it's addictive and it causes us to eat more.

I have been on the Wheat Belly plan since January and my cravings for carbs are practically zero. If I do crave a carb, I'll eat potato chips. I definitely avoid wheat at all costs. And it's in EVERYTHING when you start reading labels - even soy sauce!

There are also studies he references in the book that wheat consumption is linked to Alzheimer's, as it alters the brain's chemistry. Years ago, we didn't have so many autistic or ADHD children either. Hard for me to believe it's NOT related to wheat in some instances.

Before you dismiss the effects of wheat on your body as being benign, consider all the changes to our health in the past 50-60 years and ask yourself when the composition of wheat changed. This is not directed at you specifically, user_id, but to anyone who is still skeptical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
I am 62 and seeing so many my age and older who are packing on additional weight each year. We have a monthly get-together of friends that we attend- we take turns hosting at our various homes. My husband and I rarely eat anything that is served for refreshments. Some do put out nice veggies and fruits but the vast majority of the food is very caloric - pies, cakes, cookies, pastries, dips, chips, pastry-encased appetizers, ice cream....we watch as our friends, some of whom are diabetic, grab big plates of sweets and other high calorie foods. Many lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle. Some of us exercise but really none of the couples (but us) exercise AND carefully watch what they eat. We have experienced this same scenario both in Kentucky (where we retired) and So. California (where we spent the majority of our lives).

Staying on topic - the vast majority of the foods being consumed at these little parties are wheat (as refined white flour) and dairy based (as cream, butter, cheese) oh and lots and lots of sugar.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-12-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnNative View Post
Because we have more processed foods (think high fructose corn syrup) and wheat, which has been genetically modified, is addictive. If you read Wheat Belly, and I know many of you are skeptical, Dr. Davidson actually compares the agricultural industry adding wheat to everything like the tobacco industry adding nicotine. They know it's addictive and it causes us to eat more.

I have been on the Wheat Belly plan since January and my cravings for carbs are practically zero. If I do crave a carb, I'll eat potato chips. I definitely avoid wheat at all costs. And it's in EVERYTHING when you start reading labels - even soy sauce!

There are also studies he references in the book that wheat consumption is linked to Alzheimer's, as it alters the brain's chemistry. Years ago, we didn't have so many autistic or ADHD children either. Hard for me to believe it's NOT related to wheat in some instances.

Before you dismiss the effects of wheat on your body as being benign, consider all the changes to our health in the past 50-60 years and ask yourself when the composition of wheat changed. This is not directed at you specifically, user_id, but to anyone who is still skeptical.
Highly processed wheat should be avoided. But I am not going to buy into the whole 'avoid everything' wheat theory at all. And when you start mentioning studies about the hazards of wheat like contributing to Alzheimer's please site them.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Years ago the diagnosis of ADHD didn't exist. Nor did the diagnosis of Alzheimers. Then, the diagnoses did exist for both. And then, the methods of diagnoses were improved, which found more patients than medicine was previously able to find. Then, the categories themselves were broadened, allowing for more people to be categorized as either ADHD or Alzheimers-inflicted.

That is why there are more people diagnosed with it now, than there were years ago. The kid who used to be labeled "hyperactive and not very smart" is now "ADHD." The old man who used to be labeled "age-related senility and dementia" is now labeled "Alzheimer's."

These people have always existed. They just didn't get to wear fancy names until someone came up with them, and slapped them on their lapels.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 AM

123 posts, read 166,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
And when you start mentioning studies about the hazards of wheat like contributing to Alzheimer's please site them.
Here you go:
New Study Links Gluten Sensitivity to Brain Failure | Vanguard Neurologist

There are many studies that say wheat contributes to "brain fog". I pulled out my Wheat Belly book, and it actually says wheat exacerbates symptoms in Alzheimers and Schizophrenic patients. It may not be the cause though, so I retract my statement slightly. I was going from memory and should have double checked before posting.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 AM

639 posts, read 1,123,181 times
Quote:
Here you go:
New Study Links Gluten Sensitivity to Brain Failure | Vanguard Neurologist

There are many studies that say wheat contributes to "brain fog". I pulled out my Wheat Belly book, and it actually says wheat exacerbates symptoms in Alzheimers and Schizophrenic patients. It may not be the cause though, so I retract my statement slightly. I was going from memory and should have double checked before posting.
All that article says is that people with Celiac's Disease and gluten sensitivity are more likely to have neurological disorders. Nothing about wheat causing it. Also one study doesn't mean anything. In order for that theory to be valid and accepted by medical research community you need to see this same conclusion in multiple, well-conducted toxicological and epidemiological studies. A few statements in Wheat Belly because that is just ancedonal by one doctor..ancedotal evidence alone is not valid and allowed in real medical research.

Trust me I studied medical research in graduate school so I know what I'm talking about. Books by doctors are some of the worst sources of healthcare research because most doctors don't know how to conduct proper research (they need an extra certification or a PhD research scientists does it). Plus, doctors in general aren't that knowledgeable in nutrition. Most medical schools only require one basic course in nutrition. If you want proper nutrition advice from a healthcare provider you need to consult with a dietitian.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Highly processed wheat should be avoided. But I am not going to buy into the whole 'avoid everything' wheat theory at all. And when you start mentioning studies about the hazards of wheat like contributing to Alzheimer's please site them.
I agree with you, Lucky. Even as a Type 2 diabetic, I don't avoid all wheat (or carbs). BUT.... I have severely cut back, and that's all MOST people have to do if they aren't celiac or have a real allergy or something. What I have really cut out is the overly processed food and junk food. And I have NO cravings anymore. In fact, a lot of time I am not even really "hungry", or at least not the kind of ravenous hungry I used to be when I ate a lot of sugary processed carb foods. I enjoy eating a minimal amount of wheat products and barring a medical emergency am going to continue to do so.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Because we have more processed foods (think high fructose corn syrup) and wheat, which has been genetically modified, is addictive. If you read Wheat Belly, and I know many of you are skeptical, Dr. Davidson actually compares the agricultural industry adding wheat to everything like the tobacco industry adding nicotine.
People do eat more processed foods, but people have been consuming wheat for thousands of years without getting fat. Even many societies today that eat more traditional diets, and they are consuming the same varieties of wheat as Americans (often US imports), are lean despite eating ample amounts of wheat. Regardless, wheat has been a staple food for thousands of years....its not something people started to consume 50 years ago.

Davidson doesn't make much sense, he spends a good deal of time suggesting that wheat is a source of major problem and then.......what diet does he advocate? A wheat elimination diet? No....A gluten free diet? No...instead a low carbohydrate diet. Davidson is just another low-carb author that has wrapped his low-carb diet with a bunch of speculative claims about wheat.

As for Alzheimers, Indians have a low rate of Alzheimer's and they eat plenty of wheat.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
People do eat more processed foods, but people have been consuming wheat for thousands of years without getting fat. Even many societies today that eat more traditional diets, and they are consuming the same varieties of wheat as Americans (often US imports), are lean despite eating ample amounts of wheat. Regardless, wheat has been a staple food for thousands of years....its not something people started to consume 50 years ago.

Davidson doesn't make much sense, he spends a good deal of time suggesting that wheat is a source of major problem and then.......what diet does he advocate? A wheat elimination diet? No....A gluten free diet? No...instead a low carbohydrate diet. Davidson is just another low-carb author that has wrapped his low-carb diet with a bunch of speculative claims about wheat.

As for Alzheimers, Indians have a low rate of Alzheimer's and they eat plenty of wheat.
People have been consuming wheat for thousands of years - but they have NOT been sedentary for thousands of years. People didn't have vacuum cleaners thousands of years ago. They beat rugs with broomsticks outside their front doors. People didn't have washing machines thousands of years ago. They scrubbed clothing over rocks in the river. People didn't have indoor plumbing thousands of years ago. They hauled water in from the river, hauled logs that they split with a hand-axe to set a fire, heated the water in cauldrons, and then lifted and carried the hot water into the tubs.

People didn't drive cars thousands of years ago. They walked, or rode on mounts, or used hand-carts that they pushed, or dragged things behind them, or carried things on their shoulders or heads.

People didn't have central heat thousands of years ago. Their heat came from wood that they gathered by hand.

People didn't have hoses and sprinklers to water plants, thousands of years ago. They carried water in buckets.

People didn't have a lot of the things we have now, that makes it easy for us to NOT get any exercise. They didn't have a choice, then. They couldn't NOT bring in water. They couldn't NOT gather wood for a fire.

Now, we are trying to eat as conveniently as we live, and it isn't working. That is why we are getting fatter with our diets now, than we were thousands of years ago.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
People have been consuming wheat for thousands of years - but they have NOT been sedentary for thousands of years. People didn't have vacuum cleaners thousands of years ago. They beat rugs with broomsticks outside their front doors. People didn't have washing machines thousands of years ago....

Now, we are trying to eat as conveniently as we live, and it isn't working. That is why we are getting fatter with our diets now, than we were thousands of years ago.
I'm not sure what your point is with mentioning all the things people use to have to do manually, that doesn't tell you much about the differences in overall physical activity. After all, lifestyles were much different a few hundred years ago. In any case, the biggest increases in obesity have been over the last 40 years and there hasn't been much change in the amount of physical activity during that period.

But I'm not sure what all of this has to do with my comments which was to note that people have been consuming large amounts of wheat for thousands of years without getting fat. If wheat, in itself, promoted obesity that isn't what you'd expect.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss