Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am an advocate of anything that works for people to get healthier. I am not an advocate of the latest trends. I know people who cannot eat gluten because of allergies and I know people who have celiacs.
A lot if not most over weight people are susceptible to anything they hear about that will make losing weight fast without a lot of effort. So when people have no issues with wheat whatsoever start jumping on the bandwagon they are going to be let down and chalk it up to another failure. And they will go back to eating processed wheat products because not eating wheat was not the magic pill they were hoping for.
You know, I'm not a fan of the latest trends either but it seems everything in life is a latest trend these days--I carry an iphone nowadays and that's something I never thought I'd do. According to the Wheat belly doc, the wheat that is in our food these days is a special hybrid form that has only been on the market for about the last 60-80 years and there is evidence that many people have become sensitive to it and esp since it's in just about everything. Used to be that people ate bread as part of a more or less balanced, and truly natural diet. Now wheat is in all the processed foods and has taken over a much larger % of the diet than it ever did before plus it's not the same wheat that folks ate all those centuries before this. Now we see weight problems and diabetes and all sorts of problems that we didn't see as much before and it's not just the US, though it's worse here than most places.

I"m having this thought too--my mother and grandmother both died less than 2 years ago with colon cancer. Two of my great-grandparents had colon cancer and my mom's sis just had a tumor removed from her colon yesterday. It's certainly possible that those in my family have had wheat sensitivity all along and we're just now learning about these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You know, I'm not a fan of the latest trends either but it seems everything in life is a latest trend these days--I carry an iphone nowadays and that's something I never thought I'd do. According to the Wheat belly doc, the wheat that is in our food these days is a special hybrid form that has only been on the market for about the last 60-80 years and there is evidence that many people have become sensitive to it and esp since it's in just about everything. Used to be that people ate bread as part of a more or less balanced, and truly natural diet. Now wheat is in all the processed foods and has taken over a much larger % of the diet than it ever did before plus it's not the same wheat that folks ate all those centuries before this. Now we see weight problems and diabetes and all sorts of problems that we didn't see as much before and it's not just the US, though it's worse here than most places.

I"m having this thought too--my mother and grandmother both died less than 2 years ago with colon cancer. Two of my great-grandparents had colon cancer and my mom's sis just had a tumor removed from her colon yesterday. It's certainly possible that those in my family have had wheat sensitivity all along and we're just now learning about these things.
I know what you are saying is true. I suffered from Celiac for years but it was never diagnosed until 2 almost years ago. I exhibited classic symptoms and saw many different doctors. I suffered with severe attacks of abdominal pain, rashes and digestion issues...none of my doctors ever tested me for celiac. I still have absorpion issues that are causing me to be ill even though I eat a gluten free diet. Doctors not only miss symptoms of wheat sensitivity, they miss symptoms of Celiac which is downright dangerous for the patient.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Look up dermatitis herpetiformis and see if that fits. There are a lot of people in the celiac forums (not here obviously) that talk about that and post pics of theirs. Tons of doctors misdiagnose it.
I thought it was that but it doesn't quite fit the description or the pictures. And I asked the second dermatologist and she said definitely not. BUT I did find out that it is probably hormonal and the beginning of menopause (yay) ...went to my gynecologist and she confirmed it is absolutely that and know what she said first? "The best thing you could have done is give up wheat. That would have been my first suggestion." then she proceeded to give me advice on herbs and teas and whatnot.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
funny stuff.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I know what you are saying is true. I suffered from Celiac for years but it was never diagnosed until 2 almost years ago. I exhibited classic symptoms and saw many different doctors. I suffered with severe attacks of abdominal pain, rashes and digestion issues...none of my doctors ever tested me for celiac. I still have absorpion issues that are causing me to be ill even though I eat a gluten free diet. Doctors not only miss symptoms of wheat sensitivity, they miss symptoms of Celiac which is downright dangerous for the patient.
Nowadays they're getting better about dxing those with the classic symptoms, but apparently there are many not so classical symptoms that go un-dxed b/c they don't seem to have anything to do with the gut. I saw one of those medical mysteries shows once where this lady's toddler was having seizures but only every now and then and only she saw them and the docs were beginning to look at her like she had munchhausen's or something but she finally got it on video. I don't remember what made them think it might be celiac disease but turned out that's what it was.

As for your absorption issues, it may be that your gut still needs to heal. I've read good things about glutamine and I'm wondering if you take probiotics? Did you lose or gain weight after you got dx'ed? After a lifetime of untreated celiac I'll bet you have a lot of inflammation still.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

Like everything, how you define things is important. Some know it alls on this board define low-carb diets as a new fad, when actually the idea that starches are fattening has been around for hundreds of years, and low carb diets have been around at least since the mid 1800 hundreds if not before. Even if people weren't conciously doing a low carb diet, people generally ate less carbs then they do today.

If you want to look at a fad, look at low fat dieting.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Like everything, how you define things is important. Some know it alls on this board define low-carb diets as a new fad, when actually the idea that starches are fattening has been around for hundreds of years, and low carb diets have been around at least since the mid 1800 hundreds if not before. Even if people weren't conciously doing a low carb diet, people generally ate less carbs then they do today.

If you want to look at a fad, look at low fat dieting.
There were many more people doing manual labor in the 19th century than there are today. People that are washing clothes by hand, sweeping with a broom, plowing field and doing the work that presently is done by machines and computers - well those people generally required more calories and more fat than those who work at a desk all day.

We, as a society, are less active than we were 100 years ago, yet we eat more fat, more sugar, more empty calories than ever before.

I eat a low fat, gluten-free vegan diet and I am healthy (other than having Celiac disease) and in the middle of the normal weight range for my age and size. Our diet works well for me, my husband and many that we know - it is also an eating plan advocated by our nutritionist and our doctor.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM

I was rereading my book and picked up on something that I had missed before. It's that not only is diabetes type II exploding in our society, but type I as well and there seems to be some connection between celiac and type I diabetes--obvious enough that most docs test for celiac when they get a new patient with type I. The reason this is interesting to me is that my father was type I and had been since age 13. Obviously this was before the age of the new hybrid wheat but it's possible that he had some undx'ed problems with wheat as well. I remember that his mood was always the worst right before supper and maybe that's because he always had a sandwich for lunch. He always had bacon and eggs for breakfast and he was in a fantastic mood for the first part of the day. Of course it probably had a lot to do with his blood sugar drops and he drank beer in the evening, which he should never have done but that was his one weakness. He passed away at age 57.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There were many more people doing manual labor in the 19th century than there are today. People that are washing clothes by hand, sweeping with a broom, plowing field and doing the work that presently is done by machines and computers - well those people generally required more calories and more fat than those who work at a desk all day.

We, as a society, are less active than we were 100 years ago, yet we eat more fat, more sugar, more empty calories than ever before.

I eat a low fat, gluten-free vegan diet and I am healthy (other than having Celiac disease) and in the middle of the normal weight range for my age and size. Our diet works well for me, my husband and many that we know - it is also an eating plan advocated by our nutritionist and our doctor.
Our consumption of fat has gone done in recent decades, while our consumption of carbohydrates and especially sugar has gone up dramatically.

I don't think us being less active has much to do with it, but I know that is contrary to the eat less/move more meme.

But if what you're doing works for you, great, more power to you.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM

You don't think the average America is eating less fat? Oh come on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss