Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Whole grains are not healthy simply because most of our bodies have not adapted to the new hybrid derivation that is grown now compared to the past. The gliadin found in wheat can also be addictive to some people, meaning that they crave more of the food item even though it offers no benefits at all. The additivies and the laundry list of ingredients found in "whole grain" breads should be enough to avoid them entirely for many people. Also, go down the bread aisle in the grocery store and the unpleasant aromas will immediately greet you. Quite scary indeed.
There are plenty of good grains out there. They are not in processed foods or the bread aisle not unless you happen to find an organic loaf that actually uses the whole grain. Quinoa, bulgar, flax, brown rice, wild rice, groats, oats, buckwheat....the list goes on, and they provide fiber and nutrients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Here is a Harvard study on the pro's of whole grains if you are interested.

Harvard School of Public Health » The Nutrition Source » Health Gains from Whole Grains
It's not news that whole grains are healthier than refined/stripped/overly-processed grains. However, comparing whole grains to refined grains is not the same as comparing whole grains to NO grains. There is nothing in a grain, whole or otherwise, that is essential to good health in humans that can't be gotten from a non-grain source.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
You are the exception and not the rule. It works for you. But statistically its a long shot that people will give up a food group for any long term period.
Wheat is not a food group--grain is. There are grains that do not contain gluten, though the truly gluten intolerant need to be careful when buying those as they can often be contaminated from being processed in the same facility. Anyway, no one on here is saying that since some people don't deal well with wheat that everyone in the world should stop eating it too. Some are saying that if you have problems with your health and you can't lose weight and you've tried everything else and nothing has worked, perhaps this is the problem. I just can't see the downside of pointing folks toward information that may help them. If it does help them and they find it worth it, they will continue but whether they do or don't is their business.

Also for the whole wheat folks, I just did a little google search and found that the Glycemic index (GI) for WW bread is 68 and for white bread it is 79. The GI for a bran muffin is 60 and 61 for a hamburger bun! Seems the bran is not slowing anything down. BTW, the GI for the same amount of cals in table sugar is 65. According to the Wheat Belly doc, whole wheat is no better for you than the enriched kind so if you're going to eat wheat you may as well eat what you like. French bread has a GI of 95. I remember when I first saw the GI tables I thought this can't be right, but apparently it is and we do know that folks are fatter now than ever. If you don't believe me, just go watch a vintage movie from the 70's or earlier.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM

I am an advocate of anything that works for people to get healthier. I am not an advocate of the latest trends. I know people who cannot eat gluten because of allergies and I know people who have celiacs.
A lot if not most over weight people are susceptible to anything they hear about that will make losing weight fast without a lot of effort. So when people have no issues with wheat whatsoever start jumping on the bandwagon they are going to be let down and chalk it up to another failure. And they will go back to eating processed wheat products because not eating wheat was not the magic pill they were hoping for.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
I am an advocate of anything that works for people to get healthier. I am not an advocate of the latest trends. I know people who cannot eat gluten because of allergies and I know people who have celiacs.
A lot if not most over weight people are susceptible to anything they hear about that will make losing weight fast without a lot of effort. So when people have no issues with wheat whatsoever start jumping on the bandwagon they are going to be let down and chalk it up to another failure. And they will go back to eating processed wheat products because not eating wheat was not the magic pill they were hoping for.
Yeah all this talk about gluten and wheat an intolerance and celiacs - doesn't really belong in the weight loss part of the forum, there's a general health part of the forum where discussion about allergies and intolerances to certain foods are more appropriate.

It's pretty confusing when you look for new posts about *weight loss* in a *weight loss* thread, and find it filled with arguments and discussion about allergies and intolerances to food types. If you have allergies to foods, avoid those foods. Avoiding those foods won't make you lose weight, if you're overeating other things. One has nothing to do with the other. Allergies don't cause weight gain. Gluten intolerance doesn't cause weight gain. Eating foods that you're allergic to, or intolerant of, might cause bloating, among many other possible symptoms. But it won't make you any fatter, eating a slice of bread, than anyone else who eats a slice of the same bread. And -not- eating it, but eating a 3-scoop hot fudge sundae instead, won't make you any thinner, than someone who isn't allergic, -not- eating the slice of bread, but eating a 3-scoop hot fudge sundae.

On the other hand - whether you're allergic to wheat or not - you are very likely to gain weight, if you eat 4 slices with 2 tablespoons of butter on each slice, along with a tablespoon of peanutbutter on each slice, in addition to your usual nightly whole chicken dinner with mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, pulled pork sandwiches, and biscuits and gravy. So if you're trying to lose weight, then yeah - cutting out on those 4 slices of bread might be useful

Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
It's not news that whole grains are healthier than refined/stripped/overly-processed grains. However, comparing whole grains to refined grains is not the same as comparing whole grains to NO grains. There is nothing in a grain, whole or otherwise, that is essential to good health in humans that can't be gotten from a non-grain source.
I guess you didn't read the article.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I have gone "wheat free" except for a few back slides here and there, for the last few months. No more bread, pasta, and I really notice that I feel more energetic and think more clearly. Doing the "Paleo" plan now...I was on "Eat Clean", but felt bloated with the oatmeal for breakfast.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have gone "wheat free" except for a few back slides here and there, for the last few months. No more bread, pasta, and I really notice that I feel more energetic and think more clearly. Doing the "Paleo" plan now...I was on "Eat Clean", but felt bloated with the oatmeal for breakfast.
I tried a no-starch diet back in the 80's. So, no wheat, no popcorn, no potatoes, no oatmeal, no corn - no starchy foods at all. I ended up gaining 3 pounds at the end of the month, because I substituted all those starches with dairy and pork rinds, mostly. I ditched the diet, stuffed some fresh crunchy hot-out-of-the-oven italian bread in my mouth, and never tried that ridiculousness again. The only way you'll get me to cut that stuff out again, if if I become intolerant to gluten. And even then, I'll still eat popcorn - which has no gluten. And potatoes, which have no gluten. And whatever other kinds of grain or starchy vegetables I enjoy. And maybe I'll even cave in and try gluten-free pizza, just to see if it's any good. Doubtful - but you never know. The pizza joint down the street makes it on request. And they have the best pizza this side of Pepe's.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
You are the exception and not the rule. It works for you. But statistically its a long shot that people will give up a food group for any long term period.
That is generally true. For years I had an addiction to cheese and pizza was one of my favorite foods when I was younger. Why? I was addicted to the gliadin and caesin properties found in the wheat and dairy. I am on the high functioning end of the Autism spectrum and giving up those foods was very tough at first, but it got easier with time for me. I had another relapse with cheese recently, and I quickly found out yet again why I must avoid it. Whenever I eat the cheese or dairy derivative I get these unusual changes in mood and I become more stressed and anxious. It is called brain fog and it isn't pleasant. Had I discovered this problem earlier I wouldn't have struggled as much with some of my higher level college courses.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss