Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
This has been an interesting read.

I was diagnosed with diabetes last month and cut out the bad carbs. When I saw the regular doctor, one of the things he mentioned was to think about eliminating wheat.
I didn't question it because at the time, and at this time, I've given up white flour, and sweets cold turkey and eliminating something else seemed overwhelming.

A couple of days ago someone on Facebook was talking about the dangers of wheat and at first, I thought it was a bunch of BS but I've been reading about it and I've read the comments on here. I was allergic to wheat when I was a kid but I outgrew it or at least I think I did.

Within the past couple of days, I've decided to cut back on wheat products but I'm not ready to give it up completely right now. I want to see if I see some kind of difference. I had an english muffin this morning and not sure how it made me feel or if there was a difference.

Anyway, I'm in the process of learning about a healthy diet after eating a bad diet all these years.
I guess this would be the same as eating gluten-free? I have talked to more than one person who has gone gluten free lately and they have lost weight and feel 100% better. These folks had family members who had gluten allergies, but they did not, but the whole family changed their diets for the allergie sufferer.

Song, hope the cancer ordeal is behind you. My 5 years is up this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess this would be the same as eating gluten-free? I have talked to more than one person who has gone gluten free lately and they have lost weight and feel 100% better. These folks had family members who had gluten allergies, but they did not, but the whole family changed their diets for the allergie sufferer.

Song, hope the cancer ordeal is behind you. My 5 years is up this summer.
Not the same as wheat-free. Wheat has gluten, but wheat does not equate with gluten. You can get gluten-free wheat products. People who don't eat wheat, don't eat those either. People who don't eat gluten, can still eat wheat products as long as they're gluten-free.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
As far as I know there are no gluten free wheat products.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,063 times
We read the "Wheat Belly" book last summer and have eliminated wheat, except occasionally. It did make losing weight easier, and I'm a little trimmer. However, the main impact we've noticed is that I stopped snoring and have far less congestion than previously. Another change is that reduced carbs means almost no energy spikes and dips during the day.

Since we both like bread, we make batches of almond meal "bread" every week. While it's not so good for sandwiches, it makes wonderful toast, with or without something on it.

We also make gluten-free pizza (and there's a pizza chain that has great gluten-free pizza, too), and almond meal muffins sometimes.

Neither of us has a what allergy (though I wonder, since eliminating it reduced congestion, and I also find that I rarely need an antacid any more), but overall feel better without wheat. We do indulge occasionally in the bread at restaurants, so we're not fanatical about it.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not the same as wheat-free. Wheat has gluten, but wheat does not equate with gluten. You can get gluten-free wheat products. People who don't eat wheat, don't eat those either. People who don't eat gluten, can still eat wheat products as long as they're gluten-free.
Tell me about that, as I've never heard of it. There is buckwheat, which is gluten-free but that's b/c it's not really wheat. Anyway, what would be the point of taking gluten out of wheat? The main thing about wheat that is important is that it has gluten which makes it rise and create all those little holes you see in your bread. If you don't need your flour to do that then you'll probably just use another grain.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Buckwheat is a seed so no gluten - similar to quinoa. I eat a lot of buckwheat. Wheat, rye and barley have gluten. Wheat grass, as long as it doesn't sprout a seed has no gluten...the grass has to be used before it sprouts the little brown seed otherwise there is gluten. There are some scientists that contend that since all grains have an endosperm that all grains therefore have gluten....if this is true, then oats, rice, etc. have gluten but I don't think this is a widely held idea and I'm ignoring that info for now since I love oatmeal - it is about the only grain I eat.

Some researchers also believe that all those with Celiac were at one time gluten-sensitive before they developed full blown Celiac.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
As far as I know there are no gluten free wheat products.
Someone can make it for you or if you're not suffering from Celiac, you can make it yourself. But yes you can make gluten-free wheat. It's made similarly to sourdough, which hydrolizes the wheat and seperates the gluten out of it. There still ends up with trace amounts of gluten in it but one particular study using this hydrolized wheat, showed Celiac patients consuming bread made from it every day for 60 days, then getting blood-tested and biopsied and interviewed. All the patients had the same result: no change, and they all felt fine during and after the study.

There's a video summary of the study from a doctor who specializes in gastroenterology (and I believe she also has Celiac). She was not involved in the study; it took place in Italy. You can google "wheat-free gluten" and see the youtube video - it's very short, just a couple minutes of the doctor explaining the process of hydrolizing and administering the bread made from the gluten-free wheat (gluten-free, in the USA, can legally be anything less than 20 parts per million).

Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 AM

Interesting. Sourdough bread = my favorite....haven't had it in 2 years (since my diagnosis)....hopefully good things are coming down the pike for Celiacs, as more and more are diagnosed and manufacturers are looking to attract those Celiac dollars and more research is being done.

Thanks for the info Anonchick.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM

The funny thing about gluten knowledge - the reason I even know anything about it in the first place, is because I had a friend whose husband was on some kind of wonky diet, vegetarian mixed with some other thing. The only bread he would eat was gluten bread. His wife (my friend) would do *something* with dough to make the gluten seperate, and then she'd make the bread from the resulting gluten. It was actually pretty good. A little overmoist for my taste but not bad. The point is though, the stuff she took the gluten FROM - had no more gluten in it. Or very little. So I've known such a thing is possible since around 18 years ago - that's when I went to her house and saw her doing this for the first time

Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM

The Times article from last fall basically said that researchers are working on a gluten free wheat but haven't perfected it yet - that was the article I referred to a couple of posts ago. I'm having so many absorption issues right now, I'd be chicken to try it at this point.

I'd love to know how your friend's wife made that bread though. You would basically have to remove the endosperm (where the gluten is) or maybe neutralize it somehow. Dreaming of sourdough but then what is sourdough without real butter? A total pipe dream on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss