Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The reason for the "low-fat craze" was because people were consuming TOO MUCH fat. Not that they were consuming any fat at all. Yes, fat is important to the human physiology. That doesn't mean you should eat as much as you can possibly stuff into your face, consume a few pounds of bacon with at least two dozen eggs weekly, and top it off with a full-fat hot fudge sundae with 3 scoops of ice cream, whipped cream, and marshmallow fluff.

People were eating UNHEALTHY amounts of fat. And because humans are notorious for lack of self-control and personal accountability, the diet market stood to profit from giving step-by-step instructions to people on how to lose weight. And one of those steps was to cut down on the fat intake. At the time, it was absolutely spot on correct advice.

Now that people know better than to overconsume fat, you don't see people lining up at McDonald's every day for two Fishwiches, a large fry, and a large chocolate shake with two apple pies. Oh wait - huh. You do. Well I guess maybe if they..cut down on the fat...as they should've been doing if they had listened to the low-fat diet gurus - they wouldn't be eating all that crap.

If you want to pretend that eating garbage is healthy, simply because it has fat in it, enjoy your Big Mac. But don't think you can fool other people into believing in a ridiculous absolute such as "fat is good for you, just cut out starches and eat fats instead." Because absolutes are absolutely stupid, irresponsible, and ignorant. A double-whopper with extra cheese, minus the bun, is still going to make you fat. The bun's impact on your obesity, in that case, will be negligible.
No, it wasn't. Otherwise it would have worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Years ago my Aunt went on an Atkins diet. She ate bacon and eggs for breakfast. Steak with butter on it for lunch, and a huge dinner of beef roast. Her skin always looked yellow to me. She died at age 58. Most folks in our family live past 95.

I eat no bread, pasta, cereal...and while I watch my carbs, I don't eat bacon or other high fat products. I think pasta is a huge trigger for me. I crave it. And when. Eat it, I feel bloated. Rough....I love it. But I know it is toxic for me.

Look at anyone in a lower income, who eats macaroni and chese or other processed wheat products. They have huge "wheat bellies"....

Old 02-17-2013, 01:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Years ago my Aunt went on an Atkins diet. She ate bacon and eggs for breakfast. Steak with butter on it for lunch, and a huge dinner of beef roast. Her skin always looked yellow to me. She died at age 58. Most folks in our family live past 95.

I eat no bread, pasta, cereal...and while I watch my carbs, I don't eat bacon or other high fat products. I think pasta is a huge trigger for me. I crave it. And when. Eat it, I feel bloated. Rough....I love it. But I know it is toxic for me.

Look at anyone in a lower income, who eats macaroni and chese or other processed wheat products. They have huge "wheat bellies"....
It depresses me when I see so many overweight and obese people immediately go to the bread aisles in the stores. It is the cheap processed foods with high carbohydrates that are in the inherent problem, regardless of what other formats they are sold as.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No, it wasn't. Otherwise it would have worked.
Ironically, the obesity trend in our country started very nearly the same time as the advice to eat less fat.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,228 times
In addition to not eating a healthy diet, many people seem to not get enough exercise, no matter how many gyms there are now. You need to do cardio, muscle toning, strengthening, and flexibility exercises to get the best benefits. Intense cardio, dumbells, pushups, planking, pilates, yoga, barre have helped me maintain a healthy weight along with healthy eating. Yoga and pilates probably cleared my mind and thinking more than any wheat free diet. Also work was more manual 50 years ago, now most of us sit at a desk all day at work.

On the other hand, Dr. Davis' Wheat Belly is interesting and sparks new theories that need to be tested. Not sure how I feel about it though, whether the GMO wheat is really making us sicker, or is it the fact that people eating a wheat free diet and feeling better is just a placebo effect. Another confounder is that people eating low carb/wheat intake diets are also more conscience about what they eat in general, making them feel healthier as well. Research scientists need to conduct many nutritional epidemiology studies in order to really validate that wheat is making us "fat and sick."

I will admit, I do eat less wheat than I used to and if I do eat wheat I stick to whole grains.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
It really irks me that all the yogurt is fat free...don't they realize in order to absorb the healthy bacteria in yogurt you MUST have fat???
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I make a trip to a specific store to buy full-fat plain Greek yogurt. VERY few stores carry full-fat yogurts. Many areas don't have it available at all.
For those of you who are having trouble purchasing whole milk yogurt, I thought I'd share how simple it is to make it at home with no special equipment. First, bring a quart of whole milk to a low boil in a clean pot. Remove the pot from the heat and let the milk cool to about 115 degrees. Add a 1/4 cup of store-bought yogurt with active cultures to the warm milk and whisk gently to combine. It doesn't matter if it's whole milk yogurt or skim yogurt, just that it has active cultures. (For future batches, set aside a little yogurt each time you make it.) Pour the milk and yogurt mixture into a clean quart jar and leave it undisturbed in a warm place. Usually, I heat my oven to 180 degrees and then turn in off. Alternatively, I place the jar in a bucket lined with a bath towel and a heating pad set on low. Leave for four to six hours, until it ferments and thickens. If you like your yogurt a little sour, leave it for eight hours or overnight. Then, chill it in the refrigerator. If you enjoy Greek yogurt, strain your yogurt in the fridge until it is your preferred consistency. That's it! Very easy and delicious, and a heck of a lot cheaper than store-bought. Have you seen the cost of a quart of Fage lately? Yikes!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Not all yogurt is fat-free. Only fat-free yogurt is fat-free. Most other yogurt is low-fat, and some yogurt is full-fat. What annoys me, is that greek yogurt has replaced normal yogurt with a couple of the only brands I actually like to eat, and I can't stand greek yogurt.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
This is interesting...look at this Mayo Clinic Diabetic Diet..
Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - MayoClinic.com

It is loaded with carbs and sugar. I literally could not believe it. Pancakes for breakfast, rice....with juice for lunch...and pasta for dinner. Carb overload....talk about "wheat belly"...I am not a dietician...but seemed crazy to me.

Better plan...eggs for breakfast, milk and fruit, salad, with chicken for lunch or vegetable soup, dinner, salmon and vegetables. Maybe a yogurt for snack, and some berries.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Ironically, the obesity trend in our country started very nearly the same time as the advice to eat less fat.
It did because it wasn't the fat that was making us fat, it was too much food and we weren't all that fat back then anyway--lots of people who would look normal weight now just wanted to lose 10 lbs and they embraced the fat free thing b/c the voice of authority said that if you cut the fat back to no more than 30% of cals and some like Pritikin suggested going as low as 10%, that you could eat as much as you wanted. People did cut back on fat and they were exercising more than before but they were eating more than before too and eating more junk food b/c you can't see how much fat is in that stuff and I think we've collectively gained 10 lbs a decade. I think though that the thing about fat is that it's self limiting and there's only so much of it you can eat before you just plain get sick but with carbs, the more you eat the more you want due to blood sugar swings. Fat does nothing to your blood sugar level but carbs mess with it fiercely. I don't believe in demonizing carbs but we all eat too much of them. In the old days they were poor man's food.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
[quote=jasper12;28342547]This is interesting...look at this Mayo Clinic Diabetic Diet..
Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - MayoClinic.com

It is loaded with carbs and sugar. I literally could not believe it. Pancakes for breakfast, rice....with juice for lunch...and pasta for dinner. Carb overload....talk about "wheat belly"...I am not a dietician...but seemed crazy to me.

Better plan...eggs for breakfast, milk and fruit, salad, with chicken for lunch or vegetable soup, dinner, salmon and vegetables. Maybe a yogurt for snack, and some berries.[/QUOte)

My husband is diebetic. Things like rice, pancakes and pastas have to be eaten rarely and in small portions....certainly not all on the same day. Yogurt is full of sugar....look at the label of a carton of flavored or even plain low fat yogurt...the lowest calorie and carb yogurt is plain unsweetened unflavored Greek yogurt but even it has quite a few carbs epecially if you are eating fruit with it. My husband does not eat yogurt. He is vegan, eats a fairly low fat high carb diet as in lots of fresh vegetables of many varieties, limited grains (he eats whole high fiber grains every day but watches his portion control, nuts, avocados, nut butters, some soy.....he does cardio and weights 4 to 5 times a week and with oral diabetes medication his blood sugar is around 87.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss