Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times

Advertisements

update...

stopped the wheat in early January. For the first time yesterday had some pasta for Easter dinner. OMG, I can't even believe how horrible I felt. Bloated, gassy, nauseous, it was awful...still don't feel right today. Amazing that one exposure like that can make you so sick. And I don't even have celiac, just stopped it after reading the book.

Just wanted to share. And wondering if anyone else had this happen to them. I'm Italian. The thought of never ever having pasta (not the yucky gluten free stuff, I've tried it all and can't stand any of it) or good bread from a bakery makes me very, very sad.

But I also don't want to be very, very fat or very, very unhealthy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Interesting. I have had much the same experience. I live "wheat and dairy free", and crave it, but when I have some, it really makes me feel ill.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
My husband went on a sort of "crash diet" this past week - only protein and greens, and dropped 8 pounds and feels great! I know carbs give him a problem especially bread type stuff, it's like he's addicted and gets very heavy and bloated when he eats them.

I don't know if he will stay off them or not, seems he always goes back but it does prove a point.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Another update regarding what I've noticed people buying at the grocery store... Today I noticed that the individuals who purchased bread products of any type tended to put them right in front of their cart at eye level also tended to be overweight or obese. The quantity of the bread items in the carts tended to be correlated with higher weight about 75-80% of the time at least. The worst offending products tended to be large packages of dinner rolls, big heavy loaves of bread, pastries, etc. The Midwest sure needs to get with the program and lay off the wheat substantially. It's getting more than a bit disturbing out there, unfortuantely.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The quantity of the bread items in the carts tended to be correlated with higher weight about 75-80% of the time at least. The worst offending products tended to be large packages of dinner rolls, big heavy loaves of bread, pastries, etc.
People don't eat bread by itself, so as the quantity of bread goes up so does the amount of butter, creme cheese, deli meat, etc. Europeans have been eating breads for thousands of years but its only recently that obesity has become a problem....so obviously its not the bread. But bread consumption in the past was different, breads were whole grain and weren't eaten with a bunch of butter, deli meat, etc...they were eaten by itself or with some soup, beans, etc. So people don't need to stop eating bread, they need to switch to 100% whole grain breads and stop lathering it with fats and refined sugars.

When I look in overweight folks shopping carts its always the same story,a lot of meat, a lot of fatty foods, a lot of refined carbohydrates and a lot of sugary foods.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Another update regarding what I've noticed people buying at the grocery store... Today I noticed that the individuals who purchased bread products of any type tended to put them right in front of their cart at eye level also tended to be overweight or obese. The quantity of the bread items in the carts tended to be correlated with higher weight about 75-80% of the time at least. The worst offending products tended to be large packages of dinner rolls, big heavy loaves of bread, pastries, etc. The Midwest sure needs to get with the program and lay off the wheat substantially. It's getting more than a bit disturbing out there, unfortuantely.
Wow, who would've thought there was some nefarious activity going on. I put MY bread products on the top part of the cart, so they don't get squished by the heavier stuff I put in the bottom part of the cart.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Wow, who would've thought there was some nefarious activity going on. I put MY bread products on the top part of the cart, so they don't get squished by the heavier stuff I put in the bottom part of the cart.
You by bread? OMG based on the logic of this thread you must have a wheat belly.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You by bread? OMG based on the logic of this thread you must have a wheat belly.
I have a wheat-and-sugar belly. It's caused by something I like to call "eating too much of things that I should cut down on, but don't need to eliminate, but it tastes so darned good I have chosen to accept the belly and eat the garlic bread." It's not caused by an intolerance, or disease, or disorder, or syndrome.

Your mileage may vary

Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 PM

206 posts, read 573,673 times
That is SO interesting! I am not celiac...but I notice such a difference when I am off it!
thanks!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
another update:

now almost 6 months off wheat. People are starting to comment 'you've lost so much weight!' and 'your skin is glowing'...

I found pasta I like!! Rice pasta Tinkyada Pasta Joy. It is the closest to the real thing.

I'm starting to not even want baked goods anymore or bread. The only time it's hard is fresh and hot Italian or French bread. That hurts. But it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss